Sony Portable Amp PHA-1

Randius

Reaction score
Now Sony also wants a share in the portable amp market!

Actual article is found here
Sony Portable Amp PHA-1

According to the article, the Sony PHA-1 has the following spec:

Aluminium chassis with aluminium alloy diecast bumper to protect the plugs
Wolfson WM8740 DAC chip
Texas Instruments LME49860
24bit/96kHz support (but only up to 16bit/48kHz when connected with iDevices)
Includes cable for connecting to iDevice/Sony Walkman
5-10 hrs of battery life depending on usage (5hrs via digital-in/10hrs via analog-in)
175mW×2ch(8Ω)、26mW×2ch(300Ω)
67×130×26mm
220g

The amp should be available on 10th of October

Last edited:

kazzzam

Banned
Reaction score
about the same price of the fostex hp-1

is a apple transport , with usb dac cum headphone amp

Randius

Reaction score
I think the chassis is well-designed. It has two anti-slip silicon stripes on top and bottom, rails at side for use with hard rubber belts to secure an iPhone on it (not sure about other DAPs) and diecast bumpers to prevent accidental turning of volume knob. Hopefully the street price is less prohibitive.

So, yah, I may be hooting :D

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the chassis is well-designed. It has two anti-slip silicon stripes on top and bottom, rails at side for use with hard rubber belts to secure an iPhone on it (not sure about other DAPs) and diecast bumpers to prevent accidental turning of volume knob. Hopefully the street price is less prohibitive.

So, yah, I may be hooting :D

Randius bro hoot liaos pls give review hor, thankyou! :D

And wah, Sony nowadays is really different liao ever since Kaz Hirai took over, they also wanna try and dominate other portable Hi-fi market share and try their hands on portable amps market liao. Interesting to see how it fairs against Fostex's HP-P1 sia, bcos if this is good I might be considering to get one as well, though I don't usually go for thick/transportable setups but since this amp comes with a reknowned Wolfson DAC model, should be a good pairing with some of my UMPCs.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interesting design to guard the knobs i guess. price pretty steep for a 1st-try amp. let's see...

Randius

Reaction score
Randius bro hoot liaos pls give review hor, thankyou! :D

And wah, Sony nowadays is really different liao ever since Kaz Hirai took over, they also wanna try and dominate other portable Hi-fi market share and try their hands on portable amps market liao. Interesting to see how it fairs against Fostex's HP-P1 sia, bcos if this is good I might be considering to get one as well, though I don't usually go for thick/transportable setups but since this amp comes with a reknowned Wolfson DAC model, should be a good pairing with some of my UMPCs.

Think I may need to sell off some stuffs to afford this :(

I saw an early impression on the amp at bottom of the link I provided but my jap not powderful enough to fully understand, perhaps Haonan bro can take a look? ;)

Also, here is an interview with the designer (paiseh, also in Jap)
Interview with the PHA-1 designer

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think I may need to sell off some stuffs to afford this :(

I saw an early impression on the amp at bottom of the link I provided but my jap not powderful enough to fully understand, perhaps Haonan bro can take a look? ;)

Also, here is an interview with the designer (paiseh, also in Jap)
Interview with the PHA-1 designer

Thanks for the share Randius bro, didn't go dig thru Sony's website after reading the article on AV Watch, quite surprised to see there's an in-depth developer's interview with the involved Sony engineers who came up with the development of the PHA-1 amp.

Actually, you over-flattered me alrdy, my jippun is not that pro actually so I'm not exactly right for the translation jobs, but still thanks for sharing the interview page with us, much appreciated bro!

I have already checked various online sources like Fujiya-avic/E-earphones the other day, sounds like this amp is for preorder for ard 35,800yen, not too shabby IMO considering its excellent build.

Cheers!

NeonX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looks like a good quality product by Sony. Wonder how it compares to CLAS and fostex hp1.

Was actually considering CLAS but now... hehe

Cryok95

Reaction score
I know someone who has that PHA-1 in SG, will be meeting him to try sometime next week.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.