Maybank Family and Friends grocery casback

limitation

Master Member
Reaction score
I've just subscribed to the H*riz*n card as they offer 5x rewards for overseas spending. But to my dismay, a S$1000+ transaction in Germany (was charged in EUR) was not given 5x cause the merchant bank charged me in S$. I've feedback to the customer service over their hotline but she just dismissed as "if its not in foreign currency, then it's not subject to 5x rewards. You can try filling a dispute form but we don't guarantee that you get approve". It is impossible to determine which currency will be charged to cardholders when overseas and it is also beyond a cardholder's control. It's not as easy as other credit cards where they tell you what you can get and give you as promised. So beware this tricky tactic when you sign up with them.

But when u pay, it is charged in euro$, rite? Then after converting back to s$ amt, u shld be rewarded te 5x points, rite? Coz the bill amt is in foreign currency already..

battledome64

Master Member
Reaction score
But when u pay, it is charged in euro$, rite? Then after converting back to s$ amt, u shld be rewarded te 5x points, rite? Coz the bill amt is in foreign currency already..

The merchant can decide to bill us sing dollar on the spot so be careful

Thanatos_Wraiths

Reaction score
I've just subscribed to the H*riz*n card as they offer 5x rewards for overseas spending. But to my dismay, a S$1000+ transaction in Germany (was charged in EUR) was not given 5x cause the merchant bank charged me in S$. ....... So beware this tricky tactic when you sign up with them.
Do you still have the charge slip?

o0KelviN0o

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does this card give 5% rebate for bill payment to Starhub, Prudential, M1, etc?

martxx

Reaction score
Actually this is not Maybanks fault. It could happen for any card.
You are the one that sign on the charge slip. Thats why you need to scrutinize the charge slip. Make sure you are charged in the foreign currency.

I've just subscribed to the H*riz*n card as they offer 5x rewards for overseas spending. But to my dismay, a S$1000+ transaction in Germany (was charged in EUR) was not given 5x cause the merchant bank charged me in S$. I've feedback to the customer service over their hotline but she just dismissed as "if its not in foreign currency, then it's not subject to 5x rewards. You can try filling a dispute form but we don't guarantee that you get approve". It is impossible to determine which currency will be charged to cardholders when overseas and it is also beyond a cardholder's control. It's not as easy as other credit cards where they tell you what you can get and give you as promised. So beware this tricky tactic when you sign up with them.

Thanatos_Wraiths

Reaction score
so how do we know merchant bank charged what currency to maybank? we only has charge slip to refer and according to charge slip it is euro $ then how come no 5x?
I think if Brownie999 still has the charge slip indicating the charge was in the local currency (in this case Euro $)in a foreign land , then i think he/she can dispute the charge, i.e. the currency used.

battledome64

Master Member
Reaction score
so how do we know merchant bank charged what currency to maybank? we only has charge slip to refer and according to charge slip it is euro $ then how come no 5x?

Sorry I stand corrected. The charge slip will reflect the currency so must take initiative to inform that we would like to be billed in foreign currency

Z_Dash

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a quick query.....how does the 5% rebate for delivery works?
Such as Canadian Pizza?

iinspired

Reaction score
i agree that this is not the bank fault. When i pay using card overseas, i have encountered both merchants who asked if i would like to pay in their currency or SGD and those who did not ask and just choose SGD for me...

From experience.... choosing foreign currency always gives you a better exchange rate compared to choosing the conversion rate offered by the merchants. Your charge slip will indicate the currency you paid in.

Actually this is not Maybanks fault. It could happen for any card.
You are the one that sign on the charge slip. Thats why you need to scrutinize the charge slip. Make sure you are charged in the foreign currency.

dao

Reaction score
Going through my statement. Just to share (maybe already obvious to some):
1. For Singapore Zoo, 5% rebate only applicable to admission tickets. Not for all others.
2. Mcdonald, 5% rebate only applicable for delivery. Not for dine in.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.