Windows 8 Pro US$39.99 Experience - Clean Install? Non Legit Win 7? All Answered.

iron2000

Reaction score
I guess Microsoft is more concerned about sales of the new Win8 devices and not so much on DIY machines.
Feels like they are moving towards becoming like Apple.
Windows PC(Mac) and DIY PC(Hackintosh).

Windows always makes me think twice about getting a new DIY PC, so far its always a new copy of OEM Windows for each new build.
Too bad Linux is not that user friendly yet, 100% driver problems on my laptop always.

Wish Microsoft will come up with a detailed FAQ (that is preferbably not hidden deep in some help site) for all our questions (before 31 Jan 2013 :p).
Or do they not know the specifics too?

By the way the anyone knows if the OEM Win8 Fuwell is selling is the said System Builder version?
http://www.fuwell.com.sg/promo.php?fId=&pId=&sId=01&lId=1&proId=522
I suppose its not under the offer till 31 Jan 2013.

Last edited:

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
ok, i can confirm what my buddy experimented :
he was going to install on his second pc (with second set of keys of cos) ...
1) re-used ISO downloaded previously via microsoft - yes
2) option selected during purchase - Keep Nothing
3) Installed on "new" hdd (old, but reformatted prior to Windows 8 Boot DVD [ie HDD reformatting wasn't done during or by Win8 Boot DVD = New Partion-less HDD - YES, can, successful

Great info. This should answer plenty of questions. I will add this in OP.

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
I guess Microsoft is more concerned about sales of the new Win8 devices and not so much on DIY machines.
Feels like they are moving towards becoming like Apple.
Windows PC(Mac) and DIY PC(Hackintosh).

Windows always makes me think twice about getting a new DIY PC, so far its always a new copy of OEM Windows for each new build.
Too bad Linux is not that user friendly yet, 100% driver problems on my laptop always.

Wish Microsoft will come up with a detailed FAQ (that is preferbably not hidden deep in some help site) for all our questions (before 31 Jan 2013 :p).
Or do they not know the specifics too?

Microsoft is called M$ for a reason. Haha. Yes, I think they are moving towards an Apple sorta biz. Back in the day, selling software (Windows/Office) was an awesome gold mine. The production cost for creating additional goods was really low and the profit margins were high. It made sense to sell plenty of software and avoid hardware.

Fast forward 20 years, software is easy to pirate and plenty of competition in the software space because it is easier and cheaper to create software as compared to hardware.

The profits swung towards the hardware side and Apple's biz strategy which is primarily hardware took off.

So M$ is always hunting for big profits, you can understand why Steve Ballmer went on record to tell investors that MS is going to be a Device and Services company.

In doing so, MS is trying to do what Apple and Google are doing. Some sorta fusion. Create a series of great hardware and also provide compelling services both local and on the cloud.

IMO, MS is kind of the middle ground at the moment. Their hardware has always been great and the surface hardware has been rated very highly. They can compete with Apple on the hardware side.

Their local software (Windows/Office) is good, arguably better than their competitors but their online services pale in comparison to Google. Even Apple's online services are more polished (but highly limited).

So I see them as a bit of both. Next 5 years interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Jas007

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think you still did not answer the last part, can your buddy activate successfully doing it that way?

activated ... and using

he's getting the free limited-offer Windows Media Pack as we speak ...

daristan

Master Member
Reaction score
SUPER GOOD NEWS FOR DUAL BOOT
Tested and Confirmed can work

tested on My Acer 64bits Win7 laptop :
1) Purchase and download as everybody do through online and cast into DVD
2) Kept my Partition as C drive for Win7 and D Drive for data
3) Reset my Win7 OS to factory default (for acer is press alt with f10)
4) Fresh Install Win7 and all drivers and software by factory default
5) Download EASEUS partition and creation a logical partition call F drive
6) Restart PC with the Windows 8 Pro upgrade DVD and boot up, enter Serial Number and continue with no problem
7) After that Think i select 'choose nothing or something like that' and choose the F drive to install the OS
8) After installation when it boot up, it will appear two selection of choosing Windows 8 or windows 7 within 30 seconds (can change to 5s)
9) Now i go back to Windows 7 and post in this forum
10) So far so good :deg::s36::s41:
One thing very interesting is that in win7, win7 os will appear in C drive and win8 is F drive. But when i boot up to win8, the win 8 os will appear C drive and win7 is F drive

Anybody got any luck to use the upgrade disk on a new PC let us know

Last edited:

daristan

Master Member
Reaction score
I would advise everybody to use Dual Boot if possible.
Too many 'NEW things to adapt to' until now still cannot find how to go to my computer to go to other drives to find my files, it really a steal for additional OS Pro at S$50. Let's hope will not have a lot problem to get my Win7 Driver to work on it.
I have 2 questions:
1) My '@' usually share with '2' keyboard buttons whenever I press the shift but it seem swap place with " button but it work alright in WIn7
2) Can I install the same software in two different OS and activate it, eg MS office and Photoshop since is the same laptop?

shachok86

Reaction score
Too many 'NEW things to adapt to' until now still cannot find how to go to my computer to go to other drives to find my files, it really a steal for additional OS Pro at S$50. Let's hope will not have a lot problem to get my Win7 Driver to work on it.
I have 2 questions:
1) My '@' usually share with '2' keyboard buttons whenever I press the shift but it seem swap place with " button but it work alright in WIn7

Change keyboard layout to US - International under Control Panel -> Language Input

Wee^2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have 2 questions:
2) Can I install the same software in two different OS and activate it, eg MS office and Photoshop since is the same laptop?

Use this keyboard shortcut to open up Windows Explorer, aka My Computer (ever since Win9x days this shortcut key has been around):

Windows Logo key + E

quekster

Reaction score
One question. What abt the drivers? Win 8 auto install or need dl again for win 8?

zippy79

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SUPER GOOD NEWS FOR DUAL BOOT
Tested and Confirmed can work

tested on My Acer 64bits Win7 laptop :
1) Purchase and download as everybody do through online and cast into DVD
2) Kept my Partition as C drive for Win7 and D Drive for data
3) Reset my Win7 OS to factory default (for acer is press alt with f10)
4) Fresh Install Win7 and all drivers and software by factory default
5) Download EASEUS partition and creation a logical partition call F drive
6) Restart PC with the Windows 8 Pro upgrade DVD and boot up, enter Serial Number and continue with no problem
7) After that Think i select 'choose nothing or something like that' and choose the F drive to install the OS
8) After installation when it boot up, it will appear two selection of choosing Windows 8 or windows 7 within 30 seconds (can change to 5s)
9) Now i go back to Windows 7 and post in this forum
10) So far so good :deg::s36::s41:

Anybody got any luck to use the upgrade disk on a new PC let us know

I manage to download $17.99 and burn the ISO to DVD and boot from my DVD and install. Consider as upgrade disc?

freakerknoid

Reaction score
I am starting to like the windows 8 already, its growing on me. All the program i use on windows 7 i have no problem with windows 8 and for the price of $17.99 pro version i think its worth a try. Its as snappy as windows 7 and the startup was really quick if you have a ssd better, almost instant.

People said windows 8 is better build for touch screen but you will have no using it with a mouse....

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
One question. What abt the drivers? Win 8 auto install or need dl again for win 8?

like all previous windows release, if your peripherals are pretty old, the new OS will have the drivers included.

Yes, you will need the win8 drivers for things like graphic cards, audio card, mouse, etc

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
like all previous windows release, if your peripherals are pretty old, the new OS will have the drivers included.

Yes, you will need the win8 drivers for things like graphic cards, audio card, mouse, etc

Unless your audio card comes from Creative! Haha. :s22:

I use the Titanium X-Fi. The Win 8 beta driver from Creative worked for me (!!! :s13:). A mixed bag if you look at the Creative forums.

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
For those who have trouble activating a clean install. (I've heard some success and some failure, I have had 2 successes on my end so far).

Apparently, this legit Windows 7 trick works for Windows 8:
Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible?

Activate Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Windows 8 users who noticed that the operating system can’t be activated after the installation may want to try the following workaround that worked to activate when installing Windows 7 using an upgrade on a clean PC.

Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
Reboot Windows now.
Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
I am starting to like the windows 8 already, its growing on me. All the program i use on windows 7 i have no problem with windows 8 and for the price of $17.99 pro version i think its worth a try. Its as snappy as windows 7 and the startup was really quick if you have a ssd better, almost instant.

People said windows 8 is better build for touch screen but you will have no using it with a mouse....

Same experience here. It has been good. The only trouble I see is the adaptation for people who are very very reliant on the old start menu. The upgrade will piss them off for a good 5+ hours until they adapt.

SimonLam

Reaction score
Same experience here. It has been good. The only trouble I see is the adaptation for people who are very very reliant on the old start menu. The upgrade will piss them off for a good 5+ hours until they adapt.

It actually pissed me off when I ran the consumer preview lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.