Vpost? Borderlinx? Comgateway?

JTMonkey

Reaction score
I will jump right to my question. I plan to buy a few clothing from different merchants. After consolidating these few packages, will Borderlinx or Comgateway repackage them to the smallest volumetric weight to cut down my shipping cost?

xiaowhois

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which 1 will be a better choice to ship kindle or nexus 7 to sg?

Borderlinx or Comgateway?

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I must say vPOST service is totally rubbish.

I bought 2 items from Amazon and their dimensions are
1) 16.2 x 14.2 x 15.2 inches ; 10 pounds
2) 8.2 x 12 x 13.6 inches ; 5 pounds

however Amazon packed it into 1 single big box and the volume and weight difference is 20 kg which will cost me more than $150 extra in delivery fees.

I requested that vPOST discard the big box and just ship in the smaller boxes. But they refused and state

"Please be advised that the decision to repack a package will be made at the discretion of vPOST (as per our Terms and Conditions), if the parcel cannot fit in our standard sized boxes, we will retain the box wherein the parcel was originally packed. We do not repack items in customized boxes."

After sending them numerous email and calls where the respond is very slow. They send me this.

"Please be advised that there are also packages which are specially packed to ensure breakable items are cushioned. As such packages would potentially be bulky, the difference between the actual weight and volumetric weight may be higher. We will take into account such instances and repack only when the safety of the package will not be compromised.

We have liaised your concern to the relevant department and they have confirmed that we cannot split the shipments as per process of vPOST we do not split packages into two.

Kindly also be reminded of the 21 days holding period for you not to assess with any holding fees since your 3 package is already waiting for payment. We can temporary cancel this shipment into your account for you to be able to pay with your other 2 packages but we are not liable for the charges incurred and we cannot
waive the base charge if you will decide to ship this item to Singapore. Also this package already reached the beyond the 21 day holding period."

Please see the image, the 2 smaller boxes are being supplied and in no way will it affect shipments. On top of that, I have told vPOST that I will bear the responsibility should the good be damaged during shipment and yet they just give standard answers and insist to charge me the higher charge.

When I requested them to send the items back with me paying the postage fee. They even have the audacity to request administration charges of $10 and the holding fees of 21 days.

This is totally rubbish.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

I bought 2 items from Amazon and their dimensions are
1) 16.2 x 14.2 x 15.2 inches ; 10 pounds
2) 8.2 x 12 x 13.6 inches ; 5 pounds

1) Volumetric weight is 11.46KG for item 1 itself not including packing box
Base Charge : S$13.40
Shipping Charges : S$82.51
Fuel Surcharge : S$21.77
% Discount
(Press Enter Key)
: - S$0.00
Total GST* :
S$0.00
Total Cost* :
S$117.69

2. Volumetric weight is: 4.39KG for item 2 itself, not including packing box.

Base Charge : S$13.40
Shipping Charges : S$31.61
Fuel Surcharge : S$8.34
% Discount
(Press Enter Key)
: - S$0.00
Total GST* :
S$0.00
Total Cost* :
S$53.35

Total fees even if sent separately: $171.04 ( Not inclusive of the individual bigger packing box)
If we include the individual packing box, it's easily $200+.

All forwarders out there goes by volumetric weight and they don't send the items naked by the item itself..

You mentioned you were charged $150 extra. So you meant your bill is $300-$400?

What's the amount you thought you should be paying?

The box don't look like it can overcharge by $150.

Last edited:

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will jump right to my question. I plan to buy a few clothing from different merchants. After consolidating these few packages, will Borderlinx or Comgateway repackage them to the smallest volumetric weight to cut down my shipping cost?
All of them can't guarantee to pack to the smallest size, they don't custom make cartons to fit your items exactly.

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FML. Screw vpost.

They are charging me so much for a bag i ordered. the bag can be rolled up and they insist on not doing it on the pretense of damaging the item and starts charging me 2.5kg volumetric weight for a 0.8kg item.

God damn it. Screw Vpost.
I don't think any of the freight warders will accept your request.

2.5KG volumetric weight for a bag, imo is very reasonable.

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, outrageous charges + in USD, and contact live chat is the most useless thing you will ever experience with cs said things like they follow international standard bla bla bla, you will also shocked by volumetric dimension to your disadvantage even though its printed on the box.

I recently bought from iherb, costed me only 10USD for 4.5 kg shipping, imagine how much forwarder make your money.

Plus shipping charges that you paid on website doesn't reflect the charges that comes along with your package for e.g I paid 40-50USD but on shipping invoice comes with package only stated 10+USD. What a joke.
You know why Iherb only charge you 10USD?
Cause they contra from the money they earned from you for buying the products.

Don't believe?

Find me a postal service that sends at US$10 for 4.5KG from USA

amigoeva

Reaction score
I can't believe this. My colleague just bought a tumi bag that's foldable. The real weight is 2.5kg, but now comgateway is charging me 9.5kg for volumetric weight... and they're not offering me any repacking service... Very weird

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this. My colleague just bought a tumi bag that's foldable. The real weight is 2.5kg, but now comgateway is charging me 9.5kg for volumetric weight... and they're not offering me any repacking service... Very weird
No forwarders charge by real weight, so using real weight to opine is always irrelevant and wrong.

Even if they do have repacking services, they don't fold any products to avoid any chance of damaging it.

A 2.5KG bag sound very big to me volumetrically considering most medium-large backpack is normally below 2KG

micey84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It is not weird at all. It is very common to see 20" x 15" x 10" box being used to ship bag, especially for such an expensive one and airbag are used within the box to cushion it from damage.

It is only logical that they are not willing to fold it and be held responsible if it become damaged.

AshleyRiot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buying some stuffs to be shopped from UK for the first time...anyone had experience using VPost or Borderlinx? Which one would be better? :s11:

jazdrive

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you have not inquired about the possibility of repacking yet, you may wanna consider doing it; repacking could still be done.

On quite a few occasions I had shipments which did not have the selectable repack option but were repacked eventually after I sent emails to them simply by asking them to review those packages on the possibility of repacking.

maldito

Reaction score
You know why Iherb only charge you 10USD?
Cause they contra from the money they earned from you for buying the products.

Don't believe?

Find me a postal service that sends at US$10 for 4.5KG from USA

I bought from iherb also. I find their prices reasonable

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reasonable or not, is irrelevant to the question on why they able to charge low freight fees.
They still have profit margin which is what they use to contra your freight charges.

You noticed Iherb only mainly sell those out of no where unheard small brands? Cause such new small companies give large GP% to vendors for selling them.

exdeejay

Reaction score
I bought from iherb also. I find their prices reasonable

Yes very reasonable via dhl, even threadless charge very reasonable shipping. And for amazon always can use their direct ship overseas instead go to forwarders as to avoid huge shipping charges.

For merchants that ships via dhl, usually is around $4 USD per kg but we do not get this pricing as merchants wanted to earn.

kyleee

Reaction score
hi new to this.
I wanna buy amazon.com/PlayStation-3D-display-3/dp/B0050SZ49Y

should i use cgw or borderlinx ?
which is cheaper and whats the estimated cost?
and when it arrive at my doorstep, do i still have to pay any import tax or it is alrdy calculated and paid towards the freight forwarder?

IntelFlash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes very reasonable via dhl, even threadless charge very reasonable shipping. And for amazon always can use their direct ship overseas instead go to forwarders as to avoid huge shipping charges.

For merchants that ships via dhl, usually is around $4 USD per kg but we do not get this pricing as merchants wanted to earn.

jOCZF.png

Prices are in US$.

98UJt.png

Parameter is 5000 parcels a month with 1KG actual/volumetrical weight.

Care to share how to get flat US$4/KG?

Even if there's a cheaper super slow economy freight service at 50% off with another 50% off special discount also can't get US$4 from what i can see.

Send from SG to SG address, 1KG, yes US$4 maybe possible.

exdeejay

Reaction score
jOCZF.png

Prices are in US$.

98UJt.png

Parameter is 5000 parcels a month with 1KG actual/volumetrical weight.

Care to share how to get flat US$4/KG?

Even if there's a cheaper super slow economy freight service at 50% off with another 50% off special discount also can't get US$4 from what i can see.

Send from SG to SG address, 1KG, yes US$4 maybe possible.

Apparently you did NOT read well, go back and read what i type again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.