SMU honours system - how are they remunerated at the public sector?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
too bad then, walk into talk to them!
SMU itself also considered cum laude as 2nd lower at 1 point.
perhaps a good majority of students are getting cum laude at SMU so that is the case, but to make such claim with other
Uni such as Williams when only 35% of the students get cum laude and better; that is unfair to say they are 2nd lower. some Uni only top 25% gets cum laude or better.

Last edited:

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It appears that there are may be some serious misconceptions about our local universities' academic credibility.

From what I know, NUS and NTU students have an option known as S/U, where the student can declare a module to be taken on an ungraded basis, i.e. the module's grade does not count into their GPA or CAP. NUS may be using a retrospective system, meaning you declare S/U after the grade is released, and NTU may be using a prospective system where you declare in advance.

There is of course a limit to the number of modules you can choose to declare using the S/U option. But whatever it is, it means NUS and NTU students can effectively neglect the poor grades they score in those modules.

Whereas in SMU, there is not such thing as S/U. If you happen to score very badly for a module, your only way out is to work harder for your other modules. In this case, an A+ seems to be the logical reprieve. but is it? As far as I know, an A+ is given to a handful of very outstanding students in the cohort, and some profs can choose not to give A+ if they do not think any student is deserving of it.

So to claim that "SMU's A+ screws the system up" may be a grossly unfair statement.

It is as good as comparing apples to oranges, when you compare the 2 types of classification systems. The fact is, no matter which education system you come from. If you are a first class or a summa cum laude, you must have really deserved it, for you can never get lucky throughout your university life. Everyone who has gone through university knows that.
Ya in 3 modules that are not major modules...

tbs

Reaction score
if you look at the graduation booklet, less than 30% of the graduates have cum laude or above.

for NUS/NTU, top 50% gets honours classification (by proceeding for honours year) but for SMU, less than 30% gets cum laude or higher classification.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you look at the graduation booklet, less than 30% of the graduates have cum laude or above.

for NUS/NTU, top 50% gets honours classification (by proceeding for honours year) but for SMU, less than 30% gets cum laude or higher classification.

good info.
any info on the distributions?

vampure

Reaction score
good info.
any info on the distributions?

yes, I drew data from SMU School of Information Systems (SIS) graduation booklets of 2015 and 2016.

on careful observation you will notice asterisks(*) beside the student names, the number of stars is determined by their honors class, cum laude *, magna **, summa ***

I couldn't find out the number of enrolled students but out of the approximately 280 graduating students, 30 people have cum laude (10.7%), 15 have magna (5.3%) and 5 have summa (1.8%).

This results reveal that 17.8% of students graduate with honors.

https://sis.smu.edu.sg/sites/default/files/sis/pdf/events/commencement/Comm15_Progbook_SIS.pdf
https://sis.smu.edu.sg/sites/sis.sm...f/events/commencement/Comm16_Progbook_SIS.PDF

Last edited:

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, I drew data from SMU School of Information Systems (SIS) graduation booklets of 2015 and 2016.

on careful observation you will notice asterisks(*) beside the student names, the number of stars is determined by their honors class, cum laude *, magna **, summa ***

I couldn't find out the number of enrolled students but out of the approximately 280 graduating students, 30 people have cum laude (10.7%), 15 have magna (5.3%) and 5 have summa (1.8%).

This results reveal that only a shocking 17.8% of students graduate with honors.

https://sis.smu.edu.sg/sites/default/files/sis/pdf/events/commencement/Comm15_Progbook_SIS.pdf
https://sis.smu.edu.sg/sites/sis.sm...f/events/commencement/Comm16_Progbook_SIS.PDF

https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default...ions/education-statistics-digest/esd-2015.pdf

you should be able to find the total enrollment here

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.