Microsoft Surface

lexmarq

Reaction score
The battery life seemed not so good from some reviews I read. One of the main reason I got the surface rt was the battery life, haha.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like the embargo on the reviews is over.

So who will be the first to get it here? :D

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Conflicted now... Lenovo Thinkpad 2 or Surface Pro.

So far haven't read any reviewer switch to Power Saving mode which limits Core i5-3317 to 800Mhz which is make it act like the new 7w SDP Ivy Bridge. Wonder if it'll give 1 extra hour of battery. At 800Mhz, it's still crazy fast!

aucheukyan

Master Member
Reaction score
will be totally sold if they lift the OS lock on Surface, same as other W8 laptop

lexmarq

Reaction score
will be totally sold if they lift the OS lock on Surface, same as other W8 laptop

According to an Q&A with Microsoft :

Q: On the Surface Pro, is the boot loader unlocked so I can load other operating systems?

A: "Like other Windows 8 machines, you can access BIOS settings and turn off secure boot, enabling you to load other OSes."

http://www.zdnet.com/why-did-microsoft-deliver-surface-rt-before-pro-and-other-pesky-questions-answered-7000010935/

doctorweir

Reaction score
Conflicted now... Lenovo Thinkpad 2 or Surface Pro.

So far haven't read any reviewer switch to Power Saving mode which limits Core i5-3317 to 800Mhz which is make it act like the new 7w SDP Ivy Bridge. Wonder if it'll give 1 extra hour of battery. At 800Mhz, it's still crazy fast!

Conflicted? Really? These are two totally different machines ;)
Thinkpad 2 is small, light, long battery life, but Atom only...biggest drawback for me personally: no great keybard solution like the surface to use it for productivity.
Surface Pro is a full Laptop with loads performance, good keyboard, but bigger, heavier, shorter battery life.

For me the SurfaceRT is the perfect middle ground. Light and allows productivity.
For heavy duty and x86 I still have my Samsung7 Slate...over 1.5 years old, but not much behind a surface pro. Only missing the nifty keyboard solution...
I would have thought the SurfacePro with the new IvyBridge can pull much more battery life than the 7Slate (4hrs on average) but apparently that's not the case.

So I guess the real winner will be the next generation Atom with real firepower. Currently you always have to compromise on something unless you have a perfect fit for your personal use-case.

LouisLoh

Reaction score
Conflicted? Really? These are two totally different machines ;)
Thinkpad 2 is small, light, long battery life, but Atom only...biggest drawback for me personally: no great keybard solution like the surface to use it for productivity.
Surface Pro is a full Laptop with loads performance, good keyboard, but bigger, heavier, shorter battery life.

For me the SurfaceRT is the perfect middle ground. Light and allows productivity.
For heavy duty and x86 I still have my Samsung7 Slate...over 1.5 years old, but not much behind a surface pro. Only missing the nifty keyboard solution...
I would have thought the SurfacePro with the new IvyBridge can pull much more battery life than the 7Slate (4hrs on average) but apparently that's not the case.

So I guess the real winner will be the next generation Atom with real firepower. Currently you always have to compromise on something unless you have a perfect fit for your personal use-case.

I'd totally get a Surface Atom with active digitizing running W8.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Well guys, WinRT is no-go for me.

Lenovo Thinkpad 2 is VERY light & thin but can't handle FHD video. It's got great battery life at 8-10hrs but CPU power is not powerful enough for Visual Studio. It'll run all my Enterprise software but with some lag due to Java. Thinkpad 2 has a nice kb as well & Lenovo keyboards are always nice. Mobility is very important to me.

Surface Pro is heavier with much poorer battery life of between 3-5 hours. It's a Core i5-3317 which is not changeable unlike my current Fujitsu tablet PC. It can run Visual Studio but I'm using it less now. Mobility is more important for me but I'm addicted to speed.

My perfect tablet will be the Surface Pro with Core i5/i3 Haswell. Preferbly i3 which is still at least 2-3x Atom CPU power but with a TDP of 5-7w. That way the battery life can at least hit 5-7 hours assuming MS use the same H77 chipset. Hopefully, they'll use a more power-efficient chipset to stretch it a little bit more. Core i3 also need less cooling so the fan can be slower & use less battery as well.

Maybe I should just wait another year & hope my 5yo Fujitsu don't die on me.

Chiron

Reaction score
Pro version available on MS US website liao, who gg to get it first here? hehe. Very tempted potential customer here. Saw a local website posted on this thread sometime back that also offer the RT and pro version (when available). More worth to get from that website than from the US online website?

Scuderia

Master Member
Reaction score
I also want a Pro with Type Cover. 64GB or 128GB doesn't matter. Who's getting?

Chiron

Reaction score
Only 1100sgd? The ms pro cost usd999, more than 1.1k SGD, how u get it? Sic leh hehe

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
no gst?....

They will sent another GST invoice after the package has arrived, it will be around 80-90 at 7%, so I might end up paying 1300.
Not too bad still, an ultrabook with this specs would have been around 1500-1800 in our local retailer.

eclipZeX

Master Member
Reaction score
Ordered 128GB Pro, confirmed. Its on the way :)
cost me around 1100 SGD.

great with my Surface RT..

How you paid? I ordered 3 times with 3 different cards and all 3 times they cancelled my order after 1-2 hrs without giving reasons. Now sold out :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.