Sony Portable Amp PHA-1

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
P3rhF.jpg

pXsBh.jpg

5LFEl.jpg

DJWVt.jpg

AV Impress Watch article: *yƒŒƒrƒ…*[*zƒ\ƒj*[‚Ì*g–{‹Cƒ|ƒ^ƒAƒ“*h*uPHA-1*v‚ð’®‚­ -AV Watch

AV Impress Watch just reviewed this DAC/amp a few days ago, it's SQ compares very favourably to the iBasso HDP-R10/DX100 in terms of dynamic range and resolution details according to the above japanese review. However after reading the article it actually also gave me a deeper insight into it's form-factor/ergonomics portion, mainly serving more as a suitable pairing with iDevices only as a portable DAC transport but my main player is the Walkman Z (the PHA-1 maximum width dimensions is measured at 67mm, but the Walkman Z is ard 70.5mm so it's a mismatch if you stack them tgt), and according to AV Watch its battery life is not that great either, when using just as an amp via analog output it only achieves ~10 hrs which puts it on the same level as my current Audinst AMP-HP which sucks in terms of batt life to me. When using it as a digital transport via iPod/iPhones LOD the battery life is mentioned to be ard 5 hours only. :s22:

So yup, after re-evaluting it I don't think this is the right device for me as with Sony Walkmans I can only use it as an analog pre-amp, for dedicated DACs for notebooks I alrdy got Fostex HP-A3 so don't really see the point. The design is really nice to me though, I really dig that railguard and attachment slip-ons design. :o

postfix79

Reaction score
P3rhF.jpg

pXsBh.jpg

5LFEl.jpg

DJWVt.jpg

AV Impress Watch article: *yƒŒƒrƒ…*[*zƒ\ƒj*[‚Ì*g–{‹Cƒ|ƒ^ƒAƒ“*h*uPHA-1*v‚ð’®‚* -AV Watch

AV Impress Watch just reviewed this DAC/amp a few days ago, it's SQ compares very favourably to the iBasso HDP-R10/DX100 in terms of dynamic range and resolution details according to the above japanese review. However after reading the article it actually also gave me a deeper insight into it's form-factor/ergonomics portion, mainly serving more as a suitable pairing with iDevices only as a portable DAC transport but my main player is the Walkman Z (the PHA-1 maximum width dimensions is measured at 67mm, but the Walkman Z is ard 70.5mm so it's a mismatch if you stack them tgt), and according to AV Watch its battery life is not that great either, when using just as an amp via analog output it only achieves ~10 hrs which puts it on the same level as my current Audinst AMP-HP which sucks in terms of batt life to me. When using it as a digital transport via iPod/iPhones LOD the battery life is mentioned to be ard 5 hours only. :s22:

So yup, after re-evaluting it I don't think this is the right device for me as with Sony Walkmans I can only use it as an analog pre-amp, for dedicated DACs for notebooks I alrdy got Fostex HP-A3 so don't really see the point. The design is really nice to me though, I really dig that railguard and attachment slip-ons design. :o
It looks very very solid.

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure. It was bought directly from Japan. Should be around 700-900SGD.

i see now is ard 610sgd base on amazon.jp price.
jin sexpensive. and from other review they say the usb input not tt sturdy.

CeSaRiO

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking if I should buy one tomorrow. :s12:

Its raving in Japan crazily now lol..

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Frankly speaking i dont know. But when i touch it at Yodobashi Camera @ Akihabara, it was really very... orgasmic.. :s34:

Pending.. :s22:

but i heard the usb port on it not tt sturdy as they don have a support.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.