EDMW Knife Collectors

nilfire77

Reaction score
What a tease! C'mon show la! :s12:

For all you flipper fans... The Hinderer XM-24 Spanto Flipper...
IMG_0007_zps44ebecb8.jpg

IMG_0008_zps15ccf248.jpg

IMG_0009_zps1adf84bc.jpg

IMG_0010_zps6723ddb5.jpg

IMG_0011_zps5f0e5f78.jpg

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
where can get ceramic knife?Is ceramic knife strong enough to cut bone?

i dunno if you can find liao but i bought a forever ceramic folder :D

IMG_0760.jpg

cannot cut bone lar sadly.
all ceramic knife is brittle. the edge will ding if you hit something hard.

but for slicing it is ******* BRILLIANT.

and ya, no need to sharpen for quite long unless you are an expert in making things spoil.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
For all you flipper fans... The Hinderer XM-24 Spanto Flipper...
IMG_0007_zps44ebecb8.jpg

IMG_0008_zps15ccf248.jpg

IMG_0009_zps1adf84bc.jpg

IMG_0010_zps6723ddb5.jpg

IMG_0011_zps5f0e5f78.jpg

you must have special connections with Hinderer to score that directly - congrats! ;) Is that a 24 or 18? I'm not sure if the steel designation logo is to my taste yet....I like them more subtle.

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i collect only kitchen knives. can use regularly sibei song.

this yr bought 2 in japan. one machine made (cheaper, sub $100) and one hand made (expensive). the hand made one bloody sharp cut onions and garlic almost no sound. i get the maker to inscribe my chinese name on it.

accidentally cut myself 2 days ago without noticing. the knife lying on the chopping board my hand touch only kena one cut. see the blood on the garlic then realised. i sharpen them once a month usually. just a few quick swipes. the hand made knife sharpened by the shop and no need sharpening till now. my maid dun dare to use it as it is too sharp.

nilfire77

Reaction score
you must have special connections with Hinderer to score that directly - congrats! ;) Is that a 24 or 18? I'm not sure if the steel designation logo is to my taste yet....I like them more subtle.

LOL nope I don't have any special relations with Rick.. I just happened to chance upon this XM-24 at bladeforums exchange.. Before this, I actually had an opportunity to snare the older version XM-24(i.e just the plain jane S35VN engraving), but because I already had the sterile blades (both 20CV) on my XM-18s, so I wanted something different this time round. :)

Sonic69

Reaction score
Was just telling another BM recently that my taste seems to be moving into the smaller (3") EDCs.

Sonic69

Reaction score
I'm bored at home so here's a couple of First Impressions about my recent shipment from Knifecenter.

(also to boost my Post count towards that damned 100 before I can start posting pix. albeit crappy ones)

Sonic69

Reaction score
First up is the Kershaw Zing!

All stainless scales and framelock design with a black plastic back spacer. Yup, first impression was that this is certainly an Entry Level knife from Kershaw. There was something 'crooked' about the knife. The front and back scales doesn't quite line up symmetrically with the space. The front scale is marginally lower than the back. It is not obvious but can be noticed with the naked eye upon inspection. Also, the blade did not come centred, which surprisingly annoyed me considerably (and here I thought I was a chin-chye kinda guy). A quick tweak with my new set of Torx drivers (#8) on the pivot screw quickly solved that problem.
The scales and blade came Satin finished which I like. There is a uniform look about the knife and a pleasing aesthetic quality. The metal scales are smooth but not slippery (just don't get any lubricant on them). I'm sure over time and use it will develop character (read 'dings') that will be glaringly obvious, but this knife was bought as a user and at this price point I'm not going to resist abusing it.
The blade is 8Cr13MoV (same as my Spyderco Tenacious) but unlike the Spydie, it did not come razor sharp from the factory. It was only so so. A quick sharpen on my new Naniwa Super Stone 1000 grit quickly highlighted an interesting thing - the blade was sharpened at greater than 25 degree angle of incidence. What?!!! I'm not in the mood to rectify this yet so I just finished it with my 3000 grit and stropped it with my DLT strop with Bark River White Compound (12k grit) for a mirror finish. It cuts ok now but I will have to go down to my 400 grit and reprofile the edge one day.
The flipper works a treat. This was a big factor for me buying this knife. I wanted to try out Kershaw/Zero Tolerance's SpeedSafe assisted opening. I can say definitively that I love it! The thumb studs aren't worth a damn however. The ergonomics are all wrong and they don't even act as the stop pin in the open position, so they are redundant like tits on a bull. I have been reluctant to buy an assisted knife without thumb studs before, but after the Zing, I'm open to it. The flipper and SpeedSafe are really nice!
Not much to say about it. Overall, I'm happy with the Zing for the price. After I reprofile the edge I'll see if it will cut as well as my Tenacious.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
i collect only kitchen knives. can use regularly sibei song.

this yr bought 2 in japan. one machine made (cheaper, sub $100) and one hand made (expensive). the hand made one bloody sharp cut onions and garlic almost no sound. i get the maker to inscribe my chinese name on it.

accidentally cut myself 2 days ago without noticing. the knife lying on the chopping board my hand touch only kena one cut. see the blood on the garlic then realised. i sharpen them once a month usually. just a few quick swipes. the hand made knife sharpened by the shop and no need sharpening till now. my maid dun dare to use it as it is too sharp.

I love reading this. I haven't been able to get knives too scary sharp yet:(. Need to hone the sharpening fu more :)

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
the only knife I've taken extra caution when handling was a huge 12 inch chopper with a really scary sharp edge (the weight made it extra lethal as if it rested on your flesh, there would be a fair bit of pressure that could break skin). That blade did do nice clean cuts on branches :s13:

nilfire77

Reaction score
First up is the Kershaw Zing!

All stainless scales and framelock design with a black plastic back spacer. Yup, first impression was that this is certainly an Entry Level knife from Kershaw. There was something 'crooked' about the knife. The front and back scales doesn't quite line up symmetrically with the space. The front scale is marginally lower than the back. It is not obvious but can be noticed with the naked eye upon inspection. Also, the blade did not come centred, which surprisingly annoyed me considerably (and here I thought I was a chin-chye kinda guy). A quick tweak with my new set of Torx drivers (#8) on the pivot screw quickly solved that problem.
The scales and blade came Satin finished which I like. There is a uniform look about the knife and a pleasing aesthetic quality. The metal scales are smooth but not slippery (just don't get any lubricant on them). I'm sure over time and use it will develop character (read 'dings') that will be glaringly obvious, but this knife was bought as a user and at this price point I'm not going to resist abusing it.
The blade is 8Cr13MoV (same as my Spyderco Tenacious) but unlike the Spydie, it did not come razor sharp from the factory. It was only so so. A quick sharpen on my new Naniwa Super Stone 1000 grit quickly highlighted an interesting thing - the blade was sharpened at greater than 25 degree angle of incidence. What?!!! I'm not in the mood to rectify this yet so I just finished it with my 3000 grit and stropped it with my DLT strop with Bark River White Compound (12k grit) for a mirror finish. It cuts ok now but I will have to go down to my 400 grit and reprofile the edge one day.
The flipper works a treat. This was a big factor for me buying this knife. I wanted to try out Kershaw/Zero Tolerance's SpeedSafe assisted opening. I can say definitively that I love it! The thumb studs aren't worth a damn however. The ergonomics are all wrong and they don't even act as the stop pin in the open position, so they are redundant like tits on a bull. I have been reluctant to buy an assisted knife without thumb studs before, but after the Zing, I'm open to it. The flipper and SpeedSafe are really nice!
Not much to say about it. Overall, I'm happy with the Zing for the price. After I reprofile the edge I'll see if it will cut as well as my Tenacious.

The only Kershaw/ZT knife I have is the ZT303.. Love it a lot!!! The only gripe I have is that it doesn't have a detent ball on the lockbar, and that means I can't convert it into a manual folder by removing the torsion spring... that sux.. lol

Sonic69

Reaction score
The only Kershaw/ZT knife I have is the ZT303.. Love it a lot!!! The only gripe I have is that it doesn't have a detent ball on the lockbar, and that means I can't convert it into a manual folder by removing the torsion spring... that sux.. lol

You don't like the Speedsafe assisted opening? I like it quite a bit. I got a ZT300 Blemish on its way to me (this was my first mistake of trying to get Borderlinx to forward to me). It's now with my friend's mum in law in US trying to find its way to him in KL before I can get my hands on it. It's traveling companion is a Benchmade Rift (used) that I got for cheap from blade forum.

If u ever remove the torsion spring, can u document it in pix. Should be interesting. I'm scared to open my Zing just in case I can't figure out how to put it all back together.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
The torsion bar is like a paper clip. No problem putting it back. You'll be unimpressed:p, bur without a deyent you can't convert since the spring acts as the detent

nilfire77

Reaction score
You don't like the Speedsafe assisted opening? I like it quite a bit. I got a ZT300 Blemish on its way to me (this was my first mistake of trying to get Borderlinx to forward to me). It's now with my friend's mum in law in US trying to find its way to him in KL before I can get my hands on it. It's traveling companion is a Benchmade Rift (used) that I got for cheap from blade forum.

If u ever remove the torsion spring, can u document it in pix. Should be interesting. I'm scared to open my Zing just in case I can't figure out how to put it all back together.

It's not that I don't like the speedsafe, just that I've heard too many stories of torsion bars snapping like twigs. So I was thinking, at least if there's a detent ball on the lockbar, the knife is still functional in case the torsion bar goes kaput..

Sonic69

Reaction score
Well, I finally reprofiled my Kershaw Zing today and had a chance to play with my Naniwa Super Stones. Did a little test with my digital level gauge and the factory edge was done at >35 deg. Duh!
Anyway, after about 1 hour plus work going, I have it sharp, but not scary sharp. I think my re-beveling stage at 400 grit was too rushed. I didn't really get a burr on both side before moving on to the #1000. I was scared of removing too much metal and 'ruining' the blade. Looks like I will have to do a little bit more work before I have it as sharp as my Spyderco.
After my sharpening, I decided open up the knife to clean it and look at the Speedsafe. Vespaguy, you're right its not that complicated but I did make sure to take pix as I went along so that I did not forget how everything goes back together. And believe me, I did have to refer to the photos to put it all back. Guess what? When I opened it up, I found a flaw with my knife. On the front scale under the pivot screw, when they countersunk the scale so that the pivot screw will be more flush, the scale wasn't formed correctly so that about 1/3 around the countersink, the metal was actually removed leaving a gap. I took a picture but I don't think I can post it yet (due to the damn 100 post rule). So the pivot screw is only securing 2/3 of the metal around it. I don't think this will be a problem unless I really put it through some hard use. For the price, I'm not going to raise a stink about it. It goes to show that sometimes the only way to truly get to know your knife is to open it up.
Anyway, it got put back together and lubed and ready to EDC again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.