Microsoft Surface

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea, battery life would be the main consideration here.

Performance wise shouldn't this perform comparably to other i5 ultrabooks.
We won't know till it has been released. Maybe they made some adjustments to cater to battery life? Who knows? :D

phazer89

Reaction score
If it's really 4hrs active usage then still not bad, comparing to ultrabooks of course.

But still, you won't be using it much as a tablet, unless the standby life is really tokkong, which I doubt.

Closer to 5 hours actually, Surface RT lasted 9:36 on Engadget's video playback test. 50% of that is 4.8 hours, which I think is comparable to Air? Local pricing aside, when they're going to release it here is another question. :s13:

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Closer to 5 hours actually, Surface RT lasted 9:36 on Engadget's video playback test. 50% of that is 4.8 hours, which I think is comparable to Air? Local pricing aside, when they're going to release it here is another question. :s13:
I'm leaning closer to 4 or less....sales talk can't really be trusted much. :D

And we're not going to be using it purely as a video player. :(

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
unbelievable freaking high pricing....
add on the type or touch cover and it exceeds the $1.1k usd...

almost all webbie out there is saying the price is simply too high... n i agree with them.... not sure on what basis some ppl here say the price is good...

of course, i know $$$ is relative... lich ppl dun care about the diff between 1k and 2k.

not sure what ppl at ms is thinking... do they want the product to fail?

as of now, their surface rt is already not doing well, they do not even dare to mention surface sales...

i really hope ms ppl wake up their ideas and reduce the pricing for the RT and pro....

sunshine76

Reaction score
Iam selling the Surface RT 32GB with black Touch cover for S$900. please PM me if interested.

thanks

Evilmerlin

Reaction score

almost all webbie out there is saying the price is simply too high... n i agree with them.... not sure on what basis some ppl here say the price is good...

of course, i know $$$ is relative... lich ppl dun care about the diff between 1k and 2k.

as of now, their surface rt is already not doing well, they do not even dare to mention surface sales...

i really hope ms ppl wake up their ideas and reduce the pricing for the RT and pro....
Is it really too high? Please remember that it's running a Core I5 processor and full Windows 8. Not a mobile processor like Tegra 3 and Windows RT.

More power, more memory, higher resolution screen and full Win8 Pro. On top of all that, it includes a digitizer, not some simple rubber nib pen. A digitizer. Of course it's going to be more expensive. Are people seriously expecting tablet prices for laptop specs?!

Beetho Ng

Reaction score
Price is not high if they had launched this well b4 iPads and alikes. If Surface is to help them to have a foothold in the tablet market, then it's high. I was a reluctant iPad user a while back bcos there wasnt any windows alternative at that time. Imagine now I rely on iPad everyday for work and leisure. I definitely hope Surface can do well so there will be incentive for them to put in more money and effort to continue their development. But for now, having accustomed to iOS and idevices, its unlikely for me to switch unless there is really some attractive offer or tech breakthrough.

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
surface pro is more powerful than my 5yr old $3000 sony vaio... :crazy:

with type cover and an external hdd, it'll be a good replacement for my notebook.... :o

deathscthe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

u see microsoft is pricing the surface pro to compete against the ultrabooks while trying not to kill its hardware partners such as asus, lenovo, hp, etc. whereas the surface RT is priced to directly compete with the ipad.

all in all, pls rmb that microsoft is still a software company at heart and has to help it's hardware partners and not kill them off by pricing their stuff cheaper. the surface is kinda like a model for their hardware partners to take reference from.

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pro only 4gb ram, wonder can upgrade to increase it.

hmmm...looking at the RT, it seems the set is built very very compact. not sure ram is self upgradeable or not. i think very slim chance.

continuum

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but I think the pricing could be a little more aggressive.

Firstly, the battery life is likely to be around 4 - 5 hours based on this report: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet

And then it does not include the Type Cover, which costs an additional US$129.99.

Sure, Surface Pro is a unique device which is very versatile. But I think they should at least bundle the Type Cover at that price.

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try playing cd or ripping one lol...

lol...i've not touched my cd/dvd drive for don't know how long...
my current laptop also no drive.
if i need, then i plug in my external one, after that it's going back to the drawer again.

phazer89

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but I think the pricing could be a little more aggressive.

Firstly, the battery life is likely to be around 4 - 5 hours based on this report: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet

And then it does not include the Type Cover, which costs an additional US$129.99.

Sure, Surface Pro is a unique device which is very versatile. But I think they should at least bundle the Type Cover at that price.

Sure, they could've priced it lower (same for Surface RT), but that'll just worsen their relationship with OEM partners, and that wouldn't be worth it in the long term. Right now it's mostly just Acer making a big fuss but if they made Surface Pro cheaper even bigger companies like Dell and HP aren't going to be too pleased. Perhaps by the time it comes out the price of Windows 8 ultrabooks would've dropped, and Microsoft would follow suit too? Who knows.

lol...i've not touched my cd/dvd drive for don't know how long...
my current laptop also no drive.
if i need, then i plug in my external one, after that it's going back to the drawer again.

Yeah I decided to include a Blu-ray player in my laptop for whatever reason 2-3 years ago, until now I haven't even used it to play a BD. Haven't put in a DVD/CD in ages either.

Hopefully we'll see more accessories along with the Surface Pro, like keyboard + battery docks... :D

Last edited:

sukhoi37

Reaction score

surface pro is designed to compete with ultrabook and macbook air.
the OS is windows 8, which means you can do a lot more things than any typical tablet on the market.
it can run .exe files, autocad, photoshop, dota2, and etc which you would nv expect it will happen on ipad or android tablets.

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure, they could've priced it lower (same for Surface RT), but that'll just worsen their relationship with OEM partners, and that wouldn't be worth it in the long term. Right now it's mostly just Acer making a big fuss but if they made Surface Pro cheaper even bigger companies like Dell and HP aren't going to be too pleased. Perhaps by the time it comes out the price of Windows 8 ultrabooks would've dropped, and Microsoft would follow suit too? Who knows.

Yeah I decided to include a Blu-ray player in my laptop for whatever reason 2-3 years ago, until now I haven't even used it to play a BD. Haven't put in a DVD/CD in ages either.

Hopefully we'll see more accessories along with the Surface Pro, like keyboard + battery docks... :D

yup, a battery/keyboard dock for using at home/office.
then the type/touch covers can use outdoors.

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
surface pro is designed to compete with ultrabook and macbook air.
the OS is windows 8, which means you can do a lot more things than any typical tablet on the market.
it can run .exe files, autocad, photoshop, dota2, and etc which you would nv expect it will happen on ipad or android tablets.

but talking about running these applications...
i'm a little apprehensive, as we all know autocad/photoshops can be pretty resource intensive even on desktops.

even my lousy i5 ultrabook had problem when coding or running emulators on the default 2gb ram with some other background applications. it was already running at 90+ %. in the end i upgraded the ram to 8gb and everything was smooth.

so if the pro comes as announced at 4gb, that may not be enough or maybe JUST only.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.