Official Mechwarrior Online Thread

Mycrus

Reaction score
MechWarrior-Online-390x248-logo.jpg

MechWarrior Online (also known as MWO) is an upcoming free to play massively multiplayer online, action simulation game under development by Piranha Games for the Microsoft Windows platform.

Many will be familiar with the Mechwarrior series as this has been a mainstay of computer gaming.

However, for the uninitiated, MWO is set in FASA's fictional Battletech universe - simply put this latest iteration of the series allows you to pilot big robots (mechs), plan loadouts (such as lasers, missiles, big guns) and shoot at other big robots.

Gameplay in MWO is team & role based - lances (squads) that have only the heaviest robots (assault mechs) will be easily and soundly defeated by a team of smaller and more agile mechs.

This allows for multiple play styles and player pace to exist within a single game & team. Older gamers like me don't want the fast paced gameplay required for a scout mech - but would fit in with the slower brawlers or support mechs (missile/sniper).

XP allows unlocking of mech upgrades but the improvement is just marginal so you do not really 'level-up' in the game. Emphasis is for the player to learn skills required 'in real life and real time'. This virtually removes the 'grind' associated with usual MMO gameplays - which is a big draw for me.

MWO is now in closed beta but you can join it right now if you purchase founders pack. Trust me that this is game is good. Since i've gotten access, my 'steam' account as been lonely as i have been playing this game non-stop.

System Requirements - officially the specs are not out yet.

We know that the game uses cry engine 3, so it would be a safe assumption to use the Crysis 2 system specs as a proxy.

* Minimum: 2GHz Core 2 Duo / A64 X2 CPU, 2GB RAM, 8800GT / HD3850, 512MB Video Memory, DX9.0c, Shader Model 3.0, Windows XP, 20fps @ 1024 x 768

* Recommended: 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo / A64 X2 CPU, 3GB RAM, GTX280 / HD4870, 1GB Video Memory, DX9.0, Shader Model 3.0/4.0, Windows XP, 30fps @ 1650 x 1080

* Highly Recommended: 3GHz Core i7 4GB RAM, GTX560Ti / HD4870 X2, 1.8GB Video Memory, DX11, Shader Model 3.0/4.0, Windows 7, 30fps @ 1920 x 1200

There are many die-hard fans that are setting up mech cockpits in anticipation for the game. This is one of the better ones that i've seen albeit single screen.

Finally, when you have gotten the hang of piloting a 4-storey sized robot packed with high tech weaponry -- it is battlefield tactics and good teamwork that determine whether a lance comes out on top or not.

Last edited:

Mycrus

Reaction score
just to give you an idea of how cool it looks when running in surround

557170_4221463147818_1400376418_n.jpg

i also hooted a G940 to play the game, but of course mouse and keyboard will do quite nicely... in fact it is harder to play with full hotas

Last edited:

robolee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
**** man, tat so cool!

just to give you an idea of how cool it looks when running in surround

557170_4221463147818_1400376418_n.jpg

i also hooted a G940 to play the game, but of course mouse and keyboard will do quite nicely... in fact it is harder to play with full hotas

66540_4310394491046_794229729_n.jpg

If you are already playing and you are looking for team to join, check us out...

Bonn

Master Member
Reaction score
The game is good. But the ping time from Singapore is quite bad. Anyway to improve it since we can't choose the server to play on.

Best is now no hackers yet. So the game is still quite enjoyable.

eminus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try Hawken also..but it is still in close beta mode... :) closed beta weekend that is hehehe

Mycrus

Reaction score
The game is good. But the ping time from Singapore is quite bad. Anyway to improve it since we can't choose the server to play on.

Best is now no hackers yet. So the game is still quite enjoyable.
developer is supposed to launch an asia side server soon...

current pings from Singapore is 260ms -- i still get very playable fps of 50-80 on single 1080p full settings...

if i do surround at full settings imma at 30fps / at custom settings (some non-essential like post processing off) i get 40+fps...

with my team (mostly aussies, malaysians, indonesians, filipinos, & some local singaporeans) we win games roughly 9 out of 10 times - even when facing US teams with 60ms pings... team tactics is a lot more important than pings... can you imagine what we could with 60ms pings?! :)

anyway just stay tuned for open beta so you can see for yourself -- should be coming out mid November... by then can F2P to see if you like or not...

Last edited:

inxlee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this game sure brings back a lot of memories. also eyefinity setup probably makes the most sense for this game. Somehow.. the borders around the monitors dont look bad because it appears like your in the cockpit of the mechwarrior ahaha.

Mycrus

Reaction score
Open beta has been announced for October 29

www.mwomercs.com

in a few days everybody can pilot big stompy robots and pew pew lasers!!

this game sure brings back a lot of memories. also eyefinity setup probably makes the most sense for this game. Somehow.. the borders around the monitors dont look bad because it appears like your in the cockpit of the mechwarrior ahaha.

yup, played MW2, MW3, MW4, BT1, Mech Commander 1 & 2... literally grew up with the franchise and it sure brings back a lot of good memories...

mycrus, are u joining the BBQ in dec?:D

Hi! I have family coming over from overseas for the holidays... will be busy with them... thanks for asking!

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is this the Mechwarrior previously from Activision?

I remembered playing the Activision's Mechwarrrior during the DOS era, no longer (able) play such fast pace game... sigh...

Mycrus

Reaction score
Is this the Mechwarrior previously from Activision?

I remembered playing the Activision's Mechwarrrior during the DOS era, no longer (able) play such fast pace game... sigh...

yes this is the 5th installment of the beloved series dating back from the DOS days...

i would suggest to give it a try during open beta -- multiple play styles can exists in one team... i can't do fast play either so i stick with fire-support mechs or slow assault mechs...

the younger 'shooter' crowd would go for the fast light/medium mechs... and each has an important role within the team...

if it was just fast play then i wouldn't be able to do it as well..

----

Last edited:

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I played MW4 (offline, not online) years ago.

Got a few questions:
1. I played MW4 with keyboard and mouse like a FPS. Is it a problem in MWO?
2. MW4 online degenerated to a mess of pop-tarting. Does that still happen in MWO?

Mycrus

Reaction score

Got a few questions:
2. MW4 online degenerated to a mess of pop-tarting. Does that still happen in MWO?
kb+mouse = you get very good accuracy...

with joystick hotas = you can 'stay on target' easily...

still trying to learn joystick... so i switch back to mouse when the action gets too hot :)

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Got a few questions:

I also played mw4: vengence. First original game I bought for my P3 PC.
Campaign and online was fun...love using catapult , arm with full missle and annoying the heck out of people by chaining the missle. Mechwarrior 2 or 1 was quite good too ..not sure which version play while I was still in primary school in the 1990s on win 95.

What is pop tarting?

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Poptarting is about hiding behind cover and then popping out to take a quick long range shot (usually an alpha). CERLL boats, CGR/LGR boats are very common. Jumpjets are optional. Due to a hitbox bug in MW4V, the Mad Kitty 2 was a favourite for gauss rifle boating, while the heat bug meant that CERLL boats were also rife.

Mycrus

Reaction score
Poptarting is about hiding behind cover and then popping out to take a quick long range shot...

it is still a valid tactic, but it is not as devastating as the hitboxes are better sized & configured in mwo...

not sure if they have patched it already but i find the head hit box for the awesome is a bit big...

btw, open beta is 29th US time - so it will be tomorrow for us...

btw, that's the point of the fast striking medium mechs... they close the range quickly and hammer the 'poptarting' mech :)

----
my quick review of the G940 flight system

have played with the hotas over the weekend... wouldn't say that i've transitioned fully as a stick pilot - but i can now get some decent damage (but not yet up to my usual level when using mouse & kb)..

setting up your joystick
create a user.cfg text file in c:\games\piranha games\MechWarrior Online with these settings inside
cl_joystick_gain = 4.6
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 1
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
i_joystick_deadzone = 0.1
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

setting up joystick in the mwo client
menu - options
remap you joystick x/y axis, throttle, z axis (or rudder)
i've set it up that the rudder (or z axis) turn the mech, while the joystick y axis twists the torso
while you can setup the rest of the buttons within the mwo client, i prefered to use the joystick's profiler program to do that (because settings get wiped every so often)..

other settings:
i was getting a jittery joystick so i set the X & Y axis deadzone to 15%

what i wanted to do, but couldn't find a fix yet:
using the toe breaks on the pedals for jump jets and full stop - it does not work correctly... i'll try asking on the MWO forums for help...

impressions:
Accuracy = still cannot beat the pinpoint accuracy of a gaming mouse... especially when you have it set up with multiple dpi settings (ex. lower dpi for long range sniping)

Staying on target = joystick/hotas system allows you to 'stay on target' -- fluidly controlling the throttle, turning and finally twisting in one continuous linear movement... its just like when you play space sims or warplane games -- a joystick allows you to easily track an opponent...

Fun factor / immersion = of course joystick and hotas is unbeatable... your whole body to pilot the mechs just like in BT lore/canon :)

My suggestion - pick up a decent & affordable stick like the logitech extreme 3d pro.... if you like the gameplay only then invest in a hotas system... i went for the g940 because imma logitech fan and because it is 'cheap' compared to other systems where you have to buy them individually....

G940 specific info -- please remember to update your stick's firmware... this will stop the reversal bug from happening to the joystick.

Last edited:

Bonn

Master Member
Reaction score
Its a good game. Been in closed beta for quite awhile. But I do prefer that our ping can be the same as the US side. Yes. If everyone think alike, most will survive the fight.

Comparing this with MW4, MW online wins hands down. Only if they allow the allocation of the hardpoints for the weapons on the mech. Now its fixed to many variants of the same Mech which is not really that flexible. They should allow more customization of the mech. Seems like its either slug it out to earn more CBs or pay real money for game money.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.