Microsoft Surface

Twisticles

Reaction score
That's odd? You sure you installed or enabled the digital certificate?

Oh, is there one? How?

Funnily enough I was at SGH today, and was able to log into wireless@SG there no problem...when you connect it asks if you want to log in with username/password to be taken to the website...if you click to log in, you can enter the details in the network settings side bar directly. No SGx at SGH though, so couldn't try that.

Twisticles

Reaction score
hows watching flash live stream on surface? currently using galaxy note and the phone get real hot after 10-20min streaming.. will microsoft support bettER?

I stream Netflix no problems (although VPN makes it a bit slow = low/SD quality)

There is also a trick to add sites to the MS "whitelist" so you can see flash items in *any* website in IE10 metro or desktop.

lovejade

Master Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread, but wasn't able to find an answer—does anyone know when the Surface RT will be available in Singapore? And, if it's already out, can anyone point me to a shop that has demo units on display? I'd love to give Surface a try.

Thanks in advance!

date not released.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, is there one? How?

Funnily enough I was at SGH today, and was able to log into wireless@SG there no problem...when you connect it asks if you want to log in with username/password to be taken to the website...if you click to log in, you can enter the details in the network settings side bar directly. No SGx at SGH though, so couldn't try that.
Bro! No wonder you can't connect. Wireless@SGx uses 802.11x authentication which needs signed digital certificate. Look here.

iCELLwireless.net - It's Your World. Unwired.

Use the guide for Windows 7. It's close enough to Windows 8 & I assume RT.

GanCW

Reaction score
I placed 2 identical orders last Monday. First order just arrived at cgw but the other order is stil 'in process' and has not been shipped out from the factory ! :sad:

Last edited:

jlhc87

Reaction score
Using the Surface with Wireless@SG is really painful because you can multi-task and load sites much faster than other tablets. I hope someone can try if any 4G usb modem works with Surface.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Using the Surface with Wireless@SG is really painful because you can multi-task and load sites much faster than other tablets. I hope someone can try if any 4G usb modem works with Surface.
Use Wireless@SGx where you can coz not as many people have configured it correctly.

stupid_manu

Reaction score
I am still waiting for my surface to reach cgw... cant wait to get my hands on it...

btw, hows the batt life? Any issues with the touch cover?

edotkim

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses ashhong and lovejade! Hopefully Microsoft will make an announcement at some point soon.

Twisticles

Reaction score
So I went to visit friends yesterday with my Surface for the first time. I had previously been there with my W8 laptop and logged onto their wifi.

So I opened up the Surface...to find that it was already connected to their wifi! Login details synced between my devices - that is a very cool feature.

Does this work for Windows Phone 8 devices also?

I love the integration between my surface/laptop/desktop and the docs/music/images/video sync making everything available via skydrive.

I notice in IE10 that my "most visited" sites are in front of me on any device, irrespective of where I browsed them - wish it would simply open up a browser with all the tabs that are already open on my other PCs though...

CherylW

Reaction score
What's the reason why everyone's getting the RT?

Other than techies' interest, there's barely any apps. I feel tickled by the idea you can see a full Windows Explorer desktop interface but cannot install any legacy desktop applications.

Yes, office is a deal but not dealbreaker. I wonder if i should buy it.

chansl89

Reaction score

Other than techies' interest, there's barely any apps. I feel tickled by the idea you can see a full Windows Explorer desktop interface but cannot install any legacy desktop applications.

I wanted to get surface too .. But too expensive for its function .. And u r right .. Office is not a dealbreaker .. Android can purchase apps that have similar office function .. I am also considering if i should just get it or get a galaxy note 10.1 .. I just saw a youtube video where the guy open some apps and it seemed pretty lag .. wonder if just his case or common in surface ..:(

CherylW

Reaction score
yah but at what price point will you justify the purchase for pro?

Microsoft, RT and Pro looks exactly the same, but you can't install anything on RT, only their new web apps. sure mislead some, you don't see that on mac os and ipad.

GanCW

Reaction score

If you are unsure you why you need it, you probably don't need it.
For big corporations using MS products, having IE and MS office is a requirement. Other enterprise apps are now mostly SAAS so there is no need for app - SFDC, Workday, SAP, Clarify etc all are web based so you don't really need any other apps for doing mainstream office work. As such Win RT tablet is more suitable for people who uses mainly MS office and web based application services.

Last edited:

GanCW

Reaction score
yah but at what price point will you justify the purchase for pro?

Microsoft, RT and Pro looks exactly the same, but you can't install anything on RT, only their new web apps. sure mislead some, you don't see that on mac os and ipad.

It depends on how you plan to use your tablet and what applications you need to use. If you just want to read email, browse the web and play games, iPad or Android would be a better choice. If you have specifics legacy apps that are very important to you then you should consider Win 8 Pro or tablet/notebook hybrid.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.