Raspberry Pi the new simple SMALL PC

zabuton

Reaction score
After update to 3.2.0 everything just works. Both categories view and Search, which initially gave scripts errors, works correctly now. Btw, after boot up, I went to the manual add-on list to update you tube add-on. Afterwards, when I went to video->add-on->you tube, I saw the "auto-update" remark on the screen. Effectively if update took place, my openelec you tube addon updated twice.

zabuton

Reaction score
By the way, comparing youtube air play from iPad2 in openelec, the quality from AirPlay is much better than the YouTube add on. Yep, openelec supports AirPlay! Did not know that till trying to figure out rmvb format playback, which fails, only audio output.

KardBoard

Reaction score
the add on works now after reboot.impressed with the quality played.for those who yet to buy,element14 stock sold out.maybe arnd oct stock replenish. :s31:within 2 week all 600++ ras pi sold.

233mmx

Reaction score
openelec, raspbmc & xbian are different ports of xbmc, typical linux fragmentation

zabuton

Reaction score
the add on works now after reboot.impressed with the quality played.for those who yet to buy,element14 stock sold out.maybe arnd oct stock replenish. :s31:within 2 week all 600++ ras pi sold.

@KardBoard, Good to know.

When I receive email notification for Pi availability, it was 2300+ or 2400+ remaining. Took a day to decide, it was at 2200+. I am wondering who bought all these pi? Locals or overseas, as element14 shows stock available in SG or UK only.

zabuton

Reaction score
openelec, raspbmc & xbian are different ports of xbmc, typical linux fragmentation

Part and parcel of having choices. The good thing about the Pi is that you can have all, each on it's own SD card. Don't have to have constant re-install, multiboot, running VMs, etc.

Saw some discussion from Raspbmc and Xbian about code stealing. A more serious concern.

zerostylezero

Reaction score
cluster PC?

Anyone in SG has used Raspberry Pi for cluster/grid computing? I saw the Lego one where the guy used Lego as a case and clustered 64 boards together. Haven't really read through on how he did it but in all fairness, I'm intrigued. I know the Raspberry Pi ain't really a good choice for parallel computing but I might be tempted to buy 2 and make a grid out of both as long as there's a proven workable one.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone in SG has used Raspberry Pi for cluster/grid computing? I saw the Lego one where the guy used Lego as a case and clustered 64 boards together. Haven't really read through on how he did it but in all fairness, I'm intrigued. I know the Raspberry Pi ain't really a good choice for parallel computing but I might be tempted to buy 2 and make a grid out of both as long as there's a proven workable one.

There is no surprise at all if you ask me. As long as 2 or more devices can interact in any way, in this case, the most obvious is network, you can build a cluster. What you need is any clustering framework to make development easier. Since it is on LInux, you can easily use MPI as one of the suitable framework.

In my opinion, it doesn't prove much except it can be done. You can easily perform proof of concept for parallel and clustering architecture using a couple of virtual machines. In term of development experience and concept, they are identical. No surprises at all.

Raspberry network isn't exactly high throughput, even if you don't hit into processing power bottleneck, you will hit into network bottleneck pretty soon.

TrueB1ue

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought one set with plastic case and SD card with OS........don know how to use it.

Anyone interested? Want to let go mine..........

Soul77

Reaction score
I just bought this UG802. Waiting for delivery.

[Factory direct supply] Mini PC UG802 Dual Core RK3066 1.6GHz Cortex A9 Dual Stick MK802 III Android 4.0 IPTV HDD Player TV Box-in Set-top Boxes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Such dual core chip for US$59 including shipping, it's really cheap. It's new (only released about 1 months ago). I hope the firmware development is going to be active.

I'm really excited with these ARM cpus. For decades, the PC industry has been dominated by Intel with their expensive CPUs. Then Google with android comes, and they choose the cheaper and more freely licensable ARM cpu. I think this is the future of computing.
I won't be surprised if in 100 years, the real android cyborg is operated using Android OS (maybe the codename will be Z at that time. Zucchini Muffins anyone :D), and using 10000 Cores ARM cpu :D

HOHOHO!

Reaction score
Anyone has difficult getting refund from RS component? Asked from paypal and got a closed dispute instead....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.