Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
When you're watching under Ch 29, there is a scrolling text telling you to tune into Ch 38.

Old: Ch 29 (now left with black screen liao)
New: Ch 38
Thanks for helping, but you misunderstood me.

I wrote to MediaCorp in Jan this year to find out on which chan/frequency they will be trasmitting the new signals...

New signals means dvb-t2 signals to be transmitted from end of the year, not existing dvb-t signals.

Soul77

Reaction score
look for this logo (that's if you can find it anyway)
Digital.jpg

DigitalSS.jpg

Digital Broadcasting Roadmap

lego666

Reaction score
Am noob to all these, hope can get some layman guidance.

Was intending to install 2 additional cable points to the 2 bedrooms SOON, as the old folks are shifting in and they need to watch free channels.

If I read correctly here, cable point would be incapable to view free-to-air channels in time to come, unless I have a starhub set top box?

I also read abt antennas and dvb t, how would the sequence of transmission be like? antenna receives signal and transmit to dvb t then to TV hdmi port? Confused...

Also, what would happen to starhub paid TV? I would think starhub paid TV would still be running on cable point in the foreseeable future?

NY__chickenpie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MDA should upgrade all HDB to receive DVB-T2 on the rooftop antenna. imagine 21 century still have 19th century antenna.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like still quite a number of gung-ho supporters for our local mediacrap content. The only good thing is that they don't charge tv license fees for that junk anymore :D

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
MediaCorp Digital TV - Technical Guides

Changes to MediaCorp digital channels in DVB-T platform

To facilitate the eventual rollout of DVB-T2 in December 2013, there is a need to change the transmission signal in the DVB-T platform on UHF Channel 29 (538MHz). As the change will take effect from 12 March 2013, DVB-T users will need to retune their digital set-top box to UHF Channel 38 (610MHz) with immediate effect to continue watching the digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia. HD5 and the rest of the channels broadcast in analogue are not affected. MediaCorp digital channels will no longer be available in DVB-T platform once the DVB-T2 deployments are in place.

From 16 April 2013 onwards

The digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia are transmitting on Channel 29 (538MHz) from 7pm to 11pm
The digital channel of Channel 5, 8, Channel NewsAsia and HD5 are transmitting on Channel 38 (610MHz) as per programme schedule.

From 23 April 2013 onwards

The digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia will no longer be available on Channel 29 (538MHz)
The digital channel of Channel 5, 8, Channel NewsAsia and HD5 are transmitting on Channel 38 (610MHz) as per programme schedule.
:s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@Kiwi8

Thanks for sharing.

MediaCorp Digital TV - Technical Guides

Changes to MediaCorp digital channels in DVB-T platform

To facilitate the eventual rollout of DVB-T2 in December 2013, there is a need to change the transmission signal in the DVB-T platform on UHF Channel 29 (538MHz). As the change will take effect from 12 March 2013, DVB-T users will need to retune their digital set-top box to UHF Channel 38 (610MHz) with immediate effect to continue watching the digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia. HD5 and the rest of the channels broadcast in analogue are not affected. MediaCorp digital channels will no longer be available in DVB-T platform once the DVB-T2 deployments are in place.

Implications: all current tv sets with dvb-t tuners and dvb-t set-top box/card will be useless for the new platform.

Either buy the new dvb-t2 set-top box/card or change to a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner to continue watching digital channels.

Last edited:

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Kiwi8

Thanks for sharing.

Implications: all current tv sets with dvb-t tuners and dvb-t set-top box/card will be useless for the new platform.

Either buy the new dvb-t2 set-top box/card or change to a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner to continue watching digital channels.
Means those current dm boxes can't be used anymore?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
@Kiwi8

Thanks for sharing.

I actually wanted to comment, why I got black for signals on 538Mhz from time to time... technical guide explained that clearly that it's from 7pm to 11pm only. Anyway it's going to end on 23 April 2013, after which the only DVB-T channels receivable will be the ones on 610Mhz.

tan1688

Reaction score
DVB-T2 receivers e.g Humax Fox Pro T2 is quite expensive about 150pounds.
The DVB-T2 tuners are called freeview receivers at UK.

I doubt DVB-T2 will take off in singapore the receivers are
very expensive. Humax DVB-T2 are based on Broadcom chipsets,
though a new single all in one chipset with integrated tuner is available recently.
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12

probably a nation wide set top box is being planned
at $60-$100 see media corp faq point 9

Last edited:

weap0nx

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok having read the discussion on frequency and antennas, here's my take,
perhaps the broadcast signal is too weak or perhaps the tolerance for attenuation is tighter on the DVB-T2 spec which means some antennas do not not cut it when it comes to amplification.

For analog if the signal is weak, you just get increasing noise and static. For digital if the signal is weak to a certain point, as good as no signal.

But technically it should be able to receive the transmission...

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

though a new single all in one chipset with integrated tuner is available recently.
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12

When technology is new. It is always expensive.
Just like early day of LCD TV!

sunsetbay

Reaction score

40nm BCM3461 19Mar12

there are many ebay sellers, selling much cheaper that tat~ S$60 can get liao~ :s22:

tan1688

Reaction score
to correct, the technology is not new, UK was using it back in 2010 it may be new to sg

those ebay $60 dollar dvb-t2 receivers have funny problems
hdmi output do not work, OSD in russian, no firmware updates
available, Standard definition supported only, HD not supported
though it says HD support,

the branded DVB-T2 recivers such as humax fox pro t2 have many features,
a) have two/three tuners which allows PVR recording of 1/2 other channels
whilst one is being watched with connection to USB harddrive,
b) 100Mbit/s/ ethernet port allows samba/cifs file sharing able to play direct
from other network user
c) wireless 802.11 capability through an additional wireless dongle on USB
d) optical digital output

something like a media player, like australian astone media players with dvb-t
receivers

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
look for this logo (that's if you can find it anyway)
Digital.jpg

DigitalSS.jpg

Digital Broadcasting Roadmap
... Humax DVB-T2 are based on Broadcom chipsets,
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12
The sg technical specification for dvb-t2 Integrated Receiver Decorder has been revised (Mar 2013) - details available from link provided by moderator in post #3 of this thread.

Part of the changes involves:
§ 5 of Part A of the TS DVB-T2 IRD specifies that the frontend/tuner shall comply with the Layer 1 (“L1”) signalling requirements of the DVB-T2 baseline system defined in the ETSI EN 302 755 V1.3.1, which includes a feature for scrambling of the L1 data...this version of the DVB-T2 L1 signalling which has only been released by ETSI in April 2012...

Source: http://www.mda.gov.sg/Reports/Consu...arification Issued to IDAMDA TS DVBT2 IRD.pdf (also available from link provided in post #3)
To satisfy the requirement of the revised spec, we probably need chips newer than the BCM3461 which was officially announced on 19 Mar 2012.

If MediaCorp choose to implement this feature for power efficiency and other purposes to scrambling of L1 data, perhaps current dvb-t2 decoder may not work.

The following gives an idea of how soon equipment with certification to local standard (as shown in the logos above) will be available :
EFFECTIVE DATE OF EQUIPMENT CONFORMANCE WITH TS DVB-T2 IRD

To address manufacturers’ concern on the implementation timeline for equipment conformity to the TS DVB-T2 IRD, IDA will defer the effective date for enforcement from 1 April 13 to 1 November 13 while equipment registration of DVB-T2 IRDs/receivers with IDA may proceed after 1 April 2013.

Source: http://www.mda.gov.sg/Reports/Consu...arification Issued to IDAMDA TS DVBT2 IRD.pdf
Buyers obtaining such decoders from online sources such as ebay may have to be prepared for disappointment.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok having read the discussion on frequency and antennas, here's my take,
perhaps the broadcast signal is too weak or perhaps the tolerance for attenuation is tighter on the DVB-T2 spec which means some antennas do not not cut it when it comes to amplification.

Both local available signal and design of tv antennae, plus other factors, do play their parts in the tv reception. But any antenna capable of receiving analogue tv will work just as well for dvb-t or dvb-t2 receiving transmission in the same channel.

Talking about tv antennae, there are Band I and III (VHF) and Band IV and V (UHF), each type designed to work their best in the designated bands. But there are some that do not work as claimed (as usual as in other products). I once had a Japanese made Band III antenna which did not give me chan 12 reception. On checking I realised Japan was on the ntsc system. Their chan 12 frequency band is about the same as our pal chan 11. That explained why it could not receive our local chan 12.

Edit: One more thing. Analogue tv needs minimum 60dB signal strength and shadow free signal. Digital tv only needs 48dB and the signal need not be so clean as the digital format has built in feature to eliminate ghost. Overall digital tv is more tolerant of signal qualities.

Last edited:

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok... I have been googling around and still can't find an answer... Hope can find here...

You see, I bought a new SMART TV last Friday, and I forgot 1 important factor I should look out for - FULL HD.

I bought a Toshiba 32PX200E for $488 at the Audio House (they were having their 32nd Anniversary Sale, and since sg is going digital, forcing us to buy digital tvs, and I am doing a major makeover for my room, so I grabbed the chance to buy a new tv)

But after googling, i realized that my tv is HD Ready, not a full HD. And my brother helped test my tv, nothing that unlike the tv in his room, mine cannot switch to HD Channel (though he consoled me by saying that at least my screen display is better than his on analog channel)

Googling taught be only the diferences between both tvs, but never really tell me whether can HD Ready tv watch HD Channels. Some results say that HD Ready TVs can watch HD, just that they will be adjusted to the resolution the tv screen is capable of.

And hearing my brother comment that I cannot watch HD channel on my tv, I am becoming skeptical.

So does this mean my tv cannot watch tv channels when Singapore becomes full digital? Do I have to fork out another few hundred just to buy the DV Setup Box thingee in order to watch Digital signalled channels on this TV?

Sorry ah been living in CRT age for decades cos I poor... So yeah... 1st time being an LED tv owner... +_+

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@eeLsinneD

What I found from the Toshiba website about your tv set is that it has no digital tuner! That's the reason why you are unable to tune to the digital channels, even if your wall socket or own antenna has the digital signal.

Not to worry as you can buy the new set top box to watch digital tv, in the coming new format - dvb-t2 when they are available. At least you didn't waste money on the present dvb-t tuner which would be obsolete come end of the year when the new dvb-t2 format takes over.

"Full HD" or "HD ready" are just part of tv set's native resolution. It has nothing to do with the tv programme's hd format. Any digital tv programme broadcast in full hd will still be displayed on your 1366 x 768 screen, when you have the necessary tuner.

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@eeLsinneD

What I found from the Toshiba website about your tv set is that it has no digital tuner! That's the reason why you are unable to tune to the digital channels, even if your wall socket or own antenna has the digital signal.

Not to worry as you can buy the new set top box to watch digital tv, in the coming new format - dvb-t2 when they are available. At least you didn't waste money on the present dvb-t tuner which would be obsolete come end of the year when the new dvb-t2 format takes over.

"Full HD" or "HD ready" are just part of tv set's native resolution. It has nothing to do with the tv programme's hd format. Any digital tv programme broadcast in full hd will still be displayed on your 1366 x 768 screen, when you have the necessary tuner.

Thanks alot!
So all I'll have to do is buy myself a digital tuner, huh?

By the way does the tuner work on CRT tvs? If not will have to spend money get a new tv for the living room... =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.