Finland Winter Holiday

sereneong19

Reaction score
Indeed, the cabin was one of the best accommodation I've ever stayed in during a holiday. :o The kitchen is fully stocked with any kind of utensils or crockery you can think of. Even salt/flour/etc is available. Coffee machine, toaster, frying pan... There's a built-in Miele dishwasher too. And a Miele washing machine/dryer for your laundry. There's washing powder provided as well. That explains the price, I guess. =:p

If you are going at CNY period, it means that it's almost at the dead of the winter. :eek: Gonna be super cold... I was at Rovaniemi two years ago during Christmas, and I remember the temperature at the town square reads -20 degrees...

hehehe~~ya...i know it's the coldest period of all. i think i may wanna take up the challenge :s13:

how many layers did you don when you were at Finland?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hehehe~~ya...i know it's the coldest period of all. i think i may wanna take up the challenge :s13:

how many layers did you don when you were at Finland?

Let me see... I had a tee, a turtle-necked sweater (not wool), and a 2-layer windbreaker (as in it's a wool jacket underneath a windbreaker - they come together. Not sure what's it called =:p). With a beanie and mittens, of course. I didn't wear any thermal top, but I did put on a thermal pants under my jeans.

Remember wool socks too. Not sure what kind of shoes will you be wearing there... but don't wear sports shoes if you can help it. I bought my shoes there at their dept stores in Helsinki - a very nice pair of all-weather outdoor boots by CAT. The prices for such boots are cheaper there than here, simply because it's kind of a "necessity" there, I think? You can get similar stuff from Timberland here, but a pair easily cost about S$200+, the last I checked...

Be very careful when you walk on the paths and roads. Even though all you see may be snow, there are layers of ice underneath it. Imagine - snow lies on top of road, the temperature rises a little, the snow melts. Then when the temperature dips, the melted snow freezes into ice and fresh snow fall on them, hiding them from view. This cycle repeats and before you know it, you may slip and fall if you weren't careful. Even locals often slip when walking on the road during winter. :crazy:

sereneong19

Reaction score
Let me see... I had a tee, a turtle-necked sweater (not wool), and a 2-layer windbreaker (as in it's a wool jacket underneath a windbreaker - they come together. Not sure what's it called =:p). With a beanie and mittens, of course. I didn't wear any thermal top, but I did put on a thermal pants under my jeans.

Remember wool socks too. Not sure what kind of shoes will you be wearing there... but don't wear sports shoes if you can help it. I bought my shoes there at their dept stores in Helsinki - a very nice pair of all-weather outdoor boots by CAT. The prices for such boots are cheaper there than here, simply because it's kind of a "necessity" there, I think? You can get similar stuff from Timberland here, but a pair easily cost about S$200+, the last I checked...

Be very careful when you walk on the paths and roads. Even though all you see may be snow, there are layers of ice underneath it. Imagine - snow lies on top of road, the temperature rises a little, the snow melts. Then when the temperature dips, the melted snow freezes into ice and fresh snow fall on them, hiding them from view. This cycle repeats and before you know it, you may slip and fall if you weren't careful. Even locals often slip when walking on the road during winter. :crazy:

Thanks for the great tips!! The first step right now is to source air tickets. Not many airlines fly to Helsinki direct...

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
nah.. i m planning f&E .The tour grp I mentioned is like for photography grp. they takes u to places where the chances of seeing aurora borealis is brighter or higher..

expenses r really high!

Finn air got direct ?

ah my intention is around mid march ?? got to study the moons before confirming..

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips!! The first step right now is to source air tickets. Not many airlines fly to Helsinki direct...

There's only one airline that operates direct flight to Helsinki from Changi Airport as far as I know. Finnair. :D They code-share with Qantas though, but the flight to HEL is still operated by Finnair.

Do try their apple juice on your way back if you are flying Finnair for both ways. I love their Finnish brand of apple juice onboard. :love:

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sorry OT a bit. Anyone been to finland in May during Summer? Nice? :o

Which part of Finland? May is kinda end-spring, not quite summer yet. In Helsinki, its very cool (around 15-20deg max), but not cold, unless you are near the sea. Nice, coz the flowers are blooming / have bloomed. :D More colours in the city, not as dreary as during winter.

Nice time to grab pre-summer/end-spring sales too. :s13:

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which part of Finland? May is kinda end-spring, not quite summer yet. In Helsinki, its very cool (around 15-20deg max), but not cold, unless you are near the sea. Nice, coz the flowers are blooming / have bloomed. :D More colours in the city, not as dreary as during winter.

Nice time to grab pre-summer/end-spring sales too. :s13:

Not quite decided yet honestly. Cause still deciding between Finland or to go yo Yellowknife :o

kusuisland

Reaction score
Just bought a package to lapland with universal travel in Feb 12! As compared with the other few agencies, Universal Travel provide us with additional thermals wear and accessories. For us, it is the deal breaker because frankly speaking, - 20degrees is no laughing matter. As excited as i am to the trip, I am still worried if the weather is too harsh for us. We already have the necessary winter clothing ie long john , wool/cashmere sweaters and down jackets. Any more kind advice/tips on preparation for the weather there? Wonder if the cold weather will spoil our holidays =(

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just bought a package to lapland with universal travel in Feb 12! As compared with the other few agencies, Universal Travel provide us with additional thermals wear and accessories. For us, it is the deal breaker because frankly speaking, - 20degrees is no laughing matter. As excited as i am to the trip, I am still worried if the weather is too harsh for us. We already have the necessary winter clothing ie long john , wool/cashmere sweaters and down jackets. Any more kind advice/tips on preparation for the weather there? Wonder if the cold weather will spoil our holidays =(

Don't worry too much, as long as you are able to keep your body, head, feet and hands warm, the weather itself will be a fantastic experience. If your ears hurt from the cold wind, just pull down your beanie or pull up the hood from your jacket. Don't waste money on ear muffs - they are more or less useless. Your face will be constantly exposed to the harsh weather though. Nose will leak without you knowing. :s13:

Remember to put on body lotion at all times too. Even though you are under layers of clothes, your skin will still dry up from the weather. What I've learnt from my numerous Finland trips is that normal pharmaceutical brands that you can get from Watsons/Guardian are all useless for me. :( Now I only rely on Khiel's. They have one body lotion (yellowish in colour) that's exceptionally good for extreme dry weather. Super oily (be prepared to see oil floats up in your pail if you hand-wash your clothes when you come back to SG), but at least my skin didn't dry up. Those areas which I put lesser lotion on (I got lazy at some point - slathering body lotion every day from top to toe for 2 weeks is no fun :()... I started to see patches of dry skin on them.

Face moisturizing cream is another must - for the lady at least. Remember the rest of your body are at least covered up. Your face however, is exposed to the weather all the time. Normal moisturizing cream that works in aircon conditions here won't work there. At least all the Nivea, Neutrogena etc didn't work. I got Khiel's again, and it worked wonderfully. Same goes for your lips - this one is for everyone. Lip balm is a must... cracked lips are darn painful especially in winter. Normal lip balms are okay-ish... if you don't mind reapplying them every hour. Khiel's lip balm is good (if I'm not wrong, they only have one series.. with different flavours)... super oily (really looks like you've been eating super oily KFC and forgot to wipe your mouth), but at least it stays on slightly longer than normal lip balm coz it's harder to dry up.

All the Khiel's products that I got are kinda useless in SG... they are way too "oily" and thick to be used here, even in aircon environments. But they are really good if you are going to countries with extreme winter conditions. So... it's up to you whether you want to spend that kind of money on some products that you ain't gonna use so often.

Last but not least, this may be common sense to most, but I think I should still say it. During winter, please don't step out with wet or even damp hair. Oh, and please don't lick snow with yellow stains too. =:p

Last edited:

kusuisland

Reaction score
Don't worry too much, as long as you are able to keep your body, head, feet and hands warm, the weather itself will be a fantastic experience. If your ears hurt from the cold wind, just pull down your beanie or pull up the hood from your jacket. Don't waste money on ear muffs - they are more or less useless. Your face will be constantly exposed to the harsh weather though. Nose will leak without you knowing. :s13:

Remember to put on body lotion at all times too. Even though you are under layers of clothes, your skin will still dry up from the weather. What I've learnt from my numerous Finland trips is that normal pharmaceutical brands that you can get from Watsons/Guardian are all useless for me. :( Now I only rely on Khiel's. They have one body lotion (yellowish in colour) that's exceptionally good for extreme dry weather. Super oily (be prepared to see oil floats up in your pail if you hand-wash your clothes when you come back to SG), but at least my skin didn't dry up. Those areas which I put lesser lotion on (I got lazy at some point - slathering body lotion every day from top to toe for 2 weeks is no fun :()... I started to see patches of dry skin on them.

Face moisturizing cream is another must - for the lady at least. Remember the rest of your body are at least covered up. Your face however, is exposed to the weather all the time. Normal moisturizing cream that works in aircon conditions here won't work there. At least all the Nivea, Neutrogena etc didn't work. I got Khiel's again, and it worked wonderfully. Same goes for your lips - this one is for everyone. Lip balm is a must... cracked lips are darn painful especially in winter. Normal lip balms are okay-ish... if you don't mind reapplying them every hour. Khiel's lip balm is good (if I'm not wrong, they only have one series.. with different flavours)... super oily (really looks like you've been eating super oily KFC and forgot to wipe your mouth), but at least it stays on slightly longer than normal lip balm coz it's harder to dry up.

All the Khiel's products that I got are kinda useless in SG... they are way too "oily" and thick to be used here, even in aircon environments. But they are really good if you are going to countries with extreme winter conditions. So... it's up to you whether you want to spend that kind of money on some products that you ain't gonna use so often.

Last but not least, this may be common sense to most, but I think I should still say it. During winter, please don't step out with wet or even damp hair. Oh, and please don't lick snow with yellow stains too. =:p
ahahaha thank you!! Will pop by for the lotions closer to the date. Good pointers there! But whats with the yellow stain in the snow ah? =X

drumma

Reaction score
been in finland for 2 years.. lived in Oulu and been to other parts of finland.. if u are going finland specially for northern lights, may i suggest you to check out abisko in sweden and tromso in norway. i would think these 2 places are better than the finnish lapland. this is just my personal opinion..even in oulu, it's possible to catch northern lights as well.. but it's just not as spectacular. then again, luck plays a really big part. last winter's solar activity is exceptionally high. i've survived -30 in Oulu for 2 weeks. if u can get ski pants, those are good stuffs. really warm and u probably just need a pair of long johns underneath.

good luck! :) message me if you need more information. will be glad to share.

donald83

Master Member
Reaction score
Im going to Finland and Norway next mth for honeymoon. Will be going Helsinki, Oslo, Bergen, Tromso to watch Northern lights, back to Helsinki and then up north to stay in the glass igloo, further north to Ivalo then fly back to Helsinki

dreamer_jul

Reaction score
May I know What kinda winter clothes should I wear if I'm doing acivities at Saariselka - Ski, ride snowmobile, husky dog ride, stay at the glass igloo, visit Santa Claus's home in Dec.

I only have normal winter wear which is for 7-15 degrees. And what shoes to wear? I have a pair of ugg boots... Enough?

Ev0d3vil

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just came back from Scandinavia. Pretty nice place, highlight of the trip was Norway. Only stepped in Helsinki, bleh:( I want to go Lapland in the future. Any tour companies bring us there or is it advisable to go FnE?

sereneong19

Reaction score
My plan of going to Finland turned out to be a flop. Can't get away from work during the travel period. Haiz....
But will still continue to keep digging for more info. Die die must go!! Arghhh...

alpc

Reaction score
Frankly, anywhere above arctic circle you will see aurora, and it can be spectacular. All you need is some co-operation from the sunspots in the sun, as well as the weather - by giving you clear skies instead of cloudy skies.

I chose Finland for my aurora hunting trip because it was more inland and chances of getting clouds are far lesser than coastal areas (and the company's record was pretty good for spotting auroras - at present is at 100%).

While looking for aurora, we can be driven to areas near the Norwegian borders and also to areas near the Russia borders. So you cover a lot of grounds during the night just to look for aurora. Apparently we chose the right timing to go as the solar flare that erupted on the day just after I landed in Ivalo, had given us one of the best auroras seen for 50 years (according to the reports we had read after that. It was seen even in locations such as lower part of UK, which if I am not wrong, Brighton was mentioned in the report).

A friend of mine went to Inari for the aurora and had seen it for all the nights in March this year, and had just recently return from Tromso. He was able to see/capture it for all the nights while he was in Tromso too. He is now thinking of going somewhere again in Mar next year for aurora again. Man, he is taking the solar maximum opportunity to the max! Maybe he should go Abisko and complete the aurora (trilogy) locations. Ha Ha!

Someone ask for hotel recommendation in Ivalo - Ivalo has only 2 hotels - Hotel Ivalo and another Finnish sounding which I cannot remember on top of my head. They have some guest houses like the husky guesthouse, and also some youth center but I think that youth center is nearer to Inari than to Ivalo.

Anyone thinking of going Rovaniemi for aurora hunting, I would suggest that you chose another location. I was there for 4 nights and seen nothing as the sky were always cloudy! A friend who was at saariselka around the same time as I was had only managed to see 1 day of aurora while he was there.

By the way, be happy if the temperature is at -20 deg C. I had a few days of -31 deg C when I was there and yet we were told that they are having a mild winter - normal winter for them is -50 deg C!!! After those -31 deg C days, -20 deg C was nothing to us. Ha Ha!

Oh, for those days, I had thermal underwear (top and bottom), long turtleneck fleece t-shirt (uniglo heat tech ones), as well as my 2 layer fleece cum external jacket (with some heat retaining technology) along with the fleece pants and a ski style over-layer pants and I was still feeling cold! Chemical heater packs was a lifesaver for all of us, except for the feet ones - those somehow does not work as well as it should.

I think I came back with a bit of frost bite on my fingers as I had to wear thinner gloves - I need the flexibility to setup my camera and shoot some photos... including the auroras. I have resort to putting some hand warmers into the glove but that does not help with the finger tips!

Dang it, talking about it makes me feel like making another trip there again - but on a milder month like end Mar, early Apr! Ha Ha!

alpc

Reaction score
I just came back from Scandinavia. Pretty nice place, highlight of the trip was Norway. Only stepped in Helsinki, bleh:( I want to go Lapland in the future. Any tour companies bring us there or is it advisable to go FnE?

By now you should be seeing a lot of adverts on lapland tours from the usual tour companies. Have a look at them and decide if you want to do it with them or FnE.

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
ah wat a pity..
My plan of going to Finland turned out to be a flop. Can't get away from work during the travel period. Haiz....
But will still continue to keep digging for more info. Die die must go!! Arghhh...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.