HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

ShinigamiX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They only allow town check-in for airlines that have this service. If your airline is not one of the listed ones, then it's a no-go even if you are willing to pay for it.

Most full-serviced airlines have leh, even budget carrier like Jetstar also have. Which airline are you travelling with?

serious? jetstar le... but i culdnt find any details online.

any link?

xXboxXx

Reaction score
Eaton Smart Hotel is nearer to Jordan MTR than YMT and there is a Tsui Wah(very good eatery) just opposite the hotel.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
how's the weather like in HK now? is it still raining daily??

It was raining for almost the entire week last week (first week of December), before it became sunny on Thurs onwards.

This week's forecast seems to be a mix of sunny/rainy days... Their rain don't come pouring down. It's just slight (to sometimes heavy) drizzle for most parts of the day... but an umbrella is still necessary unless you prefer raincoat.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
cool! an outlet mall! time to save up more money to shop!
where is the dim sum that we must try out? was trying to google and there are way too many choices lol:s22:

Their outlet mall isn't really cheap compared to their US counterparts, but definitely more things to look at compared to JPO. =:p

For me, I would feel that there's no particular dimsum place that any tourist die die should try. If you want to join in the hype, can go Tim Ho Wan. One Michelin star dimsum with cheap price. I've never been there to eat despite the hype because there have been many reviews that not everything is nice. The queue would always be long in the morning, with you having to wait one or two hours to be seated. They will give you a number and you can go walk around before heading back to the shop.

The queue already puts me off. I'll rather go to some local laid back dimsum place with old ah peks and ah maps reading newspaper while having their breakfast. :(

Almost all their dim sum shops or yum cha restaurants have their hits and misses, like this restaurant has fantastic siew mai, but that shop's har gow is better, etc, so its really up to you to explore around and try bits of everything everywhere if you think it looks good to you.

If you are staying in the Kowloon side, I recommend you try the Nathan congee and noodles shop at least once. At Saigon street, just right opposite Novotel Nathan's entrance. Their congee and you tiao damm nice...

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tim Ho Wan I only like the char siew baos. The rest of the stuff so so only and very oily. If you go to the outlet at IFC at odd timings (eg. 3pm), you don't have to queue. For me, I still prefer Lin Heung. Not so much for the food, but for the nostalgia :o

If you don't mind splurging, the dim sum at Lung King Heen @ 4 Seasons (3 Michelin stars) has alot more hits than misses. And their ala carte dishes are excellent too (ie. lobster fried rice). But we spent about SGD 150 for a 2 pax dim sum/ala carte lunch the last time round so it definitely isn't cheap.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The Tao Heung on third fl of the building in between Nathan Hotel and Eaton Smart has very nice siew mai. One fat prawn on top of each siew mai (with more inside the filling). :love: The chinese restaurant at Ngong Ping 360 village has one of the nicest hargow ever (very very thin skin and chokeful of fresh, crunchy, fat, juicy prawns inside...). Still can't find super nice custard buns... Never mind, I'll continue my search for them next year when I go again. :s13:

albertoremi

Reaction score
Their outlet mall isn't really cheap compared to their US counterparts, but definitely more things to look at compared to JPO. =:p

For me, I would feel that there's no particular dimsum place that any tourist die die should try. If you want to join in the hype, can go Tim Ho Wan. One Michelin star dimsum with cheap price. I've never been there to eat despite the hype because there have been many reviews that not everything is nice. The queue would always be long in the morning, with you having to wait one or two hours to be seated. They will give you a number and you can go walk around before heading back to the shop.

The queue already puts me off. I'll rather go to some local laid back dimsum place with old ah peks and ah maps reading newspaper while having their breakfast. :(

Almost all their dim sum shops or yum cha restaurants have their hits and misses, like this restaurant has fantastic siew mai, but that shop's har gow is better, etc, so its really up to you to explore around and try bits of everything everywhere if you think it looks good to you.

If you are staying in the Kowloon side, I recommend you try the Nathan congee and noodles shop at least once. At Saigon street, just right opposite Novotel Nathan's entrance. Their congee and you tiao damm nice...

omg thank you for your detailed reply *thumbs up*..very helpful! hv u been to HK for many times? you seem like an expert already haha..meanwhile i'll try to explore other makan place and attractions..trying to plan the trip haha!:s13:

Last edited:

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
omg thank you for your detailed reply *thumbs up*..very helpful! hv u been to HK for many times? you seem like an expert already haha..meanwhile i'll try to explore other makan place and attractions..trying to plan the trip haha!:s13:

No prob~ :o No la I not expert... I just make it a point to try and visit HK at least once every year... for some reason I like HK a lot. Maybe coz it's easy to get around everywhere, no need to ask pple for directions (I don't speak Cantonese, btw). Food there although slightly more expensive than SG (one yang zhou fried rice can easily cost HKD45 in a random looks-rundown cha chan ting in TST, one cup of their HK style milk tea is easily HKD15), suits my tastebuds, and I love their cooling weather at the end of the year.

Initially when I first went to HK, I also tried to scour for food recommendations on the Internet, even wrote down everything (locations/directions/etc) on paper. In the end when I was there, I didn't really go try everything on that list... instead, I popped into random eateries and anyhow order... and turned out that no matter where I went or what I ordered, their food always taste better than what I can get here! :s13:

I still haven't explore much of HK Island (like Wan Chai, Kennedy Town, etc)... so I'm still planning a few more trips there in the coming years... =:p

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tim Ho Wan quality is uneven across their outlets. A HK friend advise giving the IFC a miss. I tried the Sham Shui Po which is average but cheap. 3 persons for < HK$120. Didn't try Mongkok.

Agree with Ruriel there's good food to be found everywhere. Restaurants there won't survive if their food isn't decent. There's so many eating places it's impossible to cover even a tiny number.

I don't like to go Central for lunch because of the crowds. Lin Heung for dinner is good even though they are still full! Their duck is good as its ordered by almost table. Lin Heung doesn't take reservations.

Good roast goose isn't found only in Yung Kee. Lots of restaurants offer good roast goose at lower prices. There's one in Jordan which is Michelin starred that I like.

albertoremi

Reaction score
@Ruriel: you make me wana go HK forever more haha! any dim sum that's decent enough will do for me..currently Tim ho wan, lei garden and kam wah cafe are on my list as they are not too far from other attractions:D

btw ppl, i came across this website just now..find the map useful as it shows the tourist spots near where u wan to go and can add it to your itinerary..may help in trip planning haha:s13:

qiito.com/asia/hong-kong-hdrf

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Ruriel: you make me wana go HK forever more haha! any dim sum that's decent enough will do for me..currently Tim ho wan, lei garden and kam wah cafe are on my list as they are not too far from other attractions:D

btw ppl, i came across this website just now..find the map useful as it shows the tourist spots near where u wan to go and can add it to your itinerary..may help in trip planning haha:s13:

qiito.com/asia/hong-kong-hdrf

Lei Garden serves better ala carte dishes than dim sum imho. But not cheap. If you like the traditional peking duck, Shatin 18's duck is regarded as one of the, if not THE best peking duck in HK, as confirmed by alot of my friends in HK. And you have to make a reservation for it :o

albertoremi

Reaction score
Lei Garden serves better ala carte dishes than dim sum imho. But not cheap. If you like the traditional peking duck, Shatin 18's duck is regarded as one of the, if not THE best peking duck in HK, as confirmed by alot of my friends in HK. And you have to make a reservation for it :o

thanks for your info!:) any idea how many days(minimum) we have to make the reservation in advance? it seems quite far off

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for your info!:) any idea how many days(minimum) we have to make the reservation in advance? it seems quite far off

Ya its at Hyatt Regency Shatin (next to University MTR). If you are going for <5 days, might not be a good idea to go try unless you wanna check out the turf club at the same time :o Reservations probably a couple of days in advance :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.