Head/earphones Recommendations Thread

kaixax555

Honorary Member
Reaction score
All this time, I've been using IEM exclusively. Since usage is 85% desk 10% around the house, I figure I should venture into headphones.

Would like suggestions for my 1st headphone.

Your rig: 85% Macbook Pro, 15% iPhone5. I plan to get a USB DAC + headphone amplifier, once NwAvGuy gets his ODA out.
What type of usage: 50% movies, 50% music (ALAC lossless)
File format used in your source: AAC/AC3 m4v, AAC m4a
Genre of music you listen to: 90% POP, 10% vocals
Headphone / earphone type: Closed Circumaural headphones
Budget: $200 & below

Sound preference:
  • No sound fatigue please, I believe I'm too noob to appreciate cold analytical sounds
  • I think I'll be happy with bass emphasis + effortless soaring highs. Weightage 60% bass, 40% clarity

Other requirements (if any)
  • Should be light & comfortable
  • Should be easy to drive: good w/o amplifier, better with amplifier

My noob shortlist on paper, feel free to correct me:
  • Sennheiser HD 449 $149
  • Sony MDR-ZX700 $155
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $238
  • Shure SRH440: highs are bright, fatiguing
  • Grado SR60i: overly sharp treble

Grado SR60i should be out, it is an open can anyway. Think M50 is a pretty good choice.

Oh and btw people who have tried the industrial earmuff like Rockitsounds R-shield and Monoprice 8323?

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Thanks but I think you mis-read my asking. I asked for "no analog volume control". Also, paiseh but CKM500is looks fugly.. :)

Thanks! I'm sorry. But what if i changed my budget to 200$? Decided not to spend too much on a earphone. How is shure 215 and westone um1? Are they suitable for my needs? I kinda like that kind of design!
Sound wise I would say the SE215 =) It has detachable cable too.

All this time, I've been using IEM exclusively. Since usage is 85% desk 10% around the house, I figure I should venture into headphones.

Would like suggestions for my 1st headphone.

Your rig: 85% Macbook Pro, 15% iPhone5. I plan to get a USB DAC + headphone amplifier, once NwAvGuy gets his ODA out.
What type of usage: 50% movies, 50% music (ALAC lossless)
File format used in your source: AAC/AC3 m4v, AAC m4a
Genre of music you listen to: 90% POP, 10% vocals
Headphone / earphone type: Closed Circumaural headphones
Budget: $200 & below

Sound preference:
  • No sound fatigue please, I believe I'm too noob to appreciate cold analytical sounds
  • I think I'll be happy with bass emphasis + effortless soaring highs. Weightage 60% bass, 40% clarity

Other requirements (if any)
  • Should be light & comfortable
  • Should be easy to drive: good w/o amplifier, better with amplifier

My noob shortlist on paper, feel free to correct me:
  • Sennheiser HD 449 $149
  • Sony MDR-ZX700 $155
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $238
  • Shure SRH440: highs are bright, fatiguing
  • Grado SR60i: overly sharp treble
I would say the M50 is a good choice if not you can stay to the Sony ZX700

Do consider the Fischer Audio FA004 too. =)
Stereo your one stop headphones and earphones store in Singapore

- Your rig (iphone 5)
- What type of usage (movies/music)
- File format used in your source (mp3 )
- Genre of music you listen to (songs)
- Headphone / earphone type (cirumaural or IEM)
- Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control)
- Budget ($150)
You can try the Sennheiser MM70i and also the House of Marley Freedom Collection

thegamer1907

Master Member
Reaction score
My rig: ipod touch 3rd gen and onboard sound for rig
Usage: mainly music in camp (currently serving ns) with occasional gaming
File format: mainly mp3 320kbps
Genre: Pop, dance, electro, kpop and jpop
Budget: <200, if <150 even better
Headphone type: closed cup headphones
Other req: im looking for a headphone which has decent aesthetics as well as sound that is similar to the beats solo hd, with good clarity and bass perfect for electro and kpop, but im reluctant to pay such high price for it. Currently looking at the pioneer se-mj751s but they arent available locally yet, only the mj721s are but heard they arent that good hence lOoking for alternatives. If all else fails i would order the mj751s from ebay instead
Thanks in advance.

Any recco for my case?

xiaozozo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
- My Rig: onboard soundcard
- Type of usage: music, gaming.. maybe handphone use
- File format: mainly mp3 and aac
- Music genre: rnb, electro, house, kpop (similar to electro)
- Budget: <$200
- Headphone/ earphone type: headphone BLUETOOTH
- Other requirements (if any): hope to get a bluetooth headphone, as i already have alot of clutter and wires on my desktop configuration... however if there are really good headphones that are within my budget for suggestions, i might also consider :) more bass would be better for me as it suits my genre of music

also must have 3.5mm connector as my phone case doesnt allow fit with other connectors

i am also using a creative 2.1 speaker set at the moment with an onboard soundcard, mobo is by nvidia

thanks and appreciate all comments and pm!

hi teamstereo, thank you for your recommendation. However i want to apologize that perhaps my request for bluetooth has sorta limited your suggestions. tbh, the jabra design doesnt appeal to me lol :o are there other wireless headphones avail? a mic would be helpful too

what i have in mind was something with puffy earmuffs lol =:p

Reaction score
Your rig (mp3 players, amps, soundcard etc): HTC Desire S / Apple iPad (gen 1), perhaps iPhone 5
What type of usage (movies/ gaming/ music etc): Music/Gaming
File format used in your source (i.e. flac, mp3 etc): MP3
Genre of music you listen to (classical, jazz, metal, etc): Soundtrack, Dance, Pop, Rock, K-Pop, J-Punk Rock
Headphone / earphone type (closed, open, cirumaural, IEM etc): Closed-back, and another separate IEM
Other requirements (if any) (mic, volume control, 5.1ch, 7.1ch etc): A mic would be nice (for gaming) however not really necessary. Needs to be easy to drive, and 65-70% Bass, 30-35% Clarity. Needs to be very portable.
Budget (in figures): Below $250, preferably below $200

Below are some pieces I'd want to hear:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Hi again. Just refreshing my request. I was thinking of the ATH-M50s/LE but it was too heavy and stuff for portable use. Thus, this request is for TWO separate and more portable choices, closed-back circumaural or IEM.

Last edited:

empire177

Reaction score
My Rig: HTC SENSATION XE WITH BEATS AUDIO
Type of usage: Listening to music
File format: MP3
Music genre: Anything that sounds appealing to me!! More of the mainstream songs nowadays. Still do listen to rock songs by MCR,Good Charlotte,FOB,Green Day etc
Budget: Around 200$ but Below 250$
Headphone/ earphone type: IEM

Currently using the stock beats earpiece that came with my phone! Previously owned a klipsh s4. Was actually wanting to get a Beats Tour earpiece to pair up with my phone for the cool factor as well as rumours stating that Beats Audio goes well with Beats earpiece... But decided to get some opinions instead! Thanks!!!

kaixax555

Honorary Member
Reaction score
My Rig: HTC SENSATION XE WITH BEATS AUDIO
Music genre: Anything that sounds appealing to me!! More of the mainstream songs nowadays. Still do listen to rock songs by MCR,Good Charlotte,FOB,Green Day etc
Budget: Around 200$ but Below 250$

Currently using the stock beats earpiece that came with my phone! Previously owned a klipsh s4. Was actually wanting to get a Beats Tour earpiece to pair up with my phone for the cool factor as well as rumours stating that Beats Audio goes well with Beats earpiece... But decided to get some opinions instead! Thanks!!!

hmmm... if you like Bass the SE215 looks to be a pretty good choice
if you like the sound of BA can look at Brainwavz B2, Fischer DBA-02 mk-II, Rockitsounds R-50, UE700, GR-01
Oso can go for GR-07

suggest you audition some of them to see your preferences

empire177

Reaction score
hmmm... if you like Bass the SE215 looks to be a pretty good choice
if you like the sound of BA can look at Brainwavz B2, Fischer DBA-02 mk-II, Rockitsounds R-50, UE700, GR-01
Oso can go for GR-07

suggest you audition some of them to see your preferences

I do kinda like bass haha.. Erm should i get a single driver or dual driver iem? The SE215 i did consider it but i do see reviews stating that the cables are quite proned to damage? And izzit alot better than klipsch s4? Cos i want to have like a sort of "upgrade" Thanks!

LouisLoh

Reaction score
I do kinda like bass haha.. Erm should i get a single driver or dual driver iem? The SE215 i did consider it but i do see reviews stating that the cables are quite proned to damage? And izzit alot better than klipsch s4? Cos i want to have like a sort of "upgrade" Thanks!

I have heard both the SE215 and S4 briefly, and yes, the SE215 is an upgrade over the S4. The S4 is very very sibilant and that alone should be a dealbreaker for anyone.

Do try the EPH-100 from Yamaha. Gets rave reviews for bass lovers.

Again, if you don't mind second-hand stuff, there are quite a few sub-$200 UE TF10s selling around, and at that price, nothing can quite beat it.

empire177

Reaction score
I have heard both the SE215 and S4 briefly, and yes, the SE215 is an upgrade over the S4. The S4 is very very sibilant and that alone should be a dealbreaker for anyone.

Do try the EPH-100 from Yamaha. Gets rave reviews for bass lovers.

Again, if you don't mind second-hand stuff, there are quite a few sub-$200 UE TF10s selling around, and at that price, nothing can quite beat it.
Do you mind explaining what do you mean by s4 is sibilant? o_O I don't mind 2nd hand stuff as long as it's still in good condition and of course, there's the warranty issue...

clause

Reaction score
- My Rig: iTouch, Laptop, Phone.

- Type of usage: Music, Movies, Gaming here and there (since i have a gaming headphone)

- File format: 256kbps to 320kbps mp3 format. Lossless.

- Music genre: Classical, R&B, Pop, Dance, Rock, Bit of Blues.

- Budget: <$400 (If can get cheaper will be great but if not that's fine as well, try not to cross over)

- Headphone/ earphone type: In Ear Headphone with noise isolation if possible.

- Other requirement: Good bass. More towards bass instead of acoustic.

Side Info.

I'm using BOSE Quiet Comfort 3 headphone at the moment. I love the bass from the headphone and the sound quality from it.

But I need an in ear headphone to bring out from home. I want the portability and if possible an in ear headphone that durable as well.

I've been looking and you guys mention SE215, UE. Is there any other earphone that I should take a look at ?

Want to know what are my options and shrink it from there before going down to try them out. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

kaltzbalger

Reaction score

- Type of usage: Music, Movies, Gaming here and there (since i have a gaming headphone)

- Budget: <$400 (If can get cheaper will be great but if not that's fine as well, try not to cross over)

Side Info.

I'm using BOSE Quiet Comfort 3 headphone at the moment. I love the bass from the headphone and the sound quality from it.

But I need an in ear headphone to bring out from home. I want the portability and if possible an in ear headphone that durable as well.

I've been looking and you guys mention SE215, UE. Is there any other earphone that I should take a look at ?

Want to know what are my options and shrink it from there before going down to try them out. Thanks a lot!

I think the ASG-1.2 will suit you very well. Very good isolation, and they sound great with the genres you listed (pretty much what I listen to as well). For more info you can refer to my review here: [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-1 rev 1.2 : A Custom Lookalike (2/11/12 update: Comply and Jaben Foam Tips!)

xiaozozo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi teamstereo, thank you for your recommendation. However i want to apologize that perhaps my request for bluetooth has sorta limited your suggestions. tbh, the jabra design doesnt appeal to me lol :o are there other wireless headphones avail? a mic would be helpful too

what i have in mind was something with puffy earmuffs lol =:p

The Halo 2 has mic =) you mean something with a more comfortable padding? =)

yes yes, something with more comfortable padding and without sound loss to surrounding. I saw a review on utube, the sound loss is quite significant and can affect people around me (trains etc.). Though my main usage would be home use with PC.

sorry for the inconvenience :o

luloos

Master Member
Reaction score
My Rig: S3/ipod
Music genre: rock, pop and etc many genres
Budget: $150 and below

I used to use UE metrofi220, really love the bass and sound of it, however looks like no one really sells them anymore, so would like to look for similar or better UE model with good bass and sound like my old UE, any recommendations? hehe Thanks in advance.

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Do you mind explaining what do you mean by s4 is sibilant? o_O I don't mind 2nd hand stuff as long as it's still in good condition and of course, there's the warranty issue...

Sibilant means its very prone to emphasize the 's' sounds or cymbal crashes. Usually this is due to uncontrolled treble.

LouisLoh

Reaction score

Side Info.

If you want a bass-oriented pair, try the Futuresonics Atrios M5. But for your listed genres, I suggest trying a few balance armature IEMs too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.