Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite hands-on | The Verge

Kindle_Paperwhite__Angle_gallery_post.jpg

WiFi-only USD119 (presumably for with offers)
3G+WiFi USD179 (again, with offers probably)
Front-lit ala Nook Glow
High resolution 212ppi display *MEGA DROOL*
Paperwhite: Higher contrast (deeper blacks, whiter whites) *DROOL*
212 grams heavy, 9.1mm thick

Kindle_Paperwhite__In_Cover_gallery_post.jpg

Kindle_Paperwhite_gallery_post.jpg

Last edited:

expositox

Reaction score
To add on to TS,

9to5google.com/2012/09/06/amazon-kindle-event-liveblog/

Kindle Fire HD (a.k.a. Kindle HD)

Original Kindle has new plastic, now 10 bucks cheaper, USD69.

8.9'' Kindle HD
-Dual Dolby Speaker
-254 ppi (that's retina)

7'' Kindle SD
-Longer battery life
-more RAM (faster performance)
-USD159

Kindles are 41% faster than the iPad, no idea which one though

ctrlesc

Reaction score
Unless I read wrongly, but the only 2GB storage on paperwhite is really a big turn off! I had been waiting for Amazon to come out with more storage space or at least give me an expansion slot for memory card. Why just can't be like Nook with an expansion slot? :(

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Unless I read wrongly, but the only 2GB storage on paperwhite is really a big turn off! I had been waiting for Amazon to come out with more storage space or at least give me an expansion slot for memory card. Why just can't be like Nook with an expansion slot? :(

I thought Kindles always had 8GB.

And they missed out on physical page-turners and a physical button to activate the light.

Kinda deal-breakers for me.

EDIT: It is indeed 2GB. Gosh.

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Pre-ordered!

I like the decision to limit the thing to onboard 2gb. Never had enough books to remotely approach the limit...

tofubean

Reaction score
Same. I only put 20-40 books on my kindle. But i'm not too sure about the light. My kindle 3 is still doing fine. Was hoping it'll be a great improvement for me to upgrade to this but will have to see more reviews before i decide.

alfseeto

Reaction score
Very tempting to upgrade, I am using the model before kindle touch (the one with the keyboard and smaller screen). The keyboard is really a waste of space since I never use it. Sigh..but the leather cover was rather expensive and I can't justify upgrading since the kindle is working fine.

fireantz

Reaction score
this child is tempting!! but i have a 7 mth old kindle touch already

davidquah

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same. I only put 20-40 books on my kindle. But i'm not too sure about the light. My kindle 3 is still doing fine. Was hoping it'll be a great improvement for me to upgrade to this but will have to see more reviews before i decide.

well i still loving my kindle 3.
even kindle touch didn't tempt me to upgrade.

i even got a spare kindle 3 in case the old one dies :o

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
May i ask if e 3g wrks in sg? I doubt so right since sg is nt under their radar fr selling directly.

jeffyen2

Reaction score
May i ask if e 3g wrks in sg? I doubt so right since sg is nt under their radar fr selling directly.

It does work, technically. (There's a roaming sim card inside.) However, I'd rather not as it's still 'experimental', the device is more expensive, and I don't want to 'raise any red flags'.

shinkuaku

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Once you've seen the device, its a little hard to say no. I know i gave in to the touch version. Loved it... Almost on par with my ipad3 as it helped me read a lot more.

But, similarly, i will wait for more hands-on reviews before putting in the bucks.

Full brightness for the ipad and "0" power used for the kindle (except for page turns).

The paperwhite version is the best of both worlds, for reading...;)

Last edited:

BOMPEEPEE

Reaction score
I'm really interested in getting it. As it will be my first tablet and e-reader (other
than my iphone), I have some burning questions.

1: Amazon doesn't ship to Singapore. How are you guys buying it?
2: Will we be able to use the 3G version in Singapore?
3: I saw that it only has 2GB of storage space, or 1.45GB for user content. Will that be a real problem in the long run? What are your thoughts, people who use e-readers regularly?
4: Is there a huge difference between the version that has advertisements and the version which is ad-free? Anyone has any experience with the ads? Will they be "ïn your face" or easily ignored?
5: From what i read, books are downloaded through Amazon. Will I able to put my pdf books in it?

Thanks for your time.

LouisLoh

Reaction score
I'm really interested in getting it. As it will be my first tablet and e-reader (other
than my iphone), I have some burning questions.

1: Amazon doesn't ship to Singapore. How are you guys buying it?
2: Will we be able to use the 3G version in Singapore?
3: I saw that it only has 2GB of storage space, or 1.45GB for user content. Will that be a real problem in the long run? What are your thoughts, people who use e-readers regularly?
4: Is there a huge difference between the version that has advertisements and the version which is ad-free? Anyone has any experience with the ads? Will they be "ïn your face" or easily ignored?
5: From what i read, books are downloaded through Amazon. Will I able to put my pdf books in it?

Thanks for your time.

1. Use a shipping service like comgateway or vpost
2. My friend's Kindle Keyboard 3G works in Singapore
3. If you're just reading books it shouldn't be a problem. Only when you start loading PDF textbooks will it fill up really fast. Normal novels should be no problem at all
4. My other friend who's got a Kindle Touch didn't register with Amazon (he sideloads his books) and TADA no ads at all
5. Yes, you can sideload PDFs

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.