Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

acchien

Reaction score
Hi all
I am more or less decided on the Daikin 3mkd75 + ftkd25 x 2 + ftkd50. (Thanks to terumo for his frequent and useful sharing on this site!)

Any recommendation for a reliable dealer with good after sales service and good installation quality? I am installing the unit at my existing house so peace of mind is more important than getting the lowest price. Really would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help

Hi terumo,

Currently using a mitsubishi non-inverter system 3 air con. Model is MSXY-09SV with R22 refridgerant for almost 10 years for 3 bedroom in a 4 room HDB.

Currently 2 bedroom not cold liao, only normal air come out, but 1 bedroom still as normal quite cold. Did ask some air con men to come and clean, but still can't find the problem.

Anyway, since 10 years already, might as well replace. What options do I have? I don't mind getting another Starmex, as i find they are quite reliable. Panasonic also quite value for money but I read of some case where people complain the outdoor unit is very noisy.

Also, I intend to use back my original pipings, but if i buy new one with R410a refridgerant, can it work with my existing pipes? or need to change pipings?

Lastly, can provide some recommendation on what to buy with a budget of $3k for System 3 with inverter? Where should I buy it from also? Courts? Gain City? Harvey Norman? Best? I quite scared installer do a lousy job as I have read many horror stories...

Thanks in advance. ;)

terumo

Reaction score
To Modie,
I think ur Mit non inv have 2 compressor.
1 for the master room, the other for the other 2 rooms.
I think the second compressor is faulty or low on gas thus the 2 units are not cold.

If possible, replace your piping as well. Cos if ur pipes are leaking, installing a new aircon system will not solve the problem.

AN_9400

Reaction score
To bro mobster,

If ur piping is in good condition , (no gas top up/water condensation issues) then u can use back the pipes.
Any feedback from your regular serviceman?

Hi Terumo,

There is no different piping requires for R22 or R410? My Fuji gone case, which i need to change the units only....and no need piping? it is about 8 years old.

Thanks.

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Fujitsu System 3 Inverter from Courts. Hope its as good as my old Starmex non-inverter.

Price came with all pipings and 5 year extended warranty...

The_King

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi terumo,

can i know what is your view on Mitsubishi Heavy Industries?

i am comparing Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Panasonic.

thanks a lot

terumo

Reaction score
Piping if there is no leaking (gas) and water condensation issues, i feel that you can use back.

MHI n Panasonic, I prefer Panasonic in terms of price/quality.

The_King

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

i will get the Panasonic since almost all system 2 inverter are almost around 2k to 2.2k

alantcy

Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can comment about my problem.

I just replaced my Mit System3 (aft 6yrs) with a Daikin 3MKS71ESG & 3 FTKS25DVM 9k FCUs yesterday.

In both systems, i opted for R410a and Inverter models.
As such i believe the performance should be similar.

However, i was running the unit the whole of last night, my wife and I noticed that the air wasn't as cool as our old Mit.
I placed my hand infront of the blower, while the wind felt cool, it did not feel the same.

We tried to set the same operating temp - 24 and 3fans.
Closed the door for an hour before going in.
With my old Mit, i would get a gush of cold air as i open the door. With the Daikin, i dont get such an effect.
This morning, we really felt the room wasn't as cold as it should be after a night.

Thus im now trying to get my installer to troubleshoot the problem, to see if there is a leakage that cause the compressor not able to run fullspeed? or someother causes...?
The tech told me that if there was a leakage, the Daikin unit would blink, however mine did not.
Im reluctant to set the temp to below 24 as i always been using 24-25 which was good enough, might be wasting electricity in the long run if i set lower just to compensate.

I understand cool sensation is subjective - but i just want some hardproof results to show that the new unit is working properly.

Does anybody know how i can verify this with the installer?

Thanks!

terumo

Reaction score
To alantcy,

Get Daikin to come and check since its under warranty.
Actually, i believe your new system is in normal working condition, the reason why you don't feel as cold as before is due to the Daikin unit is new thus better efficiency, once reach 24 degrees, compressor runs @ low speed/part load or cut off.

Actually 24-25 is not very cold, just a comfortable temp for us to sleep.
For the feeling of coldness, i think a temp setting of 21-23 will be able to give you that kind of feeling.

alantcy

Reaction score
Hi terumo, thanks for your reply.

So i managed to get the installer to come back and check.
They showed me that the system's total current is 8.4A indicated on the outdoor panel. So when we turn on 1unit, the ampere reading was 2.96ish. We then turn on all 3 units and the amp reading climbed to 8 sometimes hitting 9A.

The R410a pressure was 120psi when we started the 1st unit then slowly climb to around 148psi after we turned on all 3 fcus.

He then used a laser pointer temperature reader to check the
FCU temp. At 24 setting, the temp measured started at 23 deg and went down to 20 after few mins. We then lowered the temp from 24 to 20 and it reported 19. I then ask him to set at 18 and we finally able to achieve 16 at the coil.

He showed me moisture (sweating) forming from the outdoor unit. He also told me that different brands of aircon blow out air choppy vs smooth so we might experience it as stronger or weaker airflow.

So in summary, he advised me to try setting at 21 instead of sticking with 24 and see if it improves. if not i can request for daikin engineers to come down to verify and write a report of the system.

Im still debating if i should call Daikin to come down and verify. Warranty card havent sent yet.

terumo

Reaction score
Off coil temp for 9k btu fancoil unit with the door closed should be able to achieve 13-15 degree within 10 mins.

If your off coil can achieve 16 as u mentioned, then your room temp should be ard 26. There is usually a 10 degrees difference between ur off coil and the room temp.
So if room is 24, off coil is around 13-15 degrees.

Last edited:

The_King

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi terumo.

Can i know do system 2 Inverter models have 2 compressor now? if they do, how do i check it?

and also which system 2 Inverter air con brand is best for quality and durability without giving problem if they air con is maintain every 3 to 5 month?

thanks a lot

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Fujitsu System 3 Inverter from Courts. Hope its as good as my old Starmex non-inverter.

Price came with all pipings and 5 year extended warranty...

wah.. my Fujitsu inverter outdoor unit spoilt within first 3yrs. paying $3600 for everything last time.. den repair cost for the outdoor unit cost another $900...

so decided to scrapped everything and move to Daikin non-inverter.. till now not much problem.

terumo

Reaction score
To the_king,
All inverter system uses single compressor now. Only non-inverter have 2/dual compressor system.

For sys 2 invertor, i will suggest Mit Electric/Panasonic due to quality and value for money.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A colleague and I were chatting about air-con and so happens we are both using Mitsubishi so we were talking about settings.

His fan speed is always 3 which is the max (1 is minimum) and his temperature is about 26 degrees. He claims that the fan speed must be high if not will have "condensation". But because fan speed is max so he sets it to 26 degrees if not he said he will find it too cold if fan speed 3 and is 25 or 24 degrees.

I spoke about this to a relative and she has the opposite to say. She claims that fan speed should not set to max if not fan will spoil very fast and that is when you will hear the rattling noise. According to her, fan speed should set at medium (I guess that's 2 for Mitsubishi) and if its too warm should lower the temp to 24, 23 or even 22 degrees.

Now I'm confused. Who is correct? Is it true if fan speed set to max it will spoil faster? Or is it true if fan speed set too low will have condensation?

And what is the best combo? High fan speed with warmer temp? Low fan speed with colder temp? Or high fan speed with colder temp? I don't want my room to freeze but then again if I can't feel the cold air, then what's the point of an air-con in the first place. :s22:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.