NTU/NUS/SMU 2013-2014 Intake

Reo000

Reaction score
This BLOG is very details and i think it is very useful for you which going for SMU-SIS josephine-heng.blogspot.sg/2012/03/smu-interview-questions.html

Can read through here too forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2671

JIAYOU AND ALL THE BEST TO YOU!

Thankyous for the link. wah kaoz think i need to read up on news and practice talking liao

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
Should be able to enter NTU com sci and SMU IS (provided you do well for the interview). Your chance for NUS might be lower since you do not have A.Math. Unless you have A2 for E.Math.

Although he does not have A.Maths, he has taken CACM - Certificate in Advanced Computing Mathematics.

There is a special agreement between Ngee Ann Poly & NUS. Students who have taken CACM will be considered as having met the Add. Maths requirement.

Source : NUS - Office of Admissions : Local Applicants

In fact, the CACM is even better than Add. Maths, as it also allows exemption from the MA1301 Maths Proficiency Test.

han.allanchan

Reaction score
i even havent received my offer letter from both nus and ntu. my cgpa is 3.95 for 6 semesters and also awarded Diploma with merit. They will just reject me just because of i m non-local? i applied the following courses for both nus and ntu.
1st choice: Bioengineering
2nd choice: Mechanical Engineering.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
In fact, the CACM is even better than Add. Maths, as it also allows exemption from the MA1301 Maths Proficiency Test.

So? I dont see how its better. Those who have Add. Maths wouldnt have to take the MA1301 in the first place. So isnt it the same?

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
So? I dont see how its better. Those who have Add. Maths wouldnt have to take the MA1301 in the first place. So isnt it the same?

Wrong...

Students with Add. Maths need to take MA1301 Proficiency Test.
Students with CACM are exempted from said test.

From the link I provided :
Note that students who have fulfilled the Mathematics requirement listed in (i), (ii) or (iii) are required to sit for MA1301 Maths Proficiency Test upon Admission.

iv) Applicants who do not fulfil the Mathematics requirements listed in (i), (ii) and (iii) but have obtained the following Diploma Plus Programme transcript would be deemed as having met the Mathematics requirements for the Computing courses and are not required to sit for MA1301 Maths Proficiency test:

Last edited:

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Orhh. I thought they meant students who do not meet the criterias i through iii. Instead is do meet the criteria.

aretek8

Reaction score
1. CS/IS has very good career prospect. Dun listen to those that tell u how ****ty the pay is in IT industry. Whether u get a gd pay or not, all depends on ur luck. BA is a relatively new major, but personally i feel that there will have a strong demand for this grp of grads in the finance sector.

2. In NUS CS, there are 4 math modules MA1301 Introdutory Math which is waived for JC students who took H2 Math. MA1101R Linear Algebra, MA1521 Calculus for computing, ST2334 Probability and statistics. Math modules in NUS are generally killer mods to computing students.

Thank you for your reply!

(As my reply is quite late, I'm not sure if you will see this, but...) I am interested in CS but I'm afraid that I may not do well... If you don't mind sharing, were you from JC or poly? I was from JC so I am a bit hesitant on taking CS as I feel it may be too difficult. Also, BA sounds interesting to me as well, but it's new so I'm quite hesitant to take it up for fear of inadequacies in the programme (e.g. planning/teaching).

darstars

Reaction score
Hi guys. Fairly new here :) What are my chances of getting into SMU economics since the IGP for the course (3.7) has shot up in 2012? I have entirely lost interest in science and am really interested in pursuing a degree in economics at SMU. Also, is there really a difference in Bachelors (Arts) and Bachelors (Sci)?

Course: Biomedical Science(NP)
Final GPA: 3.6996 (5 sems), 3.625 (final)
L1R4: 10
O level eng: B3
O level A math: A2

Courses applied:
NTU economics
SMU economics, social sciences
NUS FASS.

Courses offered:
NUS FASS (with 5 sem results)

ZOE_26

Reaction score
Hi all,
my lecture wrote a testimonial for me, but i dont know where can i submit it. i applied both part time and full time degree for NTU, NUS only full time.
NTU Part time admission office said they not require testimonial submission.
anyone know how about full time application? only can submit during appeal?

thx~

chewchun

Reaction score
Eh NTU ask me upload
" GCE 'O' Level / SPM Results (all attempts taken)"

Why ah??? My friend all dun need le....
Btw,im from jc.
than how to upload?just take a photo from phone and upload?

Logan_

Reaction score
The reason is because both of u are applying for different admission year. ur coursemate is entering this yr and not 2 yrs later. so dont mistake that he/she is competing with u. Therefore, u actually have priority over foreign students. becuz u will be getting the place 2 yrs b4 any other ppl.

I need to clarify sometime 1st. Both of us are applying for this year admission because I finished my NS before I went into poly, haha.

Therefore don't you find it weird when I have the same gpa as her, applying for the same admission year on the same courses and she got her offer letter much earlier.

The only differences between us is, she has some CCA achievements whereas I have a academic awards for my final year project. Hence the achievements side is the same. She's a Malaysian and I am a Singaporean. That's all the differences.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I need to clarify sometime 1st. Both of us are applying for this year admission because I finished my NS before I went into poly, haha.

Therefore don't you find it weird when I have the same gpa as her, applying for the same admission year on the same courses and she got her offer letter much earlier.

The only differences between us is, she has some CCA achievements whereas I have a academic awards for my final year project. Hence the achievements side is the same. She's a Malaysian and I am a Singaporean. That's all the differences.

Maybe its just that academically, your friend did much better. Is it the EXACT same gpa? I doubt it right? And probably her L1R4 was much better than yours. You mentioned your L1R4 was 25. Thats pretty bad. Imagine if your friends one was 10. Now, who do you think the uni would take in first? The uni also has to fill up the foreign student quota that is 20% of the uni cohort.

Logan_

Reaction score
i even havent received my offer letter from both nus and ntu. my cgpa is 3.95 for 6 semesters and also awarded Diploma with merit. They will just reject me just because of i m non-local? i applied the following courses for both nus and ntu.
1st choice: Bioengineering
2nd choice: Mechanical Engineering.

Hi bro, finally found someone on the same boat as me, haha. I am also waiting anxiously on the offer from NTU. My gpa is 3.82 for 6 semesters and O lvl's sux.

First thing I want to ask you, do you have any cert equivalent to Singapore O lvl's? If yes, what is your grades? My friends from other nationality, having the same gpa, received her offer much earlier then me because she has a SPM cert of 9 A's and 1 B's. Obviously your result is much better then us so applying for ENG course shdn't be a problem.

We can keep in touch with each other. In case whoever gt the offer can notify the other parties.

Logan_

Reaction score
Maybe its just that academically, your friend did much better. Is it the EXACT same gpa? I doubt it right? And probably her L1R4 was much better than yours. You mentioned your L1R4 was 25. Thats pretty bad. Imagine if your friends one was 10. Now, who do you think the uni would take in first? The uni also has to fill up the foreign student quota that is 20% of the uni cohort.

I sure u're right. She has gt SPM which is equivalent to O lvl's. And her SPM is very good. I can't imagine that if I cant get myself a place in NTU Mechanical ENG just because the mistake I made almost 5-6 years ago. **** my life!

han.allanchan

Reaction score
Hi bro, finally found someone on the same boat as me, haha. I am also waiting anxiously on the offer from NTU. My gpa is 3.82 for 6 semesters and O lvl's sux.

First thing I want to ask you, do you have any cert equivalent to Singapore O lvl's? If yes, what is your grades? My friends from other nationality, having the same gpa, received her offer much earlier then me because she has a SPM cert of 9 A's and 1 B's. Obviously your result is much better then us so applying for ENG course shdn't be a problem.

We can keep in touch with each other. In case whoever gt the offer can notify the other parties.

I have high school cert from Myanmar which they said is not recognized. In addition to it , I also got ite cert with gpa 4.00 + COM .

Numemon

Reaction score
No. Ngee Ann, Diploma with Merit in Accountancy.

Good Job clearing Add Maths hurdle over NS.

And I'm surprised u need interview. I think they have records of my previous interviews

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score

And I'm surprised u need interview. I think they have records of my previous interviews

Because you had to go for the Add. Maths test + Interview 2 years ago - that tells me you didn't take it at O's.

I think you're a special case - perhaps your 2011 interview went well - just that Add Maths Test didn't.

Since you've proven yourself with at least a B3, perhaps they skipped over the interview for you. :D

Marcus932605

Reaction score
Course: Accountancy(Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
Final GPA: 3.41 (final)
O level eng: B4

Courses applied:
NTU Accoutancy
SMU Accoutancy

CCA:
Gold

What are the chances for me to get into any of the courses?

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
Course: Accountancy(Ngee Ann Polytechnic)
Final GPA: 3.41 (final)
O level eng: B4

Courses applied:
NTU Accoutancy
SMU Accoutancy

CCA:
Gold

What are the chances for me to get into any of the courses?

Unfortunately, rather bleak by your GPA.

Did you apply through Discretionary Admission ?

Xiaomalu

Reaction score
Hi all,
my lecture wrote a testimonial for me, but i dont know where can i submit it. i applied both part time and full time degree for NTU, NUS only full time.
NTU Part time admission office said they not require testimonial submission.
anyone know how about full time application? only can submit during appeal?

thx~

FYI, You can only submit your testimonial for appeal purpose. Unless you are under the NAA/ discretionary section, then they will require your appraisal to submit the appraisal form online.

The link for NTU NAA/ discretionary testimonial submission is here :)
ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_files/NAA.pdf

NUS i not sure. Btw both NAA admission for poly candidates have alr closed.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.