Osaka & Tokyo

ki_123

Reaction score
[Trip Report] Osaka & Tokyo

Hi All,

Have read through several of the threads for weeks and have finally come up with my itinerary (not in full details) for Osaka to Tokyo trip during March to April (+-15 days).

Would appreciate some feedback as I'm a first time traveler there and actually I have yet to book any of my accommodation :s13: Main purpose for the trip is sakura viewing, shopping, exploring the main areas at a more leisure pace, theme parks and a little sightseeing.

Before that I have some questions here:

1) Any recommended hotels to stay in Osaka? Which is a better choice location. Umeda/Namba?
2) Can I purchase the Shinkansen pass when I arrive at Tokyo Station? Is it cheaper if I purchase round trip?
3) Which day of the week is it best to visit places like Harajuku/Shinjuku/Shibuya?

Thank you all in advance!

Day 1:
Arrive in the morning
NRT ---> Shinkansen (Nozomi Train) ---> Osaka
Hotel: ???????
Explore Area, nights out

Day 2:
Osaka Castle
Osaka Aquarium

Day 3:
Universal Studio

Day 4:
Namba/Umeda

Day 5:
Check out from hotel (Osaka)
Back to Tokyo
Explore area, nights out.

Day 6:
Roppongi
Tokyo Towers

Day 7:
Either 1 of the 3:
Harajuku/Shibuya/Shinjuku

Day 8:
Either 1 of the 3:

Day 9:
Either 1 of the 3:

Day 10:
Disneyland/Sea

Day 11:
Disneyland/Sea

Day 12:
Ueno
Akihabara
Ginza

Day 13:
Asakusa
Tokyo Sky Tree
Odaiba

Day 14:
Ikebukuro/Shinjuku/Harajuku

Day 15:
Last min shopping around the areas depending on where I stay.
Evening flight back to SG.

Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have read through several of the threads for weeks and have finally come up with my itinerary (not in full details) for Osaka to Tokyo trip during March to April (+-15 days).

Would appreciate some feedback as I'm a first time traveler there and actually I have yet to book any of my accommodation :s13: Main purpose for the trip is sakura viewing, shopping, exploring the main areas at a more leisure pace, theme parks and a little sightseeing.

Before that I have some questions here:

1) Any recommended hotels to stay in Osaka? Which is a better choice location. Umeda/Namba?
[Umeda is better connected to other parts of Kansai such as Kobe, Nara and Kyoto. but since u are not planning to go to any of there places, i think there is not much difference between Umeda or Namba]
2) Can I purchase the Shinkansen pass when I arrive at Tokyo Station? Is it cheaper if I purchase round trip?
[not sure if there is round trip tickets. actually u can get the 7-days JR pass to cover the trip from NRT to tokyo to osaka, and osaka back to toyko]
3) Which day of the week is it best to visit places like Harajuku/Shinjuku/Shibuya?
[harajuku on sundays to see cosplayers. no diff for shinjuku and shibuya]

Thank you all in advance!

Day 1:
Arrive in the morning
NRT ---> Shinkansen (Nozomi Train) ---> Osaka
Hotel: ???????
Explore Area, nights out
[if u are getting JR pass, then cannot take Nozomi train, just take normal shinkansen]

Day 2:
Osaka Castle
Osaka Aquarium

Day 3:
Universal Studio

Day 4:
Namba/Umeda

Day 5:
Check out from hotel (Osaka)
Back to Tokyo
Explore area, nights out.

Day 6:
Roppongi
Tokyo Towers
[roppongi is for night life, and u probably cant spend the whole day at tokyo towers. may wanna add more places to this day]

Day 7:
Either 1 of the 3:

Day 8:
Either 1 of the 3:

Day 9:
Either 1 of the 3:
[1 day each for harajuku, shinjuku and shibuya? i think 1 whole day for harajuku is ok, coz there is meiji shrine and yoyogi park there, but for the rest, maybe a bit too much unless u are really into shopping. do have some back up plan for alternative places to go in case u get bored of shopping]

Day 10:
Disneyland/Sea

Day 11:
Disneyland/Sea

Day 12:
Ueno
Akihabara
Ginza

Day 13:
Asakusa
Tokyo Sky Tree
Odaiba
[odaida is one place i can spend that whole day at personally. for consideration if u are reorganising ur itinerary]

Day 14:
Ikebukuro/Shinjuku/Harajuku
[wah... more shopping at shinjuku and harajuku?! =:p]

Day 15:
Last min shopping around the areas depending on where I stay.
Evening flight back to SG.

my comments above.

generally i think ur itinerary is quite relax and nicely paced. great if u wanna take things slow, sip coffee at some cafe and people watch etc.

ki_123

Reaction score
Hi evilerniex! Thank you for your comments! Will definitely look to revise my itinerary again. Say if I really dont intend to buy the jrpass and just take the nozomi train, will I be able to purchase the tickets on the spot itself or do i have to make any reservations etc.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi evilerniex! Thank you for your comments! Will definitely look to revise my itinerary again. Say if I really dont intend to buy the jrpass and just take the nozomi train, will I be able to purchase the tickets on the spot itself or do i have to make any reservations etc.

yes, u can buy on the spot.
but any reason y u dun wan to get JR pass? it is cheaper to get a JR pass coz NRT to osaka is already 16250yen and osaka to tokyo is 13750yen. so total is 30000yen, which is more than a 7-day pass which coz 28300yen

Lucrado_Rawks

Reaction score
Another way that you might want to consider is the overnight bus to Osaka from Tokyo aka Willer Express.... It will cover your expenses for the night as well so it is a cheaper option..

snap99

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your timing may coincide with the Sakura crowds, so book your hotels soon .....

ki_123

Reaction score
yes, u can buy on the spot.
but any reason y u dun wan to get JR pass? it is cheaper to get a JR pass coz NRT to osaka is already 16250yen and osaka to tokyo is 13750yen. so total is 30000yen, which is more than a 7-day pass which coz 28300yen

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I think I miscalculated somethings in between. I keep thinking it was cheaper if I don't purchase the JR passes. Erm..sorry so if I purchase the JR pass, I can use if from NRT to Tokyo without paying any additional right?

Another way that you might want to consider is the overnight bus to Osaka from Tokyo aka Willer Express.... It will cover your expenses for the night as well so it is a cheaper option..

Thank you for the idea but most likely we will take the train (my friend can't take it.)

Your timing may coincide with the Sakura crowds, so book your hotels soon .....

Yes will do!

Happy Lunar New Year All!!!

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JR pass can only buy outside Japan. Make sure you buy before flying out of Singapore.

Reach Japan liao, can just to JR office to exchange for the actual pass. Let them know when u want to start using it.

Remember to bring ur original passport for verification at the JR office

ki_123

Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little confuse here but here's my initial plan for my train ride:

Purchase the suica & nex package (round trip) = 5500jpy I'm arriving on a sat and leaving on the saturday after. Does it consider "within 14 days"?

Take the Nozomi train: Osaka to Tokyo then Tokyo to Osaka = 14250jpy for 1 way each.

Say if I purchase the JR pass(7days) and activate it on the first day. How much will I be paying from Tokyo back to Narita airport?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Purchase the suica & nex package (round trip) = 5500jpy I'm arriving on a sat and leaving on the saturday after. Does it consider "within 14 days"?

Take the Nozomi train: Osaka to Tokyo then Tokyo to Osaka = 14250jpy for 1 way each.

Say if I purchase the JR pass(7days) and activate it on the first day. How much will I be paying from Tokyo back to Narita airport?

if u are taking narita express (NEX), it cost 2740yen from tokyo to narita.
u can also take keisei skyliner which is a little cheaper; or keisei main line, which cost 1000yen, but takes longer to get there

if u have not book ur hotels, u can consider shifting osaka to last few days, then use 7-days JR pass to cover tokyo->osaka and osaka->tokyo->narita; and get suica+NEX package for first day

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
If you intend to buy JR Pass, remember to buy it in Singapore because you cannot purchase it in Japan.

In Singapore, you will get the voucher for you to bring to Japan and exchange for your actual JR Pass when you are over at Japan.

If you want Sakura viewing, why not spend some time at Kyoto or Nara??
Rather than spending so many days at Tokyo in shopping districts like Shibuya/Harajuku/Shinjuku...

Last edited:

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score

use hyperdia.com to check train schedules/duration/fares...

ki_123

Reaction score
@samtcy: I'll probably save the rest of the sightseeing during my next trip as my friend and I both kinda oppose the idea of moving too often with our luggage.

And a big thank you for all the advises. Appreciate the great help. I've actually book my accommodation over the long weekend and I'll probably get the JR passes (7 days) and see how it goes! Hehehe Hope I don't get lost! *fingers cross*.

Have a great lunar new year!

samtcy

Master Member
Reaction score
@samtcy: I'll probably save the rest of the sightseeing during my next trip as my friend and I both kinda oppose the idea of moving too often with our luggage.

And a big thank you for all the advises. Appreciate the great help. I've actually book my accommodation over the long weekend and I'll probably get the JR passes (7 days) and see how it goes! Hehehe Hope I don't get lost! *fingers cross*.

Have a great lunar new year!

Even though you will be staying at Osaka, you can still visit Kyoto if you want without shifting hotels.
It's only a 30mins normal train ride and costs 540yen from Osaka station to Kyoto station.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just imo... if u want to go both disneyland and sea, reserve 4 days for it.

i just came back from tokyo last mth and 1 day wasnt enough for tokyo disneysea.

same for odaiba. if u want to fully explore it AND go joypolis, need 2 days.

joypolis enough to take up 1 day alr.

if u just plan to sight see, 1 day enough

mazatsushi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FYI, try grouping the places you want to visit together based on locality.

It is cheaper since you do not need to run around, and more things can be done.

ki_123

Reaction score
@samtcy: cool I'll probably checked out kyoto if we are able to squeeze it in the itinerary. Thanks for the recommendations!

@darkmatt: I won't be heading to joypolis (not a sega or arcade fan and i think by then i would have enough of theme parks hehe) and I probably wouldn't want to allocate up to 4 days for disney land and sea but hey thanks for the recommendations! I'll probably head back there again if I'm not able to cover most of the places!

@mazatsushi: will definitely keep your words in mind. Thank you for the tips!

ki_123

Reaction score
Trip Report

Hi All,

Firstly, many thanks for the help for planning my Japan trip. Had a wonderful time there. Just want to share my brief trip report when I was there. Hopefully it helps those first timers like myself. Please pardon me for any unclear pictures.

Route: Singapore --> Narita Airport --> Osaka --> Tokyo
End March to Mid April
Weather in Osaka: Lowest about 12?
Weather in Tokyo: Lowest about 15 to 17?

The wind was the killer for us but we still enjoyed the cool weather.

Hotel in Osaka: Hotel Il Coure Namba (abt SGD170/night)
Remark: Namba area, 5mins to train station. Clean. Is more like a business hotel. Rooms I would say is big (2 luggage fully open and I still have decent walkways) Didn't have the usual hotel service (Eg. help carry luggage to hotel room) or I was just unlucky :s13: but overall service staff are still polite.

Hotel in Tokyo: Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo (abt SGD 210/night).
Remark: I made a little mistake with this hotel in terms of the price. When I was booking, I thought the price was in SGD (guess I'm too excited to go Japan). Only when I was in Japan and checking my bank statements online. Then I realize the price is in USD. Ok, anyway location is at Ikebukuro, 5 mins to train station. Clean, service is good, hotel itself is quite huge, rooms are big with decent walkways even with big luggage.

Total, I spend about 2 weeks there. 4 days Osaka, 10 days Tokyo.

Here's my trip report, enjoy!

Day 1
->Arrive Narita then to Osaka by Shinkansen
->Checked in hotel.
->Walked around our hotel area (Shinsaibashi Shopping Arcade)

Our first meal in Japan. The eggs are really nice.
Kimchi Ramen
img5769mq.jpg

Shio Ramen
img5770i.jpg

Our supper/breakfast from convenience store
img5777t.jpg

Loots for the day...I know we are horrible..first day already open account -_-"
img5771c.jpg

ki_123

Reaction score
Day 2
->Osaka Castle for Sakura
->Osaka Aquarium

The park leading to Osaka Castle
img5824.JPG

Highlight of the day
img5823o.jpg

More Sakura and picnic for some of them.
img5887s.jpg

Another
img5871p.jpg

A different Sakura breed. Seriously they are all so pretty...miss that sight...
img5907y.jpg

Finally....we are reaching
img5936cn.jpg

Our Tickets...we paid 600yen/pax if I remember correctly.
img5937y.jpg

Basically, its a museum about the history of the place. Er..is 7 levels I think. If you are not into museum. I think is not worth to pay to go in as the museum is actually quite small. Also, one of the level can play dress up approx 1000+yen for that.
img5943b.jpg

ki_123

Reaction score
We left shortly and headed to the Osaka Aquarium!
img6020b.jpg

Huge ferries wheel near the aquarium
img6017c.jpg

Our tickets. Price is 2300yen/pax.
img6027q.JPG

Sleeping Penguins
img6058y.jpg

img6057c.jpg

This stingray looks like batman!
img6075b.JPG

Kani!!!! -Slurps-
img6090x.jpg

There's a shopping complex beside the aquarium. They sells a lot of omiyages. I think is good to explore if you are keen to buy somethings for family/co-workers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.