WEB HOSTING COMPANY TO RECOMMEND!

expertleong

Reaction score
Amazon AWS free 1 year

If you are comfortable with setting up the software (e.g. Java, tomcat, ...) in Linux, you can consider AWS. It (micro instance) is free for 1 year. I am using it for PHP, but you can run almost anything on it.

deranged

Reaction score
try vodien!! it has the best customer service of all the web hosting companies i tried.. all my issues, be it restoring a remote backup of missing files or upgrading of plans etc are done super quickly.. they have 24/7 support too - once i had an issue at 3am in the morning, by the time i went to bed at 5.30am, everything was settled.. kind of hard to beat this kind of service!!

RockyHeights

Reaction score
Vodien was good. But since a year ago, the server became slower and slower. They're becoming overpopulated.

NSforSG

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
up this thread because i hope you guys can advise me which web hosting (singapore one) support ruby on rails. thanks!

expertleong

Reaction score
I don't think there is any dedicated ROR hosting in SG. As long as you have a VPS server, you can run anything you want, including ROR.

If you are new to web hosting and do not want to spend too much time on sysadmin, Heroku is one of the best choice. Deployment is super easy.

NSforSG

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any dedicated ROR hosting in SG. As long as you have a VPS server, you can run anything you want, including ROR.

If you are new to web hosting and do not want to spend too much time on sysadmin, Heroku is one of the best choice. Deployment is super easy.

thanks. by the way, you mean if the hosting company owns a VPS server? if that's the case, i need to depend on what they put inside the server right? or you mean i can have the authority to install anything i want, even though the physical server is in the company itself?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks. by the way, you mean if the hosting company owns a VPS server? if that's the case, i need to depend on what they put inside the server right? or you mean i can have the authority to install anything i want, even though the physical server is in the company itself?

Go try AWS

expertleong

Reaction score
VPS gives you root access, meaning you can install anything you want (include Rails), and you have to install them yourself.

I think the decision factors are: what you want and what you know. If you are not familiar with sysadmin and have no time to learn it then PaaS like Heroku will be a better solution for you. If want custom software and configuration and you know how to do it, then VPS will be a better solution for you.

expertleong

Reaction score
NSforSG might not know what VPS is. So AWS might be too complicated for him/her. Shared hosting or PaaS solutions like Heroku will be easier for him/her.

NSforSG

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
VPS gives you root access, meaning you can install anything you want (include Rails), and you have to install them yourself.

I think the decision factors are: what you want and what you know. If you are not familiar with sysadmin and have no time to learn it then PaaS like Heroku will be a better solution for you. If want custom software and configuration and you know how to do it, then VPS will be a better solution for you.
oh.. i wanna try to host my site with RoR because it's easier, as compared to PHP or ASP. (or maybe it's not? haha...) but from what you say, i think the steps of setting up the RoR environment seem tedious, if the web hosting company decided not to do it for me. then i might as well ask them to give apache and i just stick to PHP. haha.

Go try AWS
okay, i will check it out. thanks!

expertleong

Reaction score
Both Openshift and AWS offer could services. Openshift is operated by Redhat, AWS is offered by Amazon.

You might be looking at too many thing at the same time, that will confuse you. First decide on the programming language first. If you are already a programmer, Ruby/PHP/.NET are equally easy to learn. Just pick one language and settle for a shared hosting (e.g. AppFog, Heroku, GAE) first. Concentrate on building awesome apps, leave the hosting and sysadmin to the experts.

NSforSG

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both Openshift and AWS offer could services. Openshift is operated by Redhat, AWS is offered by Amazon.

You might be looking at too many thing at the same time, that will confuse you. First decide on the programming language first. If you are already a programmer, Ruby/PHP/.NET are equally easy to learn. Just pick one language and settle for a shared hosting (e.g. AppFog, Heroku, GAE) first. Concentrate on building awesome apps, leave the hosting and sysadmin to the experts.

thanks for your advice! i did a website @ openshift, i like their free hosting. but the premium can be crazy if i need more data storage. that's why i'm thinking of moving away from openshift.

since AWS = openshift, i may try AWS. and like what you advise, i will leave the hosting and sysadmin to the experts. haha. :)

expertleong

Reaction score
AWS EC2 requires you to setup Linux and install the necessary software. I am suggesting you avoid AWS and go for services like AppFog/Heroku/GAE.

masterstroller

Reaction score
Been using godaady vps for 3 years... Cheapest ive found so far.. Stick with the windows for easier upkeep. The servers seem to get reset like once in 3 months. For windows not much effect. For linux it clears the /etc/Resolv.conf deleting your dns server list.. Preventing your mailing service from sending out mails.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AWS EC2 requires you to setup Linux and install the necessary software. I am suggesting you avoid AWS and go for services like AppFog/Heroku/GAE.

Have you look at Elastic Beanstalk ? However if it is about ROR then it's not found natively in beanstalk, if really it's required, nothing is stopping you from having one in AWS. Look at http://bitnami.com/stack/ruby

However, curiously, or in fact, it's a pity wondering when it becomes installing linux and applications in it becomes a system engineer job or the infra team job, and one actually need an expert for such stuffs ? So a software developer shouldn't be proficient in such tasks ? No wonder the IT standard in this part of the world is going downhill....

Last edited:

stupidbodo

Reaction score
I think overall it depends on what you are trying to achieve. I see many misconception that you only need to know how to write features to build a web app, unfortunately, that is not the case.

Writing a web app is easy, but writing a web app that can scale efficiently is really hard.

Suppose a new developer comes in and wants to build a new groupon clone. He picked up lessons from codecademy and begins writing his app. Few months later he finished his app and deploys it.

What is misleading is that many people thinks that once they finished writing the app they are done. Once your site turns operational and hot that's where the trouble comes in. Queries that normally takes sub milli seconds to work on your pc is now running minutes on your site.

How you write your code(whether is it spaghetti or course meal), how you deploy it(how many clusters, how many database servers, how your queries get passed) all these matters alot if you want to go big.

It is best you think of deployment in long term. I give you a very good scenario if you are going hosted and your site gets so awesome that you want to do some data analysis from your users, you decided to deploy a data warehousing system. You begin looking at options and found this bloody cheap and awesome AWS Redshift that costs only $1000/yr/tb (Amazon Redshift) . But when you read the faq, you realized that
in order to import your data you need to either use S3 to do it free or sent it via data pipeline. If you intend to use data pipeline this deal doesn't seem so great anymore as you will need to incur additional expense.

Every vendor has their pros and cons, I don't support any because I use it based on what I am trying to do. Heroku is good because it is easy to deploy and once you scale out you don't have to waste so much time thinking about how to configure multiple servers. Some people might say its expensive but depending on your case, you might saved it on labor costs.

I am a wheel dealer, what I do is I get a dirt cheap hourly priced hosted or cloud service like AWS for development (why aren't you using that? heck you can do all sorts of funny things).

BUT when it comes to real deployment, I make sure I planned carefully so that I don't incur so much technical debt (Technical debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) .

Unfortunately if you want to build a successful app, you have to at least understand what is the best way to deploy your site. Okay, back to writing code.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.