how to ensure you get an original or quality cable (for beginners)

chesterljh

Reaction score
first, i have seen too many beginners being cheated by forumers here and decided to come up with this thread.

IT DOESNT MATTER IF ITS DONE BY A FAMOUS DIY-ER OR SOMEONE, ITS ABOUT ASSURANCE IN THE PRODUCT SUCH AS WARRANTY!

i will provide pictures soon.

Whiplash cable (This applies to LOD/Mini to Mini As well!)

1) Whiplash cable jacks have a unique "Whiplash" on the heatshrink especially for oyaide.

2) the pins for whiplash for heatshrink or earguides have a unique "Whiplash" on it

twcu_v3_8_conductor_1.jpg

Credits to Whiplash Audio

3) the pins for whiplash are usually clear for OM or Black. Pins are nicely done as shown in pictures

4) Whiplash cable choker heatshrink area has a unique "Whiplash" on the heatshrink

twcu_v3_om.jpg

twag_v3_om_1.jpg

Credits to Whiplash Audio

Toxic cables (This applies to LOD/Mini to Mini As well!)

1) Pins are nicely done similar to the Whiplash but it varies and OM will always look like the above

2) Choker area has a unique heat-shrink that states "Toxic Cables" and the name of the cable (Such as "poison" for silver poison)

3) The jack has a unique heat shrink that states "Toxic Cables" and might have the name of the cable (Varies)

900x900px-LL-06d25ce1_5ab04208_IMG_18381.jpeg

900x900px-LL-b3024e2a_77bb92df_DSC_1624.jpeg

Credits to KunLun from Head-fi

PlusSound Cables (This applies to LOD/Mini to Mini As well!)

1) PlusSound cables do not have OM version but they have a heatshrink of either black or white. (NO CLEAR HEATSHRINK!)

2) The jack has the unique heat shrink that states "PlusSound" (Can be clear or black)

3) The choker area is similar to the OM, it only has either black or white. (NO CLEAR HEATSHRINK)

BIGimg_1502.jpg.JPG

Credits to PlusSound Audio

BTG Audio Cables

1) The jack has a unique heat shrink which states "BTG"

2) The choker area has a unique heat shrink which states "BTG"

900x900px-LL-8da55bd4_042.jpeg

Credits to doublea71 from Head-fi

MORE COMING UP!!!

Risk of getting cables of the above that are DIY-ed

1) Original warranty of cable is void (e.g. jack connection, pins termination problem, cable oxidisation or cable problems)

2) Seller will refuse all responsibilities and you are on your own

3) You will need to pay extra for repair.

4) Value of cable drops and will never be its market price

5) If cable is spoilt or oxidise, the original manufacturer will not cover this

Combined from Protagonist post

I realise this thread is just an encouragement to get wires directly from the original makers. this is not a bad idea considering there is warranty, but the downside is obviously long waiting time for fixing of cables + rma shipping cost.

Does this mean that we are suppose to totally alienate all other types of Cables? Locally DIY'd or Modded wires cables does not necessarily mean a bad thing. those who hate waiting for the 2-3 months wait, or headphone jack that just spoilt and you are looking for a fix/upgrade.

Things that you should really check out when buying Modded Cables.

1) Make sure the pins are of the Right Size.

Most Important. Wrong size pins could make your earphone hole enlarged or not get a good fit. either way, NOT GOOD

2) Make sure the cables are ORIGINAL

this is hard, one way is to find someone with the same cable and audition both. look for signs that they are the same (refer to top)

3) Make sure if modded, they are done by someone with Good Rep
some irresponsible DIY's might just hastily piece the thing back together, thus might spoil easily.

Last edited:

racoiaw

Reaction score
You mean ppl actually do that? How they pass off the ergo of the cables itself? Thanks for the awareness

nekatrall

Reaction score
hehe if buy from me its by me sooooo eheheh

well fake cable business is big even the speaker cables also got fakes

chesterljh

Reaction score
haha! mainly aiming at people who says its original whiplash and does not indicated its modded and sell to a beginner. and when cable snaps the seller refuses responsibility and the buyer cant claim warranty and has to pay DIY-er for the repair

d4rkm4st3r

Master Member
Reaction score
Good thread..

Anyway, whiplash has reported companies making fake whiplash cables! So please do take note..

chesterljh

Reaction score
i think i should start a banlist...

TYCAINE FROM VRZONE - SELLING SPOILT WHIPLASH TWAG V2 CABLE - 83992411

said that he did it with fonebone when the workmanship is definitely not fonebone's standard

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
should put a link to his name or his threads, incase ppl miss out his name when searching for TWag cables.

d4rkm4st3r

Master Member
Reaction score
i think i should start a banlist...

TYCAINE FROM VRZONE - SELLING FAKE WHIPLASH TWAG V2 CABLE - 83992411

said that he did it with fonebone when the workmanship is definitely not fonebone's standard

Hmm, u mean this guy claim that the twag v2 cable is done by fonebone?

I don't remember whiplash selling twag v2 bulk cable.. Unless its like a few years ago..

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good stuffs! But as for the Whiplash wordings, they wear out over time and the copper cables oxidise, especially at the upper part where is contacts the head area.

But maybe mine is becos i wear them draping from behind, so more 'heat' exposure.

chesterljh

Reaction score
hmm...the jack area is badly oxidised that the cable has turned black in that region...

the cable now has been repaired but still have the risk of other parts of the cable oxidisng... oxidised part has been cut off...

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread.

Either buy direct or MO from reputable bros here.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.