[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Depends on redundancy vs performance needs. Sensitive data probably SHR-2 or RAID 6, can tahan 2 disk fail. OW SHR or RAID 5. Need speed and non-critical data then RAID 0. Idiot proof just use SHR-1 should be ok for most users.

My own ratio is:
Running:Redundant
3:1
4:2
6:2

Vulpix

Reaction score
Can we add some additional infomation on how to access your NAS online as well, I'm struggling with that. Keeps telling me I need to switch on webdav, but I already on liao.

What guide are you using? Link the guide, I see if there are any steps that is missing.

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hrmmm, did you setup the webdav port and stuff also? Worst case scenario just reboot your NAS.

Yup, I switched on webdav. Maybe I will try rebooting everything tonight, the sequence should be modem, router, PC, NAS? or model, router, NAS, pc?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Yup, I switched on webdav. Maybe I will try rebooting everything tonight, the sequence should be modem, router, PC, NAS? or model, router, NAS, pc?

Doesn't matter. Just reboot the NAS, don't disturb your PC and router, because it seems like there's a config issue. If cannot just post here, I personally never encounter any issue before.

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Just reboot the NAS, don't disturb your PC and router, because it seems like there's a config issue. If cannot just post here, I personally never encounter any issue before.

Ok will give it a go when I get home. Need a damn USB 3.0 connection on the NAS man, think gonna take me a while to transfer all my stuff over to the NAS. Should have gotten a 413 instead. :s13:

Vulpix

Reaction score
Ok will give it a go when I get home. Need a damn USB 3.0 connection on the NAS man, think gonna take me a while to transfer all my stuff over to the NAS. Should have gotten a 413 instead. :s13:

413 is PPC based platform, I would not recommend it too. Anyway the pain is only a one time setup. If you don't sway sway kenna 2/4 drive deaths, should be no problem one.

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
413 or 411slim...for siimplee Storage, Movies dlna And Server for people To Download Files From Me

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
413 is PPC based platform, I would not recommend it too. Anyway the pain is only a one time setup. If you don't sway sway kenna 2/4 drive deaths, should be no problem one.

Probably gonna take me a week to sort everything out, I got files all over the shop. After that only keep my ssd and raptors in pc. The rest of the hdd relegate to usb 3.0 external enclosure or the NAS. The file copying is excruciatingly slow when we're talking about 6-7tb.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Probably gonna take me a week to sort everything out, I got files all over the shop. After that only keep my ssd and raptors in pc. The rest of the hdd relegate to usb 3.0 external enclosure or the NAS. The file copying is excruciatingly slow when we're talking about 6-7tb.

You're telling me... Last week 2 of my drives died in my NAS, I had to copy out everything due to that failure because the entire partition corrupted. If 1 drive die maybe still ok, but this time 2 died due to power failure. I should have invested in a UPS earlier, but at least now I learned my lesson and bought one over the week. :s13:

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're telling me... Last week 2 of my drives died in my NAS, I had to copy out everything due to that failure because the entire partition corrupted. If 1 drive die maybe still ok, but this time 2 died due to power failure. I should have invested in a UPS earlier, but at least now I learned my lesson and bought one over the week. :s13:

Please don't poison me into buying another thing. :s22: Damn suay siah two GG at same time.

WhiteFox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now using DS211. Having 2 drives fail at the same time is really out of luck. At the moment now I have a RAID 1 DAS connected to my RAID 1 NAS for nightly backup. If all 4 drives fail at the same time, means I can go buy 4D liao. Which UPS u using for your NAS? Considering to invest one for my NAS in the near future as well

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3:1 is sufficient. One drive fail still can scramble to buy a new replacement. I tio 2 drive fail before, heng still got way to backup, but damn mafan. :(

Sorry, very noob to this. What raid is 3:1? Raid 5 or the SHR?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Please don't poison me into buying another thing. :s22: Damn suay siah two GG at same time.

Now using DS211. Having 2 drives fail at the same time is really out of luck. At the moment now I have a RAID 1 DAS connected to my RAID 1 NAS for nightly backup. If all 4 drives fail at the same time, means I can go buy 4D liao. Which UPS u using for your NAS? Considering to invest one for my NAS in the near future as well

2 drives fail at the same time is quite a rare thing lah. Really just sway sway got power trip at my home out of the blue, switch back on 2 drives uplorry. The drives I'm using also not really built for NAS use anyway, so sway lor.

I got myself an APC UPS, one with a USB connection to the NAS. Mine is APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 but no need get until so hardcore one lah. I have this habit of buy one time buy a good unit so no need to think about it again. Think cost me around 325.

Now I configure my NAS to become the UPS server, so my UPS is connected directly to my NAS, my PC also connected to the UPS, and set it up to ping every 30 minutes since my PC is only switched on when I am at home. So if see my UPS start to kpkb know got power trip can shut down liao. :s13:

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh Ya im Curious Lets say i Transfering From com To nas And from Nas To Com ssd Avg speed Of caviar Red

WhiteFox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My NAS is also acting as my download machine, apart from serving data access to all the systems in my house and remotely.

I kept wondering if separating a downloading NAS would be better.

Say I add a DS112/DS112+ as a downloading machine and maintain my DS211 server to my systems. Think the HDD in DS211 would last longer or just make performance better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.