Killer Courses in NUS

itsmezh93

Reaction score
Which are the killer courses in NUS that will wack off the majority and pose such a challenge that the aim of even a 2nd Upper degree (Undergrad) will be thrown out of the window. And if anyone can suggest - courses that are easy enough to get a second upper/first without disproportionate amount of effort.

kingtrade

Banned
Reaction score
Which are the killer courses in NUS that will wack off the majority and pose such a challenge that the aim of even a 2nd Upper degree (Undergrad) will be thrown out of the window. And if anyone can suggest - courses that are easy enough to get a second upper/first without disproportionate amount of effort.

Ever heard of these two words: Bell Curve?

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score

u never say which major you taking.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wat is disporportional amount of effort? U wan to get good grades u better be prepared to give ur 100% regardless of wat course u r in.

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
Wat is disporportional amount of effort? U wan to get good grades u better be prepared to give ur 100% regardless of wat course u r in.

most of the time, even giving 100% doesnt translate to significant grades because in all fields lie crouching tigers and hidden dragons (some of which dont use hadouken while some chut shinkuu hadouken)

:(

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont think there are killer courses.. what kills you doesnt kill someone else
e.g. I sucks at physics and I think physics is a killer, but some people can handle or worst, they think physics is easier than chemistry when for me its the other way around

but there maybe killer professors that you may want to avoid based on feedbacks from seniors / friends

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

you clearly are not ready for higher education

orionmiz

Master Member
Reaction score

Well, I must say it's:

EITHER
courses that are easy enough to get a second upper/first

OR
courses without disproportionate amount of effort

I haven't come across any that meet both conditions yet...

itsmezh93

Reaction score
most of the time, even giving 100% doesnt translate to significant grades because in all fields lie crouching tigers and hidden dragons (some of which dont use hadouken while some chut shinkuu hadouken)

:(

I haven't been enrolled in yet, but I do have my A-level results. I'm looking for a course that can translate effort+work into results.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont think there are killer courses.. what kills you doesnt kill someone else
e.g. I sucks at physics and I think physics is a killer, but some people can handle or worst, they think physics is easier than chemistry when for me its the other way around

but there maybe killer professors that you may want to avoid based on feedbacks from seniors / friends

I'm opposite of u lol. I hate chemistry and nvr understood it, but my physics was good, my jc cher even asked me to relieve his lesson for my class once lol.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
Go for what you are interested in.

Then it won't be a killer anymore. You might start to fall in love with it.

swordsly

Master Member
Reaction score
I haven't been enrolled in yet, but I do have my A-level results. I'm looking for a course that can translate effort+work into results.

effort+work can translate into results. the point is whether the results are acceptable or not in your perspective.

you are either truly a lost soul, a troll, or both.
good luck finding one. :s13:

tehhalia

Master Member
Reaction score
From the way the itsmezh93 wrote his post, i know for sure that our education is skewed or rather failed. To corrode the true purpose of education into pure money-making or chasing grades, is really the saddest thing that can happen to us.

pruss huan.
i'm not sure about other countries, but very evident in singapore. or least to say - nus
everyone's revolving around grades, even before the course has started ;)

am i here to learn, or am i here to get an A?
the culture seems to say that, you don't learn unless you get an A :s13:

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway, law easiest to get 2nd upper but can you qualify for it?

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
anyway, law easiest to get 2nd upper but can you qualify for it?

eh, you think so easy to get you come here and get one first la... really ish no action talk only sia.

frankly speaking law 2nd upper not easy to get. I have friends who are smart but find it difficult to make the top 55% due to the workload (public law readings 20 times that of JS110E -- I counted) and the competition. getting 2:1 in arts (imho) is a lot easier, and I actually have the right to say that (unlike geforce) coz im doing a double degree in both

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh, you think so easy to get you come here and get one first la... really ish no action talk only sia.

frankly speaking law 2nd upper not easy to get. I have friends who are smart but find it difficult to make the top 55% due to the workload (public law readings 20 times that of JS110E -- I counted) and the competition. getting 2:1 in arts (imho) is a lot easier, and I actually have the right to say that (unlike geforce) coz im doing a double degree in both
based on statistics law got more 2nd upper than the rest of the faculty and since it's not based on CAP score, it's easier to get 2nd upper in law. The issue is qualifying for it

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
based on statistics law got more 2nd upper than the rest of the faculty and since it's not based on CAP score, it's easier to get 2nd upper in law. The issue is qualifying for it

The problem is that you base an objective interpretation of 'easier' on % of cohort who qualify for a certain class of honours.

That's meaningless. Graduating with a degree in physics at MIT is easier than getting a first class at NUS phy coz the whole physics cohort at MIT gets it but only a select few in the same course at NUS graduate with first class?

I posted coz i thought yr comment was unfair to my 2nd lower friends in law. Most of them work a lot harder than the average 2:1 in arts. I know a comparison of 'easy' is incomensurable for most courses but frankly the amount of work u need to put in for a 2:1 in law is not a joke.

I spent my first year in arts. In my first sem at law i was so depressed by the increase in workload that i almost left the programme. I did 10-20 times more reading for some of my law mods as compared to my level 1K law mods. Dont come and talk to me about 'easy' until youve been thru the **** that law puts us thru. Dont come and talk until u get yr llb 2:1

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.