KDK ceiling fan users pls come in

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a few KDK M11SU ceiling fans. I noticed that even though I lower the speed to 1, whenever I turn off the fan and turn it on again, it reverts back to speed 2. Happens to all of my M11SU fans.

I downloaded the manual but there's no mention about how to either change the default speed or how to prevent it from reverting to default speed. Anyone tried and had any success?

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem, live with it lor.

kdk guys recommend to OFF the fan using the remote, not just by switching off from the wall switch. To prolong the lifespan of kdk fans.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem, live with it lor.

kdk guys recommend to OFF the fan using the remote, not just by switching off from the wall switch. To prolong the lifespan of kdk fans.
Huh? How does switching off from remote prolong lifespan and how does switching off from wall switch shorten it?

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the kdk guy explained to me - comparing it like switching off your computer from the wall switch instead of shutting it down via windows. your computer will up lorry very fast.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could it be the same concept as a TV remote? That is you turn off via remote its actually on standby mode which uses little power as opposed to turn off at the mains where it totally doesn't use any power.

AlpineEscape

Reaction score
Sadly ... i am an unfortunate owner of 5 KDK ceiling fans of the predecessor model (A11YS).

I must say they are truly disappointing, especially when they are such a reputed brand. After 5years of usage, only 1 survived. All 4 others failed because of the electronics. 1 have since been replaced last year because it either doesnt spin, or it can only operate at speed 3. We depended on this for our dining area. While we just continue to use the 3 other faulty ones (2 just stay at speed 2 and 1 stays at speed 1, unable to respond to remote's speed control). The main cause of failure is always the electronics (speed controller).

These days, most appliances fail because of poor electronics. All those inverter circuits, smart technologies in the end are good for marketing and selling the products. It is usually these features that fail first.

It does not matter if you turn off by switch or remote control, the electronics will still fail after a few years. The first unit that failed, after about 3yrs, was usually turned off by remote. But it is in the living area and hence the usage is expectedly higher. Now we live with it default speed at 2.

For the unit that was replaced, I took the calculated risk of opting for the KDK M11SU, mainly because I want to ensure that I do not need to re-drill holes to fit a different mounting bracket. At least KDK did not change the screw hole positioning for mounting bracket between the 2 models. 1yr+ now. Still cannot say it has any improvements over the previous. But I do find it a little noisier. I have total faith in KDK fan motors, but none whatsoever in their electronics.

Cathrine

Reaction score
I have experienced a lot more than that I have purchased all my ceiling fans from KDK and with 2 years time i have to replace them as almost all of them were making noise and some of them even stop working completely.

rtfm38

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sianz, my kdk fan starting to have these symptoms too.

luei74

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fanco r ok with me, after 5 yrs of usage 2/4 of my fanco need to replace the capacitors.

Blackpea

Reaction score
I am facing the same problem. My fan lasted less than 3 years and now spins only at speed 1. Cannot change speed or set the timer. Thought of sending it for service but thought might make more sense to replace a new one. Definitely not KDK this time though I still like the design very much. I own other KDK stand fans and must say they are nothing compared to the heavy, metal ones my grandma had!

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Same here. Initially bought fanco but died after 3yrs. So buy a kdk since my in law ones have been it going strong for the last 10yrs. Old model are good but my new kdk started having humming sound after 2yrz. Call up kdk, they say installation not guaranteed. Totally disappointed in their product and service.

jnkclub

Reaction score
Looking for KD A11YS & K15Y6 Ceilling Fan remote control

Hi there,

I am looking for KD A11YS & K15Y6 Ceiling Fan remote control.

One each.

DO let me know if anyone letting go or for sales.

kent_chong01@yahoo.com

Thanks!

swami1959

Master Member
Reaction score
KDK Fan

I purchased a KDK fan model R48SP serial number 142100128 on 31 May 2014 for SGD 218.90

Since 10 June 2015 this fan only runs at speed "1" and "2". Just outside the 12 month warranty period :-( . Based on my experience, the Meantime Between Failure (MTBF) for this model is 1 year.

KDK service center has stated that the cost of replacing the circuitry associated with remote control will be SGD 70 and service charge will be SGD 20. Then I have to add on the cost of dismantling the fan and taking it to KDK office at Tagore Lane.

Reading numerous posts it would appear that the capacitors used in the circuit is the first to fail rendering the entire fan useless.
Spending about 50% of the price of new fan to fix this 1 year old fan appears to be exorbitant.

I have posted photos of the fan internals here :

It is possible to bypass the remote see the circuit diagram here. Thereafter I can install an external SCR based speed controller which is much cheaper to acquire and maintain.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPoJxXIFmbgsC7vJW-wPnWbyQHIVEZTOv3916Pm

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOfnJc2v7CdAj3Fyr_ON3Eu_nBToMbV0CotsB7e

This is the photo of the circuit board component side

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOpEWx7fYMUqEEWLJ8HWFvZi-JbWf1pQuaKxIJS

This is the photo of the non component side.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNiMa7tRBIMlDi-Fl5eRldSu9cR0beeYRygqX7Q

This is the picture of motor. There is a thermal fuse here connected to white wire.

If any one in SG sells spares for this fan at a more affordable price? Please share with me.

Check out this link : it has useful pointers on DIY fix

http://www.jestineyong.com/panasonic-ceiling-fan-repaired-part-2/

Last edited:

jujiang

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for 2nd hand KDK A11YS Ceiling Fan remote control urgently.

DO let me know if anyone letting go or for sales n whatsapp me at 98735699

Thanks!

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
Replace the capacitor in the ceiling fan, should solve the problem. Works for the standing and wall fans. Just remove the capacitor and bring to sim lim tower to find a replacement. Alternately u can pass me the pcb board and i can help you repair. Email me at jmathew1108@gmail.com

snookie51

Reaction score
Replace the capacitor in the ceiling fan, should solve the problem. Works for the standing and wall fans. Just remove the capacitor and bring to sim lim tower to find a replacement. Alternately u can pass me the pcb board and i can help you repair. ......

Capacitor replacement is only applicable in situation where the fan can still run but can only do so at a reduced speed or needs manual turning of the blades to make it run. But for remote controlled models, the fault may lie in the control circuitry meaning the control board may have to be repaired or replaced.

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
I'm referring to the big black capacitor on the PCB Board, not the one in the motor. Almost all pcb related problems for kdk fans, from unresponsive remote to not being ableto oscillate is all due to this capacitor. Thr one in the motor is different
Capacitor replacement is only applicable in situation where the fan can still run but can only do so at a reduced speed or needs manual turning of the blades to make it run. But for remote controlled models, the fault may lie in the control circuitry meaning the control board may have to be repaired or replaced.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.