Microsoft Surface

satayxp

Banned
Reaction score
The web doesn't allow you to auto sync your files, and will always lag behind a dedicated interface. I suppose if your purpose is read only access then web access is still ok, but for working on the go, having a native Dropbox syncing on the folder where you're saving your docs helps a lot.

true also lor..

gooiee

Reaction score
i would consider if it wasn't atom. atom at this age is like ancient

depends on individual needs. Atom processing sucks big time BUT battery is simply amazing.
Those on the go would love the atom as they are required to 'work' on occasions whilst on the go and not do heavy duty work (like myself). The occasions when I need to work outside , yes it does suck but I have to leave with the lagging and hanging. I have a main PC at home to do my heavy duty work and all files synced by skydrive

If its going to be at home most of the time, then do not get the atom, you will vomit blood. Since battery is not a much concern (you only bring out once a while), then get the i5, i7 models --- but then again, why not just get a normal laptop at a cheaper price.

ashhong

Reaction score
depends on individual needs. Atom processing sucks big time BUT battery is simply amazing.
Those on the go would love the atom as they are required to 'work' on occasions whilst on the go and not do heavy duty work (like myself). The occasions when I need to work outside , yes it does suck but I have to leave with the lagging and hanging. I have a main PC at home to do my heavy duty work and all files synced by skydrive

If its going to be at home most of the time, then do not get the atom, you will vomit blood. Since battery is not a much concern (you only bring out once a while), then get the i5, i7 models --- but then again, why not just get a normal laptop at a cheaper price.

if work refer to MS Office, the RT version is sufficient and you don't even need atom for that.

the reason behind getting a iCore even though it is more expensive is that it is both a laptop (similar processing power to ultrabook) and tablet. and if you compare that to buying a laptop and tablet separately, the cost actually add up.

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
if work refer to MS Office, the RT version is sufficient and you don't even need atom for that.

the reason behind getting a iCore even though it is more expensive is that it is both a laptop (similar processing power to ultrabook) and tablet. and if you compare that to buying a laptop and tablet separately, the cost actually add up.

The main reason for getting an iCore (Pro) should be that there are thousands of more applications that will run on it compared to the RT.

gooiee

Reaction score

my work refers to times when I need to suddenly debug some work on VS. if solely office, then a galaxy note 10.1 would be enough as RT with third party office apps
therefore, each individual should consider their own needs to determine what is most suitable for them

ashhong

Reaction score
my work refers to times when I need to suddenly debug some work on VS. if solely office, then a galaxy note 10.1 would be enough as RT with third party office apps
therefore, each individual should consider their own needs to determine what is most suitable for them

i had to agree, for developers like us, work mean VS.
everyone has different need.

Red_Cheesepie

Master Member
Reaction score
I actually meant the ipad is lacking flash while Surface has full support.
I already played with the whitelist...no biggie, if you can handle the text editor.. ;-)
Actually I had to add this *cough* website here to make videos embedded in the posts work :D

I wna try the whitelist thing, just follow the instructions given at XDA should be fine yea? any do you need to re-enter it whenever you reboot your surface or they will remember the updated whitelist?

Twisticles

Reaction score
I wna try the whitelist thing, just follow the instructions given at XDA should be fine yea? any do you need to re-enter it whenever you reboot your surface or they will remember the updated whitelist?

If you follow the instructions, the first task is to disable auto-update of the whitelist.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
The new Clovertrail dual-core Atoms with Hyperthreading is very decent if you need it for entertainment & some work. Obviously if work is compiling in VS, then Atoms will leave you frustrated but for many people, including students, businessmen, housewife & retirees who don't need the power, Atom is much faster than Win RT on Tegra 3. Maybe Win RT on Qualcomm will be faster than Atom but I doubt it.

Atoms are usually used in larger tablets so it can accommodate a larger battery hence longer battery life. All things considered the Clovertrail Atom SoC uses around 10W TDP which is still more than ARM based CPU but I'd gladly use it because it also come bundled with a more powerful GPU compared to most ARM platforms.

Intel also recently bought the GPU/MPU division from Creative to bolster the Intel GMA Media & 3D capabilities.

For me, it's straight forward, Core i5 speed is addictive. I'd sacrifice battery for speed any day. Estimated 6 hours usage in Surface Pro is still very good!

snakey256

Reaction score
The new Clovertrail dual-core Atoms with Hyperthreading is very decent if you need it for entertainment & some work. Obviously if work is compiling in VS, then Atoms will leave you frustrated but for many people, including students, businessmen, housewife & retirees who don't need the power, Atom is much faster than Win RT on Tegra 3. Maybe Win RT on Qualcomm will be faster than Atom but I doubt it.

Atoms are usually used in larger tablets so it can accommodate a larger battery hence longer battery life. All things considered the Clovertrail Atom SoC uses around 10W TDP which is still more than ARM based CPU but I'd gladly use it because it also come bundled with a more powerful GPU compared to most ARM platforms.

Intel also recently bought the GPU/MPU division from Creative to bolster the Intel GMA Media & 3D capabilities.

For me, it's straight forward, Core i5 speed is addictive. I'd sacrifice battery for speed any day. Estimated 6 hours usage in Surface Pro is still very good!

student like me using VS 2010 for programming is a must to get i core processor. now waiting for surface pro to be out.

phazer89

Reaction score
Can't seem to find any posts on it, so... I know it's not out officially yet but are there any shops here selling imported sets and/or have demo sets available? More interested in Surface Pro but since it'll take forever I want to play around with RT first.

ashhong

Reaction score

agree, speed is top priority for me. irony, i am still using C2D

Can't seem to find any posts on it, so... I know it's not out officially yet but are there any shops here selling imported sets and/or have demo sets available? More interested in Surface Pro but since it'll take forever I want to play around with RT first.

maybe SLS has them? hasn't been there for a long time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.