Microsoft Surface

outrun100

Reaction score
4GB RAM for pro version should be enough but i dun think its upgradable. Too bad no release date for Singapore.

fantasy87

Reaction score
thanks! if using w e keyboard, i think shld be ok.

Pro gt 4gb RAM.

bt if Pro gonna be priced so high, then i guess might be better to get ultrabook instead. =(

4GB RAM for pro version should be enough but i dun think its upgradable. Too bad no release date for Singapore.

of course 4gb is enough... but some win 8 tablet nw comes with 2gb onli... so that is a concern...
actually pro itself is basically an ultra book... u just pay for the newer stuff and toys...
just that i have no idea why the pro version can only come 3 months later

ashhong

Reaction score
Actually, when MS decides to produce their own tablet, several OEMs have complained (Acer, HP, Dell, etc). These few OEMs are big players where x86/x64 OS are concerned.

The pricing is the one critical deciding factor whether they would abandon MS.

Therefore, the pricing of RT will be a gauge of the Pro's pricing and the OEMs' next step. If RT pricing is very attractive, Pro's pricing is unlikely to be unattractive, and they may consider moving to other OSes.

At this stage, Microsoft cannot afford to lose partnerships. Windows 8 has lots of detractors.

As you state, Linux generally won't generate sales. Them moving to Linux is probably not financially wise. But staying with MS is also not wise either, as Microsoft is now competing with them.

if i remember correctly, Acer was indeed not happy with MS coming up with Surface. but before Windows 8, nobody except samsung had an usable tablet. i tried installing Windows 8 on one of the acer iconia, it doesn't work as great. Samsung slate 7 on the other hand was the only tablet at that time which could really function.

In my opinion, MS coming up with Surface is a wake up call for all the OEMs, to let them know how poor their products has been.

for x64, OEMs can't abandon MS. i doubt there is another consumer grade OS that run on x64? Apple will never license out their OS X.

therefore if they have to abandon Microsoft, they will have to close their the PC unit of their business.

lastly in general, i do not like most of the OEMs. i can't even use a brand new PC without having to format them to get rid of all the crap that comes pre-install. that is a serious waste of time. a machine directly from Microsoft will ensure that it is clean.

been looking at the specs page, but still dun quite understand, so a few noob questions...

1. Surface Pro besides being able to run MSOffice, can it run 3rd-party software?
--- They said "can run all of the applications that you’ve used on previous version of Windows", bt i dunnoe if their applications refer to software programmes?
--- I am referring to software like programming software R, SPSS etc.

2. Their 64/128gb is ssd? or flash memory?

actually i want sth like ultrabook X tablet, so dunnoe if Surface Pro is one or not =/

Surface Pro can run whatever you can run on Windows 7 which is why it is call Pro

User friendliness these days = familiarity with that interface. Win 7 is as user friendly as OSX. Many detractors are complaining not because Metro is not user friendly, rather they're not familiar with it.

I've been using Win8 on a TabletPC on regular keyboard & Trackpad for 4 months. Now that I've installed back my Win7 SSD to get ready for Win8 launch, I find the Start Menu so lame. :s13:

The Surface will be not upgradeable because everything is soldered on. At least, that's what I can tell from their animation.

Expect Surface Pro 64GB to be USD1000-1200 with Touch Cover. Add USD200 for 128GB version + USD35 for Video-out since most TV don't have DisplayPort.

i don't think i can go back to windows 7 after using windows 8 for months.

i hasn't seen any tablet that is much upgradeable

i could see the Pro replacing some of the ultrabook in the market since the spec is quite on par.

and Surface comes with a magnetic power adapter aka MagSafe which really make it a plus.

MagSafe is really important. i am always tripping on laptop without MagSafe.

Last edited:

XasakuraX

Master Member
Reaction score
oh didnt know Pro can be basically considered as an ultrabk. had my eyes on it since it was announced. haha.

hopefully by the time it comes out, it would still hav some competitive edges over other ultrabooks.

dongdong88

Reaction score
if i remember correctly, Acer was indeed not happy with MS coming up with Surface. but before Windows 8, nobody except samsung had an usable tablet. i tried installing Windows 8 on one of the acer iconia, it doesn't work as great. Samsung slate 7 on the other hand was the only tablet at that time which could really function.

In my opinion, MS coming up with Surface is a wake up call for all the OEMs, to let them know how poor their products has been.

for x64, OEMs can't abandon MS. i doubt there is another consumer grade OS that run on x64? Apple will never license out their OS X.

therefore if they have to abandon Microsoft, they will have to close their the PC unit of their business.

lastly in general, i do not like most of the OEMs. i can't even use a brand new PC without having to format them to get rid of all the crap that comes pre-install. that is a serious waste of time. a machine directly from Microsoft will ensure that it is clean.

Acer made the loudest noise and threatened to end partnerships with Microsoft in public. That's why most people remember Acer being very unhappy with Microsoft when Microsoft came up with the idea of selling a product themselves.

HP, Dell and some others made noise, but not as prominent as Acer itself.

I agree with you that if Microsoft didn't step in, these OEMs don't know how poor they are faring.

I don't believe they need to close down their PC business unit if they abandon Microsoft, but they got to size it down significantly.

I hope that with Microsoft stepping in to set minimum benchmarks, things will improve.

ashhong

Reaction score
Acer made the loudest noise and threatened to end partnerships with Microsoft in public. That's why most people remember Acer being very unhappy with Microsoft when Microsoft came up with the idea of selling a product themselves.

HP, Dell and some others made noise, but not as prominent as Acer itself.

I agree with you that if Microsoft didn't step in, these OEMs don't know how poor they are faring.

I don't believe they need to close down their PC business unit if they abandon Microsoft, but they got to size it down significantly.

I hope that with Microsoft stepping in to set minimum benchmarks, things will improve.

i certainly hope so. if a macbook running windows 8 provides better experience than Windows OEMs, something is wrong with the OEMs(assuming i do not requires touchscreen). i am looking at the trackpad at this exact moment when i am writing this.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Acer W710 is actually quite decent although the plastic stand is so... duh! At least it comes with batteries now.

Let's see if MS pull off a miracle in battery life because a Core i5 in such a small package will probably not more than 5 hours in actual usage, if I base my assumption on normal highend OEM spec tabletPC. Even considering, the new Ivy Bridge sip battery slowly.

That's the battery life I expect from a hi-spec Ultrabook running i5 with a 10" screen.

However, MS has mentioned they "made" that screen based on their spec so it could happen. The screen is the component that takes up the most power, next to the CPU.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
i certainly hope so. if a macbook running windows 8 provides better experience than Windows OEMs, something is wrong with the OEMs(assuming i do not requires touchscreen). i am looking at the trackpad at this exact moment when i am writing this.
If your trackpad is Synaptics, do yourself a favour & use their generic drivers instead of the OEM ones.

Twisticles

Reaction score
You do realised Surface ain't running Win8 right? Sure U wanna sell the W500 so soon?

Yah of course, but that's why I am happy to buy the RT. After six months with Win8 previews on the W500 I realise I am going to be quite happy with the Marketplace Apps on my Surface I never installed any x86/64 programs. No need for full blown Win8 (for me on a tablet).

For everything else I got Razer Blade :D:D:D

Besides, the W500 is running consumer preview and hacked a 128Gb SDD on there, so not sure anyone would *want* to buy it anyways ;)

dongdong88

Reaction score
Wont be launching in Sg right? Still have to buy from USA?

If you are referring to the 26 October 2012 launch date, yes, it won't be launching in Singapore on this date.

It's not known when it will launch in Singapore. It's not even known if it will ever launch in Singapore.

If you really want, either buy online (go to MS Store using US IP, it's not accessible if your IP is SG) or check if someone is visiting any of these countries:

US, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, China, United Kingdom, France, Germany

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.