COSCO Shipping International *Official* (SGX: F83)

Hoo8899

Reaction score
I have been avoiding shipping counters in the past years because of the weak freight rate and oversupply of vessels. Many great names fall, we have the largest U.S. tanker operator (Overseas Shipholding Group), the Britain's oldest shipping company (Deiulemar Shipping), Indonesia's largest oil and gas shipping group (Berlian Laju Tankers) and many more.

So what make Cosco a different one that worth to mention?

1. It rose from 2.50 to 8.0 within half a year
2. It dropped from 8.0 to 2.50 within 4 months and continue to 80c within the next 8 months
3. we have about 70c the lowest level post lehman's bankruptcy, now it is about a dollar

Seems that it is very volatile, which is good for speculators.

Let's look at the chart:

8381623351_0b3b6f1f35_z.jpg

8382706440_fe86244d2c_z.jpg

Triangle breached, 200MA breached with high volume (not shown in chart), touching the 10-years support line and bounced upwards, first target 1.40, next 2.00.

If it makes few dollars higher in the next 3 to 6 months, then it will be another historical move for Cosco.

Loaded a small positions with the intention for speculation only, time frame 1 week to 1 year depending on the stock performance and market sentiment.

kebinu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may as well flush your money down the toilet .
In all trades, entries and exits are planned before execution.

If there is a possible huge rally and limited loss, why not take the risk and go for it?

So in this chart, I would prefer Cosco to be above $3 before I may consider a long.

addict951

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
In all trades, entries and exits are planned before execution.

If there is a possible huge rally and limited loss, why not take the risk and go for it?

So in this chart, I would prefer Cosco to be above $3 before I may consider a long.

Then u prefer YZJ to be above what px then u will long? :s11:

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i rather u bet your money on RIMM or NOK in nyse if u love volatility. the volatility in nyse is gao gao, sti cannot compare one.

kenpachi82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
everyone is entitled to their opinion.
as long as proper stop loss and target is set, who dares to say TS is wrong?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
YZJ should perform better than Cosco, though I am holding 20 lots of Cosco.

Beginning of year, paper loss on YZJ was 11k. Now 1.10, loss turned to some realised profit and more paper profit of $8k!!! Will be holding till 1.20 before deciding what to do.

Hoo8899

Reaction score
i rather u bet your money on RIMM or NOK in nyse if u love volatility. the volatility in nyse is gao gao, sti cannot compare one.

Nowadays I thought peoples onli using samsung and apple? I don't look favour at Nokia's business simply they are using Windows OS. I am also not saying that I like volatility, volatility can means you win/loss quick bucks in quick time. Buying volatile stocks when it is cheap means that you have better chance to win quick bucks then to loss it. Overall I consider myself a safe investor, that's why I am in with small long positions

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This morning ordered 10 lots yzj at 1.025 and another 10 lots at 1.02 before leaving for JB at 9.15am.

When I came back after dinner, my order fulfilled and all my paper profit all evaporated:s13::s13::s13:

remy3413

Master Member
Reaction score
This morning ordered 10 lots yzj at 1.025 and another 10 lots at 1.02 before leaving for JB at 9.15am.

When I came back after dinner, my order fulfilled and all my paper profit all evaporated:s13::s13::s13:

Henry, just curious, how many lots you have? Can say? If not nvm :)

Hoo8899

Reaction score
May test the 200M 94c to close the gap, it really doesn't matter if I get into it earlier, so long as I didn't miss the bull run.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nowadays I thought peoples onli using samsung and apple? I don't look favour at Nokia's business simply they are using Windows OS. I am also not saying that I like volatility, volatility can means you win/loss quick bucks in quick time. Buying volatile stocks when it is cheap means that you have better chance to win quick bucks then to loss it. Overall I consider myself a safe investor, that's why I am in with small long positions

you are looking at the present scenario. One doesn't look at the present scenario and buys shares betting on the present. I bet on the future. Maybe bet is an incorrect word to use.
Besides, Singapore is a very very small country. Unfortunately, Nokia/Microsoft marketing probably put little emphasis in Singapore. It is different in US, especially Europe. India and China are potential ones to look at though i won't say u expect a fast change in these 2 emerging markets.

Fyi, after 6 consecutive quarters of losses, Nokia released pre-earnings that it is now breakeven. Currently still considered a 'penny' stock in US terms since it is below 5USD. It makes sense that you buy the stock of a product u love. Hence, it makes sense that you didn't buy Nokia becoz of the OS it is under. But it may not be representative of the views that other people have.

Quite alot of the confirm-win stock gains has been snapped up in Nokia and Rimm. It is now up to those who are willing to take bigger risks to jump onto the ship.

Hoo8899

Reaction score
you are looking at the present scenario. One doesn't look at the present scenario and buys shares betting on the present. I bet on the future. Maybe bet is an incorrect word to use.
Besides, Singapore is a very very small country. Unfortunately, Nokia/Microsoft marketing probably put little emphasis in Singapore. It is different in US, especially Europe. India and China are potential ones to look at though i won't say u expect a fast change in these 2 emerging markets.

Fyi, after 6 consecutive quarters of losses, Nokia released pre-earnings that it is now breakeven. Currently still considered a 'penny' stock in US terms since it is below 5USD. It makes sense that you buy the stock of a product u love. Hence, it makes sense that you didn't buy Nokia becoz of the OS it is under. But it may not be representative of the views that other people have.

Quite alot of the confirm-win stock gains has been snapped up in Nokia and Rimm. It is now up to those who are willing to take bigger risks to jump onto the ship.

Well perhaps you are right about Nokia. But to me for comparison, a profitable and oversold stock versus a not profitable oversold stock, I will still prefer the first one. If I make a wrong bet, I still get some dividend (hopefully). Yet for Cosco, at least I know what is my cut loss point (which is below the 10-years trend line), but for Nokia, it is probably too difficult to set a stop loss point if you are buying the future of the brand. The only positive perspective I have for Nokia is the brand name, which has the potential being the next M&A target. Anyway good luck to you coolhead!

Hoo8899

Reaction score
Watch for potential spike on Cosco (as well as YZJ, both having similar move), the temporary correction is nearly over yet the price is still stay above the support line and 200SMA. Next week, if not this week..

Hoo8899

Reaction score
Cosco profit down 24%, priced in and we don't see big move from the market. Still holding and betting on shipping recovery.

Jupiter2017

Reaction score
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...ntary-cash-offer-for-cogent-at-s102-per-share
Fri, Nov 03, 2017 - 4:20 PM UPDATED Fri, Nov 03, 2017 - 4:52 PM
Cosco Shipping Int'l makes voluntary cash offer for Cogent at S$1.02 per share

COSCO Shipping International on Friday made a voluntary conditional cash offer to acquire all the issued ordinary shares of Cogent Holdings Ltd for a sum of S$488.07 million.
The offer price is at S$1.02 per share, a premium of about 5.2 per cent over the last transacted price of S$0.970 per share on Nov 2. The company has no intention to revise the offer.
The aggregate number of Cogent Holdings shares held by the four undertaking shareholders - Tan Yeow Khoon; Tan Yeow Lam; Tan Min Cheow, Benson; and Ng Poh Choo - amount to 403.5 million shares, representing about 84.33 per cent of all Cogent shares in issue.
Cosco does not intend to maintain the listing status of Cogent and intends to exercise the right to compulsorily acquire, at the offer price, all the Cogent shares of shareholders who have not accepted.
The acquisition of Cogent shares will be funded by way of internal cash resources and bank borrowings. In this regard, Cosco Shipping has entered into a commitment letter for a loan facility of up to S$350 million from Bank of China to partially fund acceptances under the offer.

The rationale for the acquisition is to acquire control in one of Singapore's leading full service, integrated logistics service providers with a track record of over 40 years, said Cosco Shipping. It expects to leverage its holding company China Cosco's existing logistics business platform to potentially develop new business opportunities in the logistics sector in South-east Asia, taking advantage of the "Belt and Road Initiative". Cosco will also be able to offer end-to-end services to its customers with logistical needs in Singapore and Malaysia, said the company.
Separately, Cosco Shipping reported a net profit of S$24.8 million for the three months to September from a loss of S$102.3 million a year ago.
Revenue fell 29 per cent to S$6.99 million from S$9.9 million owing to a fall in shipping revenue from a smaller fleet of bulk carriers. Currently, the group's dry bulk shipping fleet comprises four Handymax carriers after it scrapped six bulk carriers by end-September 2017.
Earnings per share stood at 1.10 Singapore cents per share from a loss per share of 4.57 Singapore cents a year ago. No dividend was recommended for the period.
For the nine-month period, losses narrowed to S$75 million from S$154 million on the back of a one per cent dip in revenue to S$29.2 million.
Trading in the shares of Cosco Shipping was halted mid-Friday pending the offer announcement with the counter last traded at 30 Singapore cents.
Cogent shares had risen two Singapore cents or 2 per cent to 99 Singapore cents by mid-day before trading was halted for the release of the announcement.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.