Shanghai

alexljy

Reaction score
I ll be going to Shanghai in december, then going to Hangzhou from there. There are 2 railway stations in shanghai, the trains to hangzhou only leave from the southern ones? I notice alot more hotel options in the north, so was thinking of staying in that area, since I ll be doing like 1 night Shanghai -> Hangzhou + others > Shanghai again. on the return, I am pretty much decided with Seagull on the bund, so just thinking of the first night's hotel.

tycosiao

Master Member
Reaction score
I ll be going to Shanghai in december, then going to Hangzhou from there. There are 2 railway stations in shanghai, the trains to hangzhou only leave from the southern ones? I notice alot more hotel options in the north, so was thinking of staying in that area, since I ll be doing like 1 night Shanghai -> Hangzhou + others > Shanghai again. on the return, I am pretty much decided with Seagull on the bund, so just thinking of the first night's hotel.

The high speed trains all originate from the south station and it makes traveling in China much more civilized.

The subway system is pretty reliable and cheap so I wouldn't mind take a 20mins train to the south station.

OceanEleven

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks, any reputable chinese brand down jacket to recommend?

Go there and buy if you can take the cold else better settle it in Singapore. Qi Pu Lu is like Platinum Mall in BKK. Big place selling cheap products that may not be to your liking.

Try looking in Uniqlo or H&M, they might have one or 2 items that suits you. All you need is a just good jacket and a sweater is more than enough. Dec is still not that cold yet. Shanghai get chilly only when it is very windy, else 5-10 Deg C is ok.

OceanEleven

Master Member
Reaction score

Seagull? What hotel is that? Just stay wherever you want, depend on timing, RMB50 can get you to alot of places in Shanghai from Bund area.

Take a look at Charms Hotel on Jiu JiangLu (九江路). If price did not change much, should be within RMB600-800 range. Smack right beside Nanjing Lu, walking distance to many places including The Bund. But be warned, this is a Chinese Hotel, old and not that class looking but the location makes it all up.

tiowher

Reaction score
rmb50 bund area? sure it's clean and not hostel?

cheapest I found was rmb200 near bund, called bestay.

feel free to list down a few and I'll check out your suggestions :)

wah RMB 200 near Bund .... and not hostel not easy leh...

New World Holiday Haodu Hotel from RMB 130
HP87642330.jpg

Chinas Best Value Inn Jiujiang Road Bund from RMB 268
HP40462990.jpg

Jia Na Hotel from RMB 170
HP43158702.jpg

Lakeside Holiday Inn from RMB 181

HP40576042.jpg

OceanEleven

Master Member
Reaction score
rmb50 bund area? sure it's clean and not hostel?

cheapest I found was rmb200 near bund, called bestay.

feel free to list down a few and I'll check out your suggestions :)

RMB50 meaning the taxi fare. Starting from Bund area, can bring you to many places within city area, such as Cheng Huang Miao, Huai Hai Lu, Xin Tian Di, Pudong Hyatt Hotel (Jin Mao) etc or even up to train station.

Dont waste time looking out for buses and trains especially if you are on a tight schedule and also not travelling out off Shanghai.

From Pudong Airport, you may consider to take their magnetic train, think about RMB60 per trip, quite worth it if you are alone and not with a lot of baggage and early in the morning to avoid the peak hour jam. Reaching the station in Long Yang Lu (Pudong), you can then catch a cab to any where else. Pudong Airport to Pudong City is approx RMB100 (Subject to time and traffic and where you are going). Taxis starts from RMB12.

m1kid85

Master Member
Reaction score
RMB50 meaning the taxi fare. Starting from Bund area, can bring you to many places within city area, such as Cheng Huang Miao, Huai Hai Lu, Xin Tian Di, Pudong Hyatt Hotel (Jin Mao) etc or even up to train station.

Dont waste time looking out for buses and trains especially if you are on a tight schedule and also not travelling out off Shanghai.

From Pudong Airport, you may consider to take their magnetic train, think about RMB60 per trip, quite worth it if you are alone and not with a lot of baggage and early in the morning to avoid the peak hour jam. Reaching the station in Long Yang Lu (Pudong), you can then catch a cab to any where else. Pudong Airport to Pudong City is approx RMB100 (Subject to time and traffic and where you are going). Taxis starts from RMB12.

Can check with u all. Can we like avoid taking the Magnetic train and just take their local subway straight to city centre?

Or still must take Magnetic train then change to subway?

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can check with u all. Can we like avoid taking the Magnetic train and just take their local subway straight to city centre?

Or still must take Magnetic train then change to subway?

Can. Line 2 will take u all the way to nanjing road east. Takes alot longer though.

m1kid85

Master Member
Reaction score
Can. Line 2 will take u all the way to nanjing road east. Takes alot longer though.

Ok Thanks a lot. Think I will just take the subway. cos my hotel sheraton is very near line 4 and 10. Siping road

OceanEleven

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok Thanks a lot. Think I will just take the subway. cos my hotel sheraton is very near line 4 and 10. Siping road

Siping Rd is a long road, near Yang Pu Bridge. If you are on biz trip, better just take taxi (est RMB170-200) and claim, personal trip, then subway. Do note that depends on your baggage size and type, you will be hauling them along up and down esp when you need to change line, not forgetting the madness of rush hour. :s22:

Last edited:

m1kid85

Master Member
Reaction score
Siping Rd is a long road, near Yang Pu Bridge. If you are on biz trip, better just take taxi (est RMB170-200) and claim, personal trip, then subway. Do note that depends on your baggage size and type, you will hauling them along up and down esp when you need to change line, not forgetting the madness of rush hour. :s22:

I reach Shanghai around 3pm if no delay... Its a personal trip so likely take subway. i check the hotel is very near the subway line 4 and 10. only 2 minute walk to the hotel. Should be fine though haha. Bo pian me too cheapbo liao

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to change lines in a train station, the lines are usually very far apart and have to go up and down the stairs. so good luck if you are carrying big luggages!

m1kid85

Master Member
Reaction score
to change lines in a train station, the lines are usually very far apart and have to go up and down the stairs. so good luck if you are carrying big luggages!

wah really ar sian... Like Malaysia KL like that? Bangkok airport railway transfer i still ok.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah so long ar... like worse then KL... Chui maybe think of other alternatives like Taxi le

Singaporeans really take the MRT for granted.

Plenty of walking in the metro/subway in japan, china, Italy and Russia.

OceanEleven

Master Member
Reaction score
wah so long ar... like worse then KL... Chui maybe think of other alternatives like Taxi le

Just take a cab and save the walking for other countries when the cab fare is cheap.From Pudong take the Magnetic Train, grab the 2 way tix if possible, cheaper. From end station (one stop only) then take a cab to wherever.

m1kid85

Master Member
Reaction score
will see about it... I just hope my plane wont delay I happy le ahaha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.