MSc Applied Economics at NTU

natnat86

Reaction score
I am thinking of applying to this course as well, anyone currently enrolled in this course? :s12: thanks!

TauNowBoHoSay

Banned
Reaction score
yes I am applying too... want to share profiles?

i got the offer from NTU. But dunno should i proceed or not....

There are too many graduates in the market now. Graduating with a masters doesnt necessarily promise you a job as an analyst etc.

The first set of modules will be:

1) Applied Econometrics
2) Advanced Microeconomics Theory

But one thing is for certain - can give tuition at the undergrad level in the future with $80 min for tuition fees (1-on-1)!!!

abcde83

Reaction score
i got the offer from NTU. But dunno should i proceed or not....

There are too many graduates in the market now. Graduating with a masters doesnt necessarily promise you a job as an analyst etc.

The first set of modules will be:

1) Applied Econometrics
2) Advanced Microeconomics Theory

But one thing is for certain - can give tuition at the undergrad level in the future with $80 min for tuition fees (1-on-1)!!!

what's your currrent job? is it relevant? will it help you in furtherin ur career?

if answers are all negative, i wonder if there's any value in you proceeding....

what's your profile by the way?

TauNowBoHoSay

Banned
Reaction score
what's your currrent job? is it relevant? will it help you in furtherin ur career?

if answers are all negative, i wonder if there's any value in you proceeding....

what's your profile by the way?

I am currently not working. Not sure if the master course is any help to me in the light of the many graduates already in the market.

abcde83

Reaction score
I am currently not working. Not sure if the master course is any help to me in the light of the many graduates already in the market.

depends on what kind of job you are looking for and how senior you were in your previous job.

Financial Institutes economic research, yes. I think very relevant and useful. In fact one of the must have.

so i guess you are going for the Msc FT...

good luck~

TauNowBoHoSay

Banned
Reaction score
depends on what kind of job you are looking for and how senior you were in your previous job.

Financial Institutes economic research, yes. I think very relevant and useful. In fact one of the must have.

so i guess you are going for the Msc FT...

good luck~

I a very keen on being an economic research. But after applying for many times, I was not called for any interviews.

I believe that there are many more people more competent than I am in terms of relevant experience and qualification. Even if i have the Master, it cant gaurantee me a job as a researcher or an analyst.

Hence I have decided to forgo it. I am finding a temp job now.

abcde83

Reaction score
I a very keen on being an economic research. But after applying for many times, I was not called for any interviews.

I believe that there are many more people more competent than I am in terms of relevant experience and qualification. Even if i have the Master, it cant gaurantee me a job as a researcher or an analyst.

Hence I have decided to forgo it. I am finding a temp job now.

i am a bank trader and finance-trained.

the economists that i spoke to, from IBs are mostly from ivy league or top universities in UK...but i do see some local bank or 2nd tier banks hire local grads for research analyst roles.

you can also try asset management research analyst role...

what's your 1st degree in? and where from?

abcde83

Reaction score
Becoz i applied early mah. I need to accept the offer by 30 Sep. The preparatory course will be from 15 to 19 Oct.

how long it takes to reply you an offer?

usually, the faster it is, the fewer number of applicants there are...=:p

Puppy_pup1990

Reaction score
Anyone going for the course?

:s12::s12::s12::s12:[/QUOT

I accepted the offer after much consideration as I feel that a degree is now very common and hence taking a masters increase your chance of finding a job . Hence taking this masters would open up more doors as public sector will likely consider someone with local uni as compared foreign uni . Thus , I accepted the offer .

fascist

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you all got consider NUS applied econs? what is the difference?

Puppy_pup1990

Reaction score
I am not sure of the prestige wise but I feel it's the same as both ntu and nus are both local uni and would be equally recognized in Singapore .

TauNowBoHoSay

Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure of the prestige wise but I feel it's the same as both ntu and nus are both local uni and would be equally recognized in Singapore .

Yeah, prestige wise, I am not too sure. But NTU still ranks below Ivy League uni.

It will cost me $21,000++, hence i am not too sure whether i should proceed.

Sigh... hard decision.:s11::s11:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.