[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vernon_wmk

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider them bad if they can fix the product. Years ago for my faulty 410j, memory world also had to get the part from taiwan.

2-3weeks turnaround is reasonable though understandably from an end user standpoint that it can seem like ages (it did to me back then).

Unless Synology has a local office here, I don't expect it to be better for any of the 3 distro.

lvlaTr1X

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just did a little real world test of transferring a huge file from my DS413J (About 5gb) connected via homeplug to my PC and the speed isn't looking too good.

On average I am getting 5 - 6.5 mb/s, most of the review I read on DS413J are getting 30mb/s and above.

Any idea why I am getting such sucky transfer speed?

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just did a little real world test of transferring a huge file from my DS413J (About 5gb) connected via homeplug to my PC and the speed isn't looking too good.

On average I am getting 5 - 6.5 mb/s, most of the review I read on DS413J are getting 30mb/s and above.

limitation bro.

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm but would the limitation difference be so big?

I understand I would suffer some speed decrease but to this extent is quite jialat ah :(

homeplugs the most u can hit 30Mbps-50Mbps in real world scenerio.
and if your house only 1-1 homeplugs still okay. if 1-2 or 1-3 then speed will be shared cause that particular homeplug that churn out from that point max is that speed / 3.

lvlaTr1X

Master Member
Reaction score
homeplugs the most u can hit 30Mbps-50Mbps in real world scenerio.
and if your house only 1-1 homeplugs still okay. if 1-2 or 1-3 then speed will be shared cause that particular homeplug that churn out from that point max is that speed / 3.

I see.. Sigh..

Guess when I get my own HDB must have better planning for such things :(

Xenoearth

Reaction score
Hurrah! OpenVPN on my DS1512+ works with my iPhone!

Silly SingTel blocks PPTP VPN over their 'e-ideas' APN, but OpenVPN works just fine!

garagelane

Reaction score
hi all bros, my current situation is very alike to bro trashley currently i am owning a asus n66u router and 412+. My connection is ONT -> n66u -> 412+. As i recently recontract with myrepublic hence gotten a static ip from them too. so i set the static ip on my pc and port forward to my nas ip 192.168.1.xxx using the instruction on portforward.com and also have enable the firewall on my nas, But i dont seems to able to access my photo station on my android phone. what could have went wrong? can bros over here shed some light. TIA.

moozmoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all bros, my current situation is very alike to bro trashley currently i am owning a asus n66u router and 412+. My connection is ONT -> n66u -> 412+. As i recently recontract with myrepublic hence gotten a static ip from them too. so i set the static ip on my pc and port forward to my nas ip 192.168.1.xxx using the instruction on portforward.com and also have enable the firewall on my nas, But i dont seems to able to access my photo station on my android phone. what could have went wrong? can bros over here shed some light. TIA.

Hmm, using your phone, you want to access your NAS from the internet, or from your home LAN?

What app are you using to access your photo station? Is it the synology DS Photo+ app?

garagelane

Reaction score
Hmm, using your phone, you want to access your NAS from the internet, or from your home LAN?

What app are you using to access your photo station? Is it the synology DS Photo+ app?

Hi mooz, my intention was to access the nas outside my home network, anywhere in the public and i was using DS Photo+ app on my android phone. Just a quick update i manage to access the nas using the Photo+ app when connected to my home wifi but once i switch to my 4g network it cant be done:s22: thanks for ur help:)

mrkiasu

Reaction score
homeplug is the main bottleneck for you. I also got that kind of speed with 200mbps homeplug.

unless you plug in direct to the NAS, quite impossible to get anything above 30MB for DS413j.

moozmoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi mooz, my intention was to access the nas outside my home network, anywhere in the public and i was using DS Photo+ app on my android phone. Just a quick update i manage to access the nas using the Photo+ app when connected to my home wifi but once i switch to my 4g network it cant be done:s22: thanks for ur help:)

sorry for the late reply, you can try the following:

1) Set your NAS to a static/fixed ip.
2) Go to your NAS settings > application portal, check what your DS photo (running on the NAS) is using which port
3) Go to your NAS settings > firewall > Allow all ports OR if you feel unsafe, just allow the port that DS photo is running
4) On your router, forward the port your DS photo is using, to your NAS static ip
5) Wait. Your router might take as long as half a day to a full day just to forward your port. For mine (starhub given router), it took half a day just to open and forward the port

6) Check if your port is open, can use this Open Port Check Tool. If it is successful/opened, everything should work.

7a) If you do not have dynamic dns service signed up, the only way you can access DS photo via the internet is to find out what is your ISP given IP address. Key that ip address into your android DS Photo app, along with the port used.

7b) If you have dynamic dns, log into your ddns account, and make sure that the DDNS points to your ip address. In addition, you need to go to your NAS settings > DDNS > insert all your settings.

Anyway if any part of what i say is wrong, please correct me, then at least i know xie xie :)

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the faster way to transfer 2TB data to new 1512+?
Btw, Jus collected mine today!
USB3 if possible.

If u know linux commands, plug in directly to 1 of the bay, ssh in and manually mount it, then manually use command line to copy

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Just added a 3TB hard disk to my array and 48 hours later, still expanding :(

Luckily the array can still online and be used :)

garagelane

Reaction score
sorry for the late reply, you can try the following:

1) Set your NAS to a static/fixed ip.
2) Go to your NAS settings > application portal, check what your DS photo (running on the NAS) is using which port
3) Go to your NAS settings > firewall > Allow all ports OR if you feel unsafe, just allow the port that DS photo is running
4) On your router, forward the port your DS photo is using, to your NAS static ip
5) Wait. Your router might take as long as half a day to a full day just to forward your port. For mine (starhub given router), it took half a day just to open and forward the port

6) Check if your port is open, can use this Open Port Check Tool. If it is successful/opened, everything should work.

7a) If you do not have dynamic dns service signed up, the only way you can access DS photo via the internet is to find out what is your ISP given IP address. Key that ip address into your android DS Photo app, along with the port used.

7b) If you have dynamic dns, log into your ddns account, and make sure that the DDNS points to your ip address. In addition, you need to go to your NAS settings > DDNS > insert all your settings.

Anyway if any part of what i say is wrong, please correct me, then at least i know xie xie :)

Thanks alot mooz for ur help, greatly appreciated, i manage to set up and access my nas le:)

Last edited:

dbchoong

Master Member
Reaction score
Setup a 1812+ with 4pc 3TB for the company. Now on DSM 4.2 running CloudStation, VPN server (pptp and openvpn), phpBB and OpenERP. Registered with Startssl for a SSL cert.

Have not tried out others like Qnap, etc. but I think the Synology is really excellent.

Activated ssh few days back to edit some configs, and a few hours later, the AutoBlock IP blocked out and locked the IP of something from Mexico (or somewhere like that) which tried to login as root.

My passwords are usually strong (> 12 chars/numbers) so no problems. Also disabled ssh service since not using normally and stopped the port forward too.

So - new users - make your admin passwords strong and activate the firewall and auto block. And don't open your ports unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.