NUS ppl lip lai - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty89

Reaction score
doing sto tutorial now :(

the time i spent on the sto tutorial is probably about the same as the time i spent on my 4 other tutorials COMBINED.. and the saddest part is, at the end of it, i still couldnt solve most of the questions. :sad::sad:

I feel u man. Though i did not take sto this sem coz i heard nx sem stats dept shld be easier. But then i seen alot of my frenz struggling with this mod and that yr3 seniors complaining that they buang it coz of that. Lol scared of taking it nx sem also liao and yet it's a core mod. :(

Lol sia la. almost cant recognise u sia. why u put doraemon wallpaper? u jewel's bf ar?

SoriyaGTR34

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok so drop and use the value 1.8 ?

hmmm...I checked the 2nd edition also say drop malta...but I dunno why got difference...I think maintain as 1.8 lo...since denis also put drop malta de data le...

Alpaca

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm...I checked the 2nd edition also say drop malta...but I dunno why got difference...I think maintain as 1.8 lo...since denis also put drop malta de data le...

yea thats why I confuse ... I even dwl the growth data from second edition to tripple check and still get 1.8 :sad: send chiu late in the nite ... watching soccer later ....

SoriyaGTR34

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea thats why I confuse ... I even dwl the growth data from second edition to tripple check and still get 1.8 :sad: send chiu late in the nite ... watching soccer later ....

:s13::s13: whr u go dl sia...rofl...I tried to dl they say need login...

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel u man. Though i did not take sto this sem coz i heard nx sem stats dept shld be easier. But then i seen alot of my frenz struggling with this mod and that yr3 seniors complaining that they buang it coz of that. Lol scared of taking it nx sem also liao and yet it's a core mod. :(

Lol sia la. almost cant recognise u sia. why u put doraemon wallpaper? u jewel's bf ar?

who is jewel lol. onli jewel's bf can like doraemon meh :(

yoyobarnie

Reaction score
yoyobarnie wrote:
Hi, recently I am in a lvl 4000 module with many graduate students and exchange students. (or so I suspect.)

People with email starting with a01 are master students or not? (most year 4 students should be matriculated in 2009)

My question is, will grad students and exchange students be marked or graded on the same scale? (there are less than 30 students, so probably no bell curve).

Cos, it seems extremely unfair to do so, as the undergrads will get owned.
and I am not even aiming for an A, just a B+ or B will do, but the grad and exchange students are dominating the class.

sorry, back to this old topic, just a bit nervous, can't stop thinking abt it.
Cos the teacher has released the mean score of the test, it is very scary. It is pulled high high by the master's students I suppose. I don't know the exact distribution, but by some guesswork, I estimate I may be at the bottom 25% of the class.

I wonder, for the bottom 25% of the class, can get what grade? Can get B- or not? This is a module in the science faculty btw, if it matters at all.

Last edited:

tehhalia

Master Member
Reaction score
Cos the teacher has released the mean score of the test, it is very scary. It is pulled high high by the master's students I suppose. I don't know the exact distribution, but by some guesswork, I estimate I may be at the bottom 25% of the class.

I wonder, for the bottom 25% of the class, can get what grade? Can get B- or not? This is a module in the science faculty btw, if it matters at all.

:(:(:(:(:(

yoshi_fanboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It is an honours year module as you have mentioned earlier right?

Maybe I shall give my two cents worth of opinion on this:

Last year, when I took MA4247 Complex Analysis II under Prof Shen Weixiao (when I was in year 3 by the way), he used to release both the mean and the median for his 2 mid-term tests, as well as the score distribution). He has mentioned before that the department will release the grade profile of the class (meaning what is the average CAP of the class, etc.), so that he would need to adjust the grades given to the class according to the grade profile of the students, and the distribution of the final scores.

This means that if your cohort is really really strong, like for example, CAP all above 4.5, then fret not. It is really hard to get a bad grade like B- or B unless you really buang really hard as compared to the rest of the cohort. Meaning that, if you can stay close to the chasing pack, you should end up with a decent grade of B+(A- or A is not uncommon too). In fact, for both of my undergraduate topics modules MA4291 and MA4292, I would not say that I have done too well in the module but I ended up with A- and A nonetheless.

That said, if there are graduate students in the class, it might be hard to score too well in the module, i.e. don't expect to get an A+ or A too easily unless you are really imba. True story - I took MA4262 in my year 2 semester 1, and end up getting an A- for it despite getting 36/40 for the midterms and doing all except one question in the finals. There are 12 graduate students in the 40-strong class for your information by the way.

So in short, don't worry too much if you are taking a module with a lot of imba people; the lecturer will factor that into account.

tehhalia

Master Member
Reaction score
department will release the grade profile of the class (meaning what is the average CAP of the class, etc.), so that he would need to adjust the grades given to the class according to the grade profile of the students, and the distribution of the final scores.

does it apply for level 3k mods?

i think my cohort 80% phd student 19% master student and 0.9% honors year student (suspect is FCH) and i'm the remaining 0.1% and probably the only undergrad.

:(:(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.