iPad Mini - Issue

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Similar problem encountered. Currently I am on 200mb Singtel Firbre Optic. Today just received my Ipad mini (16gb wifi+cellular) and once I started using it, I noticed the loading speed when connecting to appstore was so much slower. Tried downloading afew apps, the download speed and installation was pathetic. Tested the download speed with speedtest, managed to get 20-30 mbps without fail. With the network speed I'm getting, didn't expect the download and installation to be so slow, can feel the lagness. I am pretty sure it is either the device/hardware issue.

Initially I thought it could be my network problem, but I tried downloading apps with my Ipad 2 and there is not issue with it. Even tried using the speedtest on both Ipad 2 and Galaxy Note 2, download speed can easily reach 30-40 mbps.

Let me make a guess, you are using Google DNS. If I'm right, then go use the OpenDNS or your own ISP DNS.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about it. How do I go about identifying if I am using Google DNS or ?

Check that your WIFI DNS settings in your iOS device is not either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
If you are using DHCP, check that your router/DHCP server is not assigning either of these 2 IP address as DNS server to your iOS device.

If you can't be sure, try manually set the DNS server(s) temporary to either 208.67.222.222 and/or 208.67.220.220 and see if the problem is resolved. I can't be sure if SingTel is indirectly resolving thru Google DNS or suffering from the same issue as Google DNS

wadeverwadever

Reaction score
Check that your WIFI DNS settings in your iOS device is not either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
If you are using DHCP, check that your router/DHCP server is not assigning either of these 2 IP address as DNS server to your iOS device.

If you can't be sure, try manually set the DNS server(s) temporary to either 208.67.222.222 and/or 208.67.220.220 and see if the problem is resolved. I can't be sure if SingTel is indirectly resolving thru Google DNS or suffering from the same issue as Google DNS

My iOS device is currently using DHCP, but the WIFI DNS setting is not 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 but 1xx.1xx.x.xxx

I've check my router DHCP server and the IP address is the same as what it is indicated on my WIFI DNS setting.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My iOS device is currently using DHCP, but the WIFI DNS setting is not 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 but 1xx.1xx.x.xxx

I've check my router DHCP server and the IP address is the same as what it is indicated on my WIFI DNS setting.

Okay, it will be rather hard for me to tell you how to check at the low level. Basically Apple Appstore will use ax.init.itunes.apple.com domain for downloading the contents. This is a CNAME to the Akamai's CDN edge servers.

If you can perform a simple nslookup or "dig" on ax.init.itunes.apple.com and it resolved to Singapore ip addresses, which you can check using What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more..., then most likely your problem is not related to DNS resolution issue.

If it resolve the domain name to somewhere in USA or Japan or anywhere non-local, then it is the reason why you experience extremely slow download.

Code:
Unix:
    dig ax.init.itunes.apple.com

Wndows:
   C:\> nslookup
   Default Server:  XXXXXXXXX
   Address:  X.X.X.X

> ax.init.itunes.apple.com
   > ...... DNS ANSWER .....

Give me your DNS ip address and see if I can do a check for you

Like I say, temporary set to OpenDNS and see if it resolve the problem for you.

Last edited:

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
Charge my IPad mini LTE with both 5W charger from package and iPhone with no issue.

kaiser_7

Reaction score
my mini can only charge up to 93% max using the supplied charger :( will try to drain out the batt and re-charge..

gdspd8

Reaction score
Hi, I think I owe some answer to some forum friends here. I did not call the tech support anymore. I gave a real last shot. I bring the two 5W charger that cannot charge fully, to my office to charge. For the last 5 days, no matter what battery percentage my iPad mini is, it can simply charge to 100%!! My conclusion can be three factors. The temperature in my office is rather cold. So the charger will not be that hot. Secondly is that I keep charging it with my iPad 12W charger before I decided to give a try in my office. Thirdly maybe the default power point in my room got issue. Now the last thing I could try is to switch to other power outlet in my house to charge, using the original charger.

tormont

Reaction score
Hi, I think I owe some answer to some forum friends here. I did not call the tech support anymore. I gave a real last shot. I bring the two 5W charger that cannot charge fully, to my office to charge. For the last 5 days, no matter what battery percentage my iPad mini is, it can simply charge to 100%!! My conclusion can be three factors. The temperature in my office is rather cold. So the charger will not be that hot. Secondly is that I keep charging it with my iPad 12W charger before I decided to give a try in my office. Thirdly maybe the default power point in my room got issue. Now the last thing I could try is to switch to other power outlet in my house to charge, using the original charger.

Highly likely it is due to the temperature problem.

rmam

Reaction score
The very first time I charged it... show 89%.. I reboot showed 93%...I draining it out now... gonna do a full re-charge...

same here. mine was showing 90% and after reboot shows 94%.
should we call Apple Support about this issue?

DQUEK123

Reaction score
same here. mine was showing 90% and after reboot shows 94%.
should we call Apple Support about this issue?

Have you guys gone thru the battery full cycle charging for a few times? Try to do that and it should revert to normal.

kaiser_7

Reaction score
Gonna try.. will update status.

Another issues which I encountered, is the black line on the screen when I zoomed in safari browswer, I read apple forums state to clear cache and it works.. but can be quite irritating at time... haha

rmam

Reaction score
Have you guys gone thru the battery full cycle charging for a few times? Try to do that and it should revert to normal.

this is my 2nd time charging and i only charge when it is less than 5%. Will try more cycle.

gdspd8

Reaction score

I went thru full battery calibration mode for 4 times, by draining the battery until ipad mini cannot even boot up, and charge all the way...still kana stuck at 90%. I call Apple and they keep insist it is software issue and want me to hard reset and also refresh OS. I fed up bring to my office to charge instead. No problem so far charging in office. Maybe really be the temperature issue. But why for those who have this issue always stuck at 89% - 90% one? Cannot be so jun temerature reach max at these two points mah...

DQUEK123

Reaction score
I went thru full battery calibration mode for 4 times, by draining the battery until ipad mini cannot even boot up, and charge all the way...still kana stuck at 90%. I call Apple and they keep insist it is software issue and want me to hard reset and also refresh OS. I fed up bring to my office to charge instead. No problem so far charging in office. Maybe really be the temperature issue. But why for those who have this issue always stuck at 89% - 90% one? Cannot be so jun temerature reach max at these two points mah...

If you done that and you should be returning it. Sound like a hardware issue.

N_RIDER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unboxed and i never use the 5w charger. All along using ipad 2 charger. No issue and always able to charge to 100%.
Strangely, this morning plugged in and charged my mini(32gb celluar)that read at 83% in car. Using those gmarket purchased 12v usb chargers that come with 2.1A and 1A port. The 83% maintained at 83% despite 20mins of traveling, despite showing thunder sign(not not charging) and i am certain i am using the 2.1A port that meant for ipad.
Unplugged from 12v car charger and plug in again. This time round able to charge and when i alighted from my car after about 30mins drive, the batt reads at 98%.
My wild thinking, is theret a chip or regulator in the mini to detect new charging source? And the chip wil deter charging within the grace period and eventually accept it...funny..

Note:using original sync cable.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.