Microsoft Surface

Twisticles

Reaction score
What's the reason why everyone's getting the RT?

Because it's there ;)

Other than techies' interest, there's barely any apps. I feel tickled by the idea you can see a full Windows Explorer desktop interface but cannot install any legacy desktop applications.

Yes, office is a deal but not dealbreaker. I wonder if i should buy it.

Honestly, I haven't felt deprived of apps - but then most of what I do with a tab is realised thru office or IE anyway. 16,000+ apps with 300-500 being added every day...the desktop and laptop market for regular windows8 is propelling the app development in ways other ecosystems could only dream of.

The trad desktop on the RT of course comes into its own when you flip open your kickstand and touch keyboard and use it like a laptop with the rest of the boardroom. But it also gives you access to the settings and underbelly of the OS if you need it. Even simple things like File Explorer makes this tablet much more familiar and usable to PC users than other tablets.

Gone are my android and iPad now, I only carry the Surface.

Of course, its not perfect and if I had my way I would want:
1) 3G at least, pref LTE
2) RT version of Outlook (the Mail app is kind of basic)
3) To play MKV files

Twisticles

Reaction score
yah but at what price point will you justify the purchase for pro?

Microsoft, RT and Pro looks exactly the same, but you can't install anything on RT, only their new web apps. sure mislead some, you don't see that on mac os and ipad.

I don't think its any more or less misleading that MacOS...you can't install Mac programs on an iPad, you only expect to be able to install apps. Its the same with the Surface...

The difference with Win8/Win8RT is that apps in the store will work on both versions of Windows 8.

Chiron

Reaction score
I am gunning for the Surface Pro version

I want to be able to sit on my sofa n use the tablet easily.
I am currently using the Sony z viao, which is already an outstanding piece of laptop, however being a lappy, it's not comfortable to put on my lap for a long period.

I want a full spec tablet, esp with full java capability. Hv been waiting for someone to rls it. Finally MS is doing it.

CherylW

Reaction score
The price point question was actually directed to Chiron coz she hasn't bought it. Will a 10.6 inch screen justify the cost for the Pro that you will use for everything.

Thanks for the replies, I'm still finding a compelling reason for RT. What I was referring to below was Mac OS and iPad are visually distinctive. You can straightaway tell.

I don't think its any more or less misleading that MacOS...

The difference with Win8/Win8RT is that apps in the store will work on both versions of Windows 8.

CherylW

Reaction score
Should I get Samsung ativ instead? When is surface pro finally reaching sing? This is 'killing me softly'.

GanCW

Reaction score
Of course, its not perfect and if I had my way I would want:
1) 3G at least, pref LTE
2) RT version of Outlook (the Mail app is kind of basic)
3) To play MKV files
Agree with you on the shortcomings. There is no excuse for not providing an RT version of Outlook. However, I believer when corporate IT starts evaluating and deploying win 8 tablet, MS will be pressured to provide a version of Outlook for RT

Last edited:

chingkt

Reaction score
Anybody looking for a BNIB Microsoft surface 32GB model with black touch cover can PM me, my order just reach Singapore. :):):)

Last edited:

GanCW

Reaction score
The reason why MS decided to develop a version of win 8 for RT is because currently Intel chips cannot match the power efficiency of ARM chips. As a result, win 8 tablet using Intel chips will not be able to match iOS and Android tablets in term of battery life, weight and heat generation. Thus, Tablet using Intel chips will either have shorter battery life or if they have the same similar battery life (8-10 hrs) or the battery will need to have much higher capacity and thus the tablet will be much thicker and heavier.

So do not expect Pro surface to weigh the same as RT surface.

In the end it is all about tradeoffs.

CherylW

Reaction score
Don't have yet other than the default player. Can you even run Windows Media Player on RT?

When Surface Pro comes, at least you know you'll be able to sync the Ipad lol.

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't have yet other than the default player. Can you even run Windows Media Player on RT?

When Surface Pro comes, at least you know you'll be able to sync the Ipad lol.

there are a few players i already installed in surface. hahaha i dun watch movies from ipad lol...

GanCW

Reaction score
where you guys get the tablet

You can buy direct from MS online store , have a transshipment compny such as vPost or ComGateway buy for you or buy from members in this forum who are reselling their surface.

p4zl23

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm still finding a compelling reason for RT. What I was referring to below was Mac OS and iPad are visually distinctive. You can straightaway tell.

Thats the idea behind it. To "synchronize" the interface between them. I feel that its good. Rather than very different.

Consumer would know one la diff name what winRT and win 8

GanCW

Reaction score
Just received my surface. Got my exchange, yahoo, Gmail setup, downloaded evernote, zinio, kindle, tunein radio, Skype and lync. That covers most of the apps I use regularly. Great to have Lync as I can now do lync audio and video call from tablet. What I will miss from my iPad are Flipboard, Viber and Enjoy Sudoku.

I like the arrow keys and the numeric keys on the on screen keyboard.

jlhc87

Reaction score
Have anyone managed to connect their Surface to Wireless@SGx? Tried at three places so far but no luck. I just followed the instructions in the pdf. There's no need to download anything right?

Red_Cheesepie

Master Member
Reaction score
I've just gotten Surface 32gb without touch keyboard! For those in doubt, comes with 15gb free after first set up and doing windows update. Testing out battery life now. Anyone can get their usb 3.0 flashdrive to work with the 2.0 port? Mine can read 2.0 but not 3.0 flashdrive. Those who wanna get a separate keyboard, I would highly recommend Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard, good battery life and super responsive. The keyboard comes with shortcut buttons specially for Windows 8. Surface is amazing.

ashhong

Reaction score
I've just gotten Surface 32gb without touch keyboard! For those in doubt, comes with 15gb free after first set up and doing windows update. Testing out battery life now. Anyone can get their usb 3.0 flashdrive to work with the 2.0 port? Mine can read 2.0 but not 3.0 flashdrive. Those who wanna get a separate keyboard, I would highly recommend Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard, good battery life and super responsive. The keyboard comes with shortcut buttons specially for Windows 8. Surface is amazing.

how about the type cover?
tried that, it give feedback while typing like a normal keyboard while still being very light.

wedge mobile keyboard is good but it seem that the cover will experience wear and tear easily.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.