Microsoft Surface

lexmarq

Reaction score
Hey ppl, not sure if any one of you guys experience this. My Surface RT is showing the start screen with 4 rows of tiles, mimicking the full HD start screen on Surface Pro. Then awhile later, no more. why is this so? I think the 4 rows looks good! haha

Edit: Is a technical glitch with the touch cover, but still it is cool! haha no permanent solution to keep it 4 rows , just sharing haha

This happens if you turn on the power button with the touch or type cover closed. (Turn on as in turn on, not resume from standby)

A technical glitch like you said, haha. I actually find it quite small for my liking though.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
I read very bad opinions about Surface RT online

Seems like the future of RT is bleak

Yeah, yeah, android is the best. Android is not laggy, Android is so damn open, Android is free of security issues, Android is the best ecosystem with many blown up apps from phone.

Got it.

Hey ppl, not sure if any one of you guys experience this. My Surface RT is showing the start screen with 4 rows of tiles, mimicking the full HD start screen on Surface Pro. Then awhile later, no more. why is this so? I think the 4 rows looks good! haha

Edit: Is a technical glitch with the touch cover, but still it is cool! haha no permanent solution to keep it 4 rows , just sharing haha

Its possible to have it permanently via Registry edit.

Enable:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
"MonitorSize"=12.1"

Disable:
Code:

"MonitorSize"=11.1"

Save the following code as .reg file, then run it & restart your Surface

Microsoft should have gone with a Qualcomm chip I think, rather than with nVidia's Tegra 3. Display-wise a 1080p screen like the Pro would have been good, along with support for a stylus.

I find the stylus an awkward device to clip onto the Surface Pro.... instead of doing it in the same style as the keyboard, a slot like how the Galaxy Note does it would have been a better approach I think.

For a pure tablet I still think the iPad gives the best experience, visually and form factor wise. You lose the customizability of an Android device, but that's rather subjective and for most people I think customizability is less critical.

This, of course, excludes the 7-8" market, where things are fuzzier and Apple's iPad mini doesn't really dominate as much as the full sized iPad.

You can opt for Dell's RT tablet instead, if you want Qualcomm S4 :) Its pretty cheap, at around 350 USD for 64GB version without the keyboard.

As for customizability, I doubt the average consumer would even bother what the so-called "tech-pros" (Android fans) do like changing themes to make the entire OS look stupid. I've seen a lot of Android tablets looking like crap, and some even have Comic Sans font which makes things horrible to read at all.
However, if one really wants to customize it. Its not impossible on the RT.
Except for customizing the Metro UI home screen to what you want for now (colour and background is possible via settings/registry), everything else is possible on Surface RT.
It still features a full Windows 8 operating system, as long as the Win32 APIs are still here. It is possible to port any tweaks/customizing option to RT from W8 x86/x64.

Last edited:

kazxenon

Reaction score
I read very bad opinions about Surface RT online

Seems like the future of RT is bleak

I think the main problem of RT is that it shares the Windows name, and when people think of windows, they think of the full windows. And when you tell them you cannot install full windows apps, it just makes them hesitate, especially when you know there are alternatives that are also tablets that run full windows out there.

Even as a Mobile OS, what matters most is the availability of apps and it has a weaker library compared to Android/iOS.

But don't forget that its still very new compared to Android/iOS, the number of apps will grow, but it will take time. Microsoft Office is very well done on the RT, a pretty good example of the potential it holds.

In fact, i would say i prefer the Metro UI compared to iOS/Android, swiping to switch between apps, swiping down to end apps just feels more natural and intuitive to me. However it requires a bit of a learning curve, most would fall back straight into the familiar desktop mode, but the desktop mode is better used with a mouse and KB or at least a digitizer/active stylus.

Also, I really like the hardware for the Surface RT, the inbuilt kickstand and touch/type cover are incredibly convenient and light. :D

Last edited:

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also, I really like the hardware for the Surface RT, the inbuilt kickstand and touch/type cover are incredibly convenient and light. :D

isn't the Asus RT better? lighter, same specs. only thing is no proper light keyboard cover. but for the tablet itself, i feel Asus RT is better to hold.

kazxenon

Reaction score
isn't the Asus RT better? lighter, same specs. only thing is no proper light keyboard cover. but for the tablet itself, i feel Asus RT is better to hold.

I prefer the build quality of the Surface, the Asus Vivotab RT gives me a very plasticky feel. Of course the trade off is that the Vivotab RT is lighter in weight, which I believe feels better to hold for a longer time. But when you compare the tabs with their keyboards, the Surface is quite a bit thinner BUT the vivotab kb comes with battery too.

Don't forget the screen for the Vivotab RT is really good and brighter too, but I find it more reflective than the Surface though.

Spoiled for choices eh? So many on the market now :s22:

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah lao eh i not here to shoot microsoft and be a android fanboy leh!

i wanted to buy the Surface RT to play play
Because i tried it at challenger and it feels like a Windows OS laptop in a tablet form

but research further and read read online, seems like RT is not good/popular choice

Why Windows RT is hurtling toward disaster | PCWorld

Editorial: Windows RT is Microsoft's biggest mess - Neowin

How Microsoft Can Save Windows RT, Surface RT | CIO Blogs

Microsoft's ARM blunder: 7 reasons why Windows RT was DOA ? The Register

I thot it can be a "tablet that works like a PC" for my wifey
she's always surfing flash sites or some streaming video websites

some of these sites/videos doesn't play on her ipad/note2

kazxenon

Reaction score

Because i tried it at challenger and it feels like a Windows OS laptop in a tablet form

but research further and read read online, seems like RT is not good/popular choice

Yep, RT doesnt stand by itself, its basically a hammered down windows that can only run ARM based apps, it wouldnt't really run close to a pc experience.

I would recommend your wife to stay off RT products though, IE for RT has limited flash support based on a white list, which means those lists that they whitelisted can activate flash. There's are some workaround it though.

I think your best bet would be a Atom based tablet, maybe a ME400C or a W510?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Win RT is MS insurance policy in case ARM becomes more popular than Intel. So now MS Windows can run on Arm-based & x86-based CPUs. The Store will fill up slowly but that's fine because most people will be using desktop software in the near-term anyway.

MS don't need RT to be an overnight success. They are securing the future for the next few years because as more apps become available for Metro/Modern, both Win8 & RT benefits. All these articles talking doom & gloom are just too early. Come back in 2 years then we talk... ;)

echoblue

Reaction score
Yep, RT doesnt stand by itself, its basically a hammered down windows that can only run ARM based apps, it wouldnt't really run close to a pc experience.

I would recommend your wife to stay off RT products though, IE for RT has limited flash support based on a white list, which means those lists that they whitelisted can activate flash. There's are some workaround it though.

I believe MS already lifted the limited flash support, My RT already received the second update (pertaining to FLASH) and thats suppose to remove the WHITELIST.

echoblue

Reaction score

Can you post some sites that can't play flash? I'll try it on my updated RT

echoblue

Reaction score
How do you change the registry and I believe you can easily switch back from on and off right?

Yeah, yeah, android is the best. Android is not laggy, Android is so damn open, Android is free of security issues, Android is the best ecosystem with many blown up apps from phone.

Got it.

Its possible to have it permanently via Registry edit.

Enable:
Code:

"MonitorSize"=12.1"

Disable:
Code:

"MonitorSize"=11.1"

Save the following code as .reg file, then run it & restart your Surface

You can opt for Dell's RT tablet instead, if you want Qualcomm S4 :) Its pretty cheap, at around 350 USD for 64GB version without the keyboard.

As for customizability, I doubt the average consumer would even bother what the so-called "tech-pros" (Android fans) do like changing themes to make the entire OS look stupid. I've seen a lot of Android tablets looking like crap, and some even have Comic Sans font which makes things horrible to read at all.
However, if one really wants to customize it. Its not impossible on the RT.
Except for customizing the Metro UI home screen to what you want for now (colour and background is possible via settings/registry), everything else is possible on Surface RT.
It still features a full Windows 8 operating system, as long as the Win32 APIs are still here. It is possible to port any tweaks/customizing option to RT from W8 x86/x64.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i actually had the Asus RT, then went to Asus Atom and back to RT again.

Initially, i found the RT lacking in terms of installing apps from non-windows store. Got the Atom and while can install anything, the speed is rather slow, plus it's abit thicker and heavier. In the end, went back to RT cos i figured i could live without those non-windows store apps.

really can't say RT its a failure cos for most ppl, it's usable. i would advise skip the Atom and go for i5 cos the full windows os struggles on Atom. so its either Rt for light users, or i5 for those who must have the full features

kazxenon

Reaction score
I believe MS already lifted the limited flash support, My RT already received the second update (pertaining to FLASH) and thats suppose to remove the WHITELIST.

Nice to know that! Looks like its a viable choice now if you wanna use Flash :D

How is the performance for flash btw?

Initially, i found the RT lacking in terms of installing apps from non-windows store. Got the Atom and while can install anything, the speed is rather slow, plus it's abit thicker and heavier. In the end, went back to RT cos i figured i could live without those non-windows store apps.

really can't say RT its a failure cos for most ppl, it's usable. i would advise skip the Atom and go for i5 cos the full windows os struggles on Atom. so its either Rt for light users, or i5 for those who must have the full features

RT: Less apps, slimmest, good price point, good performance, good batt life

Atom: All windows applications, slim, good price point(certain models), slow performance, good batt life

Core i Series: All windows applications, thick, higher price point than atom, good performance, ok batt life.

I don't think that RT is a failure though, like i mentioned, the gestures and UI is one of the more logical and enjoyable ones i used. MS just need to push their marketing and double up their efforts to make more developers interested in the RT ecosystem. Its actually a OS with a lot of potential.

lexmarq

Reaction score
Saw a female student in my LT who was using a surface Rt with blue touch cover, secretly smiling to myself as I took out my own surface :s8:

Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
How do you change the registry and I believe you can easily switch back from on and off right?

Copy the code that I have posted > Open Notepad > Save it as .reg file > run it :)

Intel needs something in between :p That'll make it perfect for a real tablet-ultrabook combo.
Atom is too weak for the general task while 'I' series is too powerful and power hungry.

I might be selling my Pro soon.. Surface RT and a laptop is enough for now, waiting for the next version of Pro with better battery life on Intel Haswell :)

Last edited:

lexmarq

Reaction score
Anyone with windows 8 or RT can help me check the messaging app, I am having this problem right now -->

When I type something into the chat, the chat would repeat whatever I type.
For eg.
Me: Test
Me: Test (the 2nd test would be inserted by itself)
Me: Having this problem.
Me: Having this problem. (the 2nd "having this problem" would be inserted by itself)

This happens to me as well in the messaging bubble in Microsoft page like outlook, skydrive etc.

The person won't receive the double message, but it's irritating that the messages are repeated at your side. Anyone can help me check if they have the problem?

EDIT: The happens when I talked to someone who is online on FBchat in the messaging app.

lemon93

Reaction score
does anyone here knows if sim lim square sells surface pro?
was thinking of getting a surface for my birthday and was wondering if singapore have any store that sells surface pro.
other than sim lim square, does any one know of any other place that sells the pro version?

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Anyone with windows 8 or RT can help me check the messaging app, I am having this problem right now -->

When I type something into the chat, the chat would repeat whatever I type.
For eg.
Me: Test
Me: Test (the 2nd test would be inserted by itself)
Me: Having this problem.
Me: Having this problem. (the 2nd "having this problem" would be inserted by itself)

This happens to me as well in the messaging bubble in Microsoft page like outlook, skydrive etc.

The person won't receive the double message, but it's irritating that the messages are repeated at your side. Anyone can help me check if they have the problem?

EDIT: The happens when I talked to someone who is online on FBchat in the messaging app.

I got the same issue on my Surface, desktop & laptop too.

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Copy the code that I have posted > Open Notepad > Save it as .reg file > run it :)

Intel needs something in between :p That'll make it perfect for a real tablet-ultrabook combo.
Atom is too weak for the general task while 'I' series is too powerful and power hungry.

I might be selling my Pro soon.. Surface RT and a laptop is enough for now, waiting for the next version of Pro with better battery life on Intel Haswell :)

Hmm...makes sense. Maybe i3?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.