Minix Neo X5

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Instead of mixing up the feedback on the Minix Neo G4. I put up the review on the Minix Neo X5 here.

I call it, the Prototype of our future Android Computers - Review of Minix Neo X5

Tablets, Ipads have been eroding the market of PC slowly & now, companies have even made another step futher... the prototype of our future Android computer, the Minix Neo X5 Android TV box.

As a introductory name, they are being sold as Android Mini PC stick or Android TV boxes. Underneath the hood, it's the same Arm Core cpu from different vendors. There are myriads of such TV boxes or Mini PC sticks from Aztech, Astone & many more brands from China. Reviewing here is the more notable Minix Brand Neo X5 from Hong Kong, China. X5 stood up from the rest by having the faster Arm Cortex A9 1.4GHz Rockchip 3066 chip with 1G of ram, 16G of storage & latest 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS. Not reviewing the Android Mini PC sticks also, because in general many such Mini PC sticks still suffering from overheating, insufficient power for the USB ports & etc. While it's fun to have a small stick, hanging such a stick behind your TV with lots of cables dangling around isn't the kind of aesthetic I like.

Here is a quick summary of what works & what does not & some solutions found.

1. Minix default Android Interface(launcher) is not as friendly as Android 4.1.1 default. Android 4.1.1 default launcher is available but no easy way to switch launcher.
Solution: Install any launcher & launch it & you will be given a choice to choose the Android default, Andriod new.launcher(=Minix) or the newly installed launcher. Select Android default.
2. X5 goes into sleep mode & never wake up. Solution: Go to settings & developer options. Select 'Screen never sleeps'. It's odd such an important settings put into developer section.
3. Skype call out for 5 seconds & disconnect automatically when connected to both ethernet & wifi. Disconnect wifi & skype will work normal on ethernet. Like wise, disconnect ethernet & skype will work normal on wifi. This is a bug obviously.
4. XBMC works but no hardware acceleration. - there is a tweak for XBMC to launch media using external players like MX player. Not covered in this review. (Scratch that, please see update at page 2, post #16.)
5. Wireless is weak compared to normal USB dongle attached to PC. Within same location in the room, Minix wireless not stable, but PC with a Wifi USB dongle reported good connection.
6. The default remote control is infra-red & totally insensitive. I ordered the X5 together with a Measy RC11 airmouse which is much better then the default remote. Still, nothing beats the friendliness of a wired or wireless mouse.
7. "KuaiShou Kan Pian TV version" not working, and cannot be replaced as it's listed as system app. Install KuaiShou Kan Pian & problem solved.
8. Default file explorer does not remember samba/windows shares credential from your PC or NAS. Install ES Explorer. Automount in the Linux/Windows way is not possible still.
9. The default media player is capable to detects & play from my NAS's upnp, my XBMC server as well as my MythTV server. Did not explore the built-in media server.
10. Key Apps to install:
a. MX Player supports hardware acceleration. But only 1 default subtitle srt file supported. Hope future updates supports loading more than 1 subtitle srt files eg. Eng, Chinese Traditional & Chinese Simplified. Those are important for my non-English speaking family members.
b. Funshion. It seemed some US & HK Drama available in the Windows version but missing from the Android version.
c. Kuai Shou US drama, Kuai Shou HK drama, Kuai Shou kan pian.
d. Skype.
11. Skype from Google Play store works out of the box. Which webcam works with X5? I am using ProLink one as shown below. It's available locally. Still have not figure out how to start skype automatically when X5 starts.

Most people will hook the X5 up to their Full HD TV & use it with the air mouse/remote control.

My setup:
1. Hook up X5 with a HDMI-to-DVI convertor & use it on a DVI LED monitor.
2. Connect a powered speakers to the audio out of the X5. USB speaker would have taken up another USB port.
3. I connect a Prolink web cam, RC11 air mouse & a wired mouse to the 3 USB ports.

This setup stays on 24/7 & i only turn off the monitor when not in use. It's been running stable since I disabled the 'turn monitor to sleep mode' option. Advantage of such setup is that, incoming Skype call will rings through the external speakers which stays on & not consuming much electricity. That will not work on the audio out through HDMI to the TV when it's switched off on idle time. The Minix cost around S$150 from online stores including the Air Mouse & shipment to Singapore. That's a price point that today DIY PC cannot beat.

Today I measured the power consumption of the X5.

I got ~3 watts at idle.

20121231124634.jpg

I got ~4 watts while playing back Full HD movie with MX player running on hardware acceleration with the Mali Quad Core chip. Note that I tested on my pc, power consumption is lower when hardware acceleration kicks in. Without that, the cpu will be made to run at full speed to playback Full HD movies & consume more power instead.

Note that, the measurement are all taken with the Minix X5 alone. My LCD monitor & the speakers is taking up another 20W or so. Total of the Anroid PC + Monitor + Speaker is ~ 25W. Even my ultra low power Intel i3 2100T consumes 35Watts on idle. May be this is finally the computing technology that finally save the earth. :)

20121231125118.jpg

Last edited:

duri4n

Reaction score
Thanks for starting thread, I recently got this as well, neat little machine.
Here's the specs for everyone

specsheet-X5.jpg

duri4n

Reaction score
coyote are u able to install chrome browser for tablets on JellyBean?
I'm on ICS and unable to get chrome (device not compatible) :(

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No problem installing chrome & firefox on 4.1.1 but it seemed the default browser is more compatble with web.applications & etc.

Last edited:

fata1ityz

Reaction score
Sharing some useful apps that i use for the Minix Neo X5 and some other TV sticks! :)

• TVlauncher PRO
    A launcher designed for TV which is air mouse friendly!
    2ev4z9i.png

• Null Keyboard
    To remove the on-screen keyboard which takes up a lot space on the screen.

• DroidMote Server
    Control the Neo X5 with your android device with multitouch and gamepad support.
    Using DroidMote to play GTA: Vice City

• SnapPea
    Access Neo X5 from your windows desktop! Connect via Wi-Fi to the same network and it will allow you to manage files and folder on the X5 and also allowing you to install apk files right from your PC!
    snappea_4.png

• ProxyDroid
    Set the proxy on your android devices to allow you access all the drama/movie on PPS影音! (Require root!)
    Basically run the app and set the Host as "201.98.123.126" and Port as "80". Enable proxy and you are good to go! :)

That's all I have! Do contribute more if you guys have other useful apps or tips!! :)

JasonX

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying this product but i have some questions to ask.

1) I read tat the minix neo x5 has its google playstore set at China. If true, can it be changed?

2) I intend to buy from the local distro at SLS for $199. Are there any other places that offers this with cash & carry?

Many thanks in advance!

wainism

Reaction score
How to delete apps?

Hi Coyote,
Thanks for extensive review.

May I know how to delete apps?
There are a lot of apps that I dont need
I have the same keyboard controller as you.

Thanks.

duri4n

Reaction score
Flash ICS to JB

My experience so far in flashing from ICS to JB has been frustrating.
- Bought 4.0.4 version from SLS
- Followed Official Firmware | MINIX Forums - Unofficial to upgrade to 4.1.1_1227
- Trimmed the OTG cable to ensure full contact with the device
- Successfully flashed and restarted
- During normal operations, constant random freezes/crashes, sometimes it even self-reboot out of nowhere

Brief glimpse of JB: vastly improved interface, speed and functionality. Sites recognise the X5 as a tablet rather than phone. So they will load the tablet version if its available, making big screens effective now.

Attempted 3 times before giving up. Damn sian, so decided to flash back to 4.0.4.
If someone has links to the 4.1.4 (not the _1227 version) firmware, please do share. Or solutions to the freezing will be appreciated too, thanks! :s12:

Last edited:

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try the following, not sure if it helps.

2. X5 goes into sleep mode & never wake up. Solution: Go to settings & developer options. Select 'Screen never sleeps'. It's odd such an important settings put into developer section.

- During normal operations, constant random freezes/crashes, sometimes it even self-reboot out of nowhere

Or solutions to the freezing will be appreciated too, thanks! :s12:

wainism

Reaction score
Hi Coyote

May i check how did you download fushion and kuaishou?
Cant find them on PLAY.
Hope you can advise.

Thanks!

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
goto settings-->app, select the app you want to uninstall and click uninstall.

Hi Coyote,
Thanks for extensive review.

May I know how to delete apps?
There are a lot of apps that I dont need
I have the same keyboard controller as you.

Thanks.

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows how to import Firefox bookmarks from PC to Android TV box?

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cool updates:

ftp://firmware@minix.com.hk@www.minix.com.hk/XBMC_MINIX_NEO_hw_beta.rar

Please read Minix's facebook snippet below for explanation & password.

A non-samba version of hardware accelerated XBMC for your X5.

Without samba, it's not possible to read your video collections from your network pc or your NAS.

So, what is the use one ask?

Get Navi-X from attached.

Downloads - navi-x - Media Streaming Addon for XBMC & Boxee - Google Project Hosting

Launch XBMC, --> Program --> Addon --> Install from Zip file --> select Navi-X.zip.

Backup, select Navi-X

Select navi-xtreme Media Portal

The rest is self explanatory.

Enjoy the unlimited media.

What exactly Navi-X extremePortal does? See examples below.

Watching Live American TV in Navi-X, Revisited | XBMC HUB

Screen-Shot-2012-10-16-at-7.13.53-PM1.jpg

Last edited:

superman888

Reaction score
Hi,
I am keen on the Neo X5, but, I am not very sure on the advantage to pay for the Cloud program. What does it function? For IPTV purpose?

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not using any cloud service from anybody.

I don't think anybody should be paying for such illegitimate service when the contents are questionable from legalality pount of view.

xbmc is an open platform users use on their own. it's really up to individual.

Hi,
I am keen on the Neo X5, but, I am not very sure on the advantage to pay for the Cloud program. What does it function? For IPTV purpose?

fata1ityz

Reaction score
How did you get Navi-x to stream and download media? I tired but wasn't able to download or stream anything. Do you use VPN to connect or something? Thanks alot!!

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No VPN needed at all.

Just follow the instruction above & you should get it. Sometimes if the network is busy, you'll need to click on some of the links & wait a while before the channels show up. No special tricks, just follow the instructions above.

How did you get Navi-x to stream and download media? I tired but wasn't able to download or stream anything. Do you use VPN to connect or something? Thanks alot!!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.