Convert Malaysia license to Singapore license

Zephon

Reaction score
Dear all fellow drivers, (esp Malaysian who live in Singapore)

Am about to convert my Malaysian driving license to Singapore one, according to this website:

http://sgcgo.com/driving-license-conversion/

I will need to sit for the Basic Theory Test, upon passing the test, I need a letter from JPJ in order to proceed with the license application.

So my doubt is, what kind of letter is it? If I go to JPJ what should I tell the officer over there? Beside, must I go to the JPJ where I got my license or any JPJ will do?
Thank you very much!

gabsch

Reaction score
Ask the JPJ for the salinan rekod lesen memandu. Anyway, I'm sure the JPJ people know what to do. Don't think you'll be the first that they are doing this for.

Never tried asking this from another JPJ. To be on the safe side, get from your own JPJ (their database may be f**ked up)

But I know different states behave differently. Some will tell you that your license will be blacklisted. Others, will tell you that you can have both license at the same time.. =/

Zephon

Reaction score
thank you so much gabsch, will go to my hometown's JPJ next week.

cyruspang

Reaction score
Ask the JPJ for the salinan rekod lesen memandu. Anyway, I'm sure the JPJ people know what to do. Don't think you'll be the first that they are doing this for.

Never tried asking this from another JPJ. To be on the safe side, get from your own JPJ (their database may be f**ked up)

But I know different states behave differently. Some will tell you that your license will be blacklisted. Others, will tell you that you can have both license at the same time.. =/

Hi, after converted to Singapore License, can i drive malaysia car at malaysia?

something

Master Member
Reaction score
do remember, once you get this salinan rekod lesen memandu, u have to convert to sg driving license in 1 months time. so please pass yours sg Basic Theory Test first before get the salinan.

spell

Master Member
Reaction score
I personally know someone who successfully convert their MY to SG class 3. From what I know, you must have stayed at msia for at least 6mths (can't remember is 6mths or 1yr) from msia license date of issue. ie you are not working/studying at SG during this period.

Got a m'sian friend while studying in NUS, got her license in msia. She is not able to convert to SG license because of above reason. Meaning she need to take driving lesson & pass in SG in order to get SG license. (btw cost of getting license is many times cheaper over there compare to SG)

skyman1

Reaction score
You must get your msia license before you come to SG to work or study. Your friend study in NUS first then got her msia license, so cannot convert anymore.

lousydk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I personally know someone who successfully convert their MY to SG class 3. From what I know, you must have stayed at msia for at least 6mths (can't remember is 6mths or 1yr) from msia license date of issue. ie you are not working/studying at SG during this period.

Got a m'sian friend while studying in NUS, got her license in msia. She is not able to convert to SG license because of above reason. Meaning she need to take driving lesson & pass in SG in order to get SG license. (btw cost of getting license is many times cheaper over there compare to SG)

yea, if not everyone just go malaysia take liao come back then convert

laiwh

Reaction score
hi bros, need some advise here.

My wife is trying to convert her malaysian driving license to SG one. She got her license in year 2005. She got her Singapore PR in year 2006. Understand that Malaysian law requires 2 years of probation (P-plated) before they are granted full fledged license.

In this case, are they still considered having obtained the license before obtaining the SG PR? She has obtained the license extract from her hometown's JPJ, and the driving license's "year of issue" is stated as 2008 (approx 2.5 years after her date of passing the driving test).

spell

Master Member
Reaction score
hi bros, need some advise here.

My wife is trying to convert her malaysian driving license to SG one. She got her license in year 2005. She got her Singapore PR in year 2006. Understand that Malaysian law requires 2 years of probation (P-plated) before they are granted full fledged license.

In this case, are they still considered having obtained the license before obtaining the SG PR? She has obtained the license extract from her hometown's JPJ, and the driving license's "year of issue" is stated as 2008 (approx 2.5 years after her date of passing the driving test).

SG govt all look at black and white not like bolehland. Have your wife actually stayed more than 6 months after the 2008 year of issue? If not chances are she have to retake her driving test here. Not a difficult feat if you already know how to drive.

sagiluck

Reaction score
JPJ don't allow Msian to hold Msia Driving License if you ve converted to SG License.

but dont worry, you can drive in Msia with your SG license.

and SG driving license is lifetime unless kena revoked. ( no need to renew )

edit : found this in sgcarmart

Dimaklumkan bahawa mengikut Seksyen 27(6) Akta pengangkutan Jalan (APJ) 1987 membawa maksud hanya satu (1) lesen memandu sahaja samada lesen memandu Malaysia atau Singapura boleh dipegang pada satu-satu masa oleh warganegara Malaysia atau Singapura. Oleh yang demikian, tuan boleh menggunakan lesen memandu Singapura apabila memandu di Malaysia dengan syarat lesen memandu Singapura masih sah berkuatkuasa dan sama taraf kelas dengannya.

Sekian terima kasih.

"MESRA,CEKAP,TELUS"
"BERKHIDMAT UNTUK NEGARA"

Rosmawati Mohamad
Ketua Pembantu Penguatkuasa
Bahagian Pelesenan Pemandu
Ibu Pejabat JPJ Malaysia
Tel : 03-88866560
Fax : 03-88889642

Last edited:

doogiedog

Reaction score
I had my MY licence converted to SG licence in 2008 and was surprised that i was still able to renew my MY licence for 5 years after that. However, I just tried to renew it for another 5 years online and found out that my MY licence has been blacklisted. Checking online, I got hold of the following info:

Under "Akta pengangkutan Jalan (APJ) 1987" Section 27(6); you will be disqualified from MY driving licence if you had received another licence in SG. (You can get a copy of the Act by just googling for it)

Worried that I would not be able to drive MY car back home I searched the web for an answer and found the following webpage on the recognition of foreign driving licence in malaysia:

Portal Rasmi Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia

Clearly stated that as long as your licence is still valid in singapore, you are allowed to use it in MY also. The use of International Driving Permit is optional.

About ownership of a MY registered private vehicle, noted that your driving licence is not a required document when applying for change of ownership. However, I have not went through the process myself so would appreciate if someone can verify this.

Portal Rasmi Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia

FOR INFO ONLY.

Cheers!

chk_1982

Reaction score
Hi , understood that some forumer told that we can drive My Car using Sg License. However, anyone know that if touch wood, genna bang or accident, still able to claim insurance or will be complicated ?

And i got case, which my fren driving MY car using SG License kenna blocked by TP Msia, and the TP say is SG License cant drive msia car. However, i think the tp also dunt know all the rules. Can use the akta above to scare him.

Thanks in advance.

Flamerboy

Reaction score
Hi hope you guys dont mind me bringing up old thread.
I does have this question about converting my malaysian staff to Singapore driving license. Need some new updates on this old thread.
How do we go about doing it? I cannot find much information on our govt agencies, LTA, traffic Police, etc etc. Only blogs and forum.

how long does it takes and what is the passing rate?
My staffs are all having malaysian license.

Thanks
:)

qlouis76

Reaction score
Bring back the old post.. I got similar question. Need some updated info.

1. Can I go JPJ-JB to extract those information? (Got the license from Penang)
2. Does it convert both Class 3 and B2 together?
3. Do i get to keep Malaysian Driving license?

FadedBoy

Reaction score
Bring back the old post.. I got similar question. Need some updated info.

1. Can I go JPJ-JB to extract those information? (Got the license from Penang)
2. Does it convert both Class 3 and B2 together?
3. Do i get to keep Malaysian Driving license?

Get the letter from penang or other states, lower chance of getting your licence blacklisted.

Do it in JB confirm blacklisted, i did it 2 yrs ago... cant renew my malaysia DL.

Class D and B2 will convert to 3 and 2B respectively.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.