Where to buy Cat5e/Cat6 Ethernet Cables at Sim Lim/Funan?

nfshp253

Reaction score
Just a heads up guys, I've just bought a 30m Cat6 cable for $42 at SLS. Performance is superb! Cable says "NETWORK PATCH CABLE 6E 4PR-ETL CAT.6E (UL) TIA/EIA-568B 279M". Does this mean it is really Cat6e? I've read online that Cat6e is relatively new and supports 500MHz signals.

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it even have a brand and felt fatter than your current 5e? If not, you might just possibly have gotton made in china run mills. Quality is ???

nfshp253

Reaction score
Brand just says "Green" and "Assembled in Singapore" but it seems slightly thicker than the current cat5e. Should be good quality since I'm getting fantastic speeds over it.

Limestone

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm planning to prepare my home for fibre boradband soon, and i'm shopping for Cat5e cables now.. i need 25m to run from my living room to my study room. is flat cables performance worse than round cables over 25m? or does the difference only matter if we exceed a certain length (say 50m?)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm planning to prepare my home for fibre boradband soon, and i'm shopping for Cat5e cables now.. i need 25m to run from my living room to my study room. is flat cables performance worse than round cables over 25m? or does the difference only matter if we exceed a certain length (say 50m?)

There is no difference over the short 25m. I tested before with a throughput test for 30m cable.

U can order 30m cable from DealExtreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30-meter-rj45-flat-network-cable-29344

audiovideo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xeelee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys..

So if less than 50m.. there is no differrence between cat6 and cat5e ?

Anyone knows roughly whats the price for 50m of cat5e ?

and where to buy ?

planning to run from my living room to 2 bedroom.. soon

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best if you can find someone willing to share a box
So each meter will work out around 35-60 cents depending on the brand.

spell

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows the pricing for cat6 cable now? Planning to get 100m to wire up my home, put the fiber ont inside storeroom. LHS is at slt which level?

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows the pricing for cat6 cable now? Planning to get 100m to wire up my home, put the fiber ont inside storeroom. LHS is at slt which level?

Level 2 at a corner
LHS sells Belden, likely Made in China.

Spirax

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sidetrack a bit, does anyone know where to get cheap DIY trunking.

Really waste the fibre bandwidth using wireless router only.

spell

Master Member
Reaction score
I plan to wire up my home, longest cable run per cable should not be more than 50m (2storey house, network equipment under the staircase) thinking of diy to save $$$. Cat 6 should suffix, use cat6a is waste $$ since not more than 50m right? Or even cat5e is enough? I heard cat6 & 5e price , what about cat6 & 6a?

Should I go for shielded or normal utp? If using shielded cat6 should go with shield jack(socket) otherwise as good as unshielded right? Similarly go for shielded plug? My understanding is go for shield if a lot of cables together or side by side with other electrical cable to prevent cross talk.

Are all plug & jack the same, or they also have cat5e/6 ?

Hope the experts here can advise.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

Should I go for shielded or normal utp? If using shielded cat6 should go with shield jack(socket) otherwise as good as unshielded right? Similarly go for shielded plug? My understanding is go for shield if a lot of cables together or side by side with other electrical cable to prevent cross talk.

Forget about shielded cable. Quote:
Although STP prevents interference better than UTP, it is more expensive and difficult to install. In addition, the metallic shielding must be grounded at both ends. If it is improperly grounded, the shield acts like an antenna and picks up unwanted signals. Because of its cost and difficulty with termination, STP is rarely used in Ethernet networks.

Source: CCNA: Network Media Types > Twisted-Pair Cable

Note: grounding for high frequency circuits is not simply connecting to earth wire of ac supply. With high frequency, capacitance and inductance of cables come into play, becoming much more significant than cable resistance.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Forget about shielded cable. Quote:
Although STP prevents interference better than UTP, it is more expensive and difficult to install. In addition, the metallic shielding must be grounded at both ends. If it is improperly grounded, the shield acts like an antenna and picks up unwanted signals. Because of its cost and difficulty with termination, STP is rarely used in Ethernet networks.

Source: CCNA: Network Media Types > Twisted-Pair Cable

Note: grounding for high frequency circuits is not simply connecting to earth wire of ac supply. With high frequency, capacitance and inductance of cables come into play, becoming much more significant than cable resistance.

Additionally I believe your equipment must also be shielded in order to use shielded cables.

bluewave

Reaction score
Does anyone know if ISTM Engineering at SLS or LHS at SLT sell quad 4 jack wall sockets for the ethernet cables?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.