The Watch Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBenDan

Reaction score
Ya I know the price difference is a lot. The first criteria is to get an upgrade that is worth the value. This is why I am comparing the "made" first. Then price comes into play.

If you can afford, definitely the portuguese automatic. It is one of the most popular model that houses an in-house movement with the pellaton winding system. Alot of portuguese chrono owners out there "upgraded" to portuguese auto after some time. However, if you are an accuracy freak, the 50000s calibre is not for you. Portuguese chrono's accuracy wins hands down.

That said, its interesting that you consider a pilot as well along with the portuguese. The pilot and portuguese have totally different aesthetics with portuguese being more dressy.

Just my 2 cents.

definitelydan

Reaction score
Thanks bro, I'm leaning towards the Stowa but the leadtime is si beh sian.

How does the ETA movement affect the manufacturers? They still can get stocks.
i believe that ETA is cutting supply of their movements so everyone who is using ETA movements would be scrambling in search for alternatives such as Soprod and Sellita.. a good read can be found here: Prometheus Watch Company | How ETA’s Decision to Stop Supplying Movements Affects Prometheus Watch Company and Watch Industry

i know for a fact that Sinn is starting to move over to Sellita movements, many say they are equal in quality to ETA, but others are more sceptical (i'll leave that to personal perception as well)..

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oris moved to use SW movement
Micro brands such as Christopherward, tourby also using SW
Stowa intro soprod A10 but A10 production is low
Invicta, gevril also switch to using SW

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
Oris moved to use SW movement
Micro brands such as Christopherward, tourby also using SW
Stowa intro soprod A10 but A10 production is low
Invicta, gevril also switch to using SW

Bro can help to reply curve ball question. Tks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought of getting a watch suitable for working executives when I'm in Europe over the next 2 weeks since I heard is much cheaper over there.

Budget is > 5ksgd

As im not a watch person, I really dunno where to start from.

Any recommendations are well appreciated :)

buay_tahan

Reaction score
If you can afford, definitely the portuguese automatic. It is one of the most popular model that houses an in-house movement with the pellaton winding system. Alot of portuguese chrono owners out there "upgraded" to portuguese auto after some time. However, if you are an accuracy freak, the 50000s calibre is not for you. Portuguese chrono's accuracy wins hands down.

That said, its interesting that you consider a pilot as well along with the portuguese. The pilot and portuguese have totally different aesthetics with portuguese being more dressy.

Just my 2 cents.
Hi there,

Interesting insights... Ya I am torn between a dress watch or a "classic pilot" watch. Any idea why the accuracy of the Portuguese Automatic not matching to the Portuguese Chrono?

dmitri

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Interesting insights... Ya I am torn between a dress watch or a "classic pilot" watch. Any idea why the accuracy of the Portuguese Automatic not matching to the Portuguese Chrono?
You may wish to do a search about the IWC 7-days movement accuracy, a good link can be found below:

7 Day movement timekeeping poll

Personally, I find the Port 7 days a beautiful watch (especially the silver dial / blue hands) and can overlook the accuracy of it as long as it falls within +/- 10 seconds per day.

The Port Chrono should be running on an IWC-modified Valjoux 7750, a proven ETA chronograph workhorse movement and as such is less susceptible to wild swings in its accuracy.

All of my watches on ETA movements have been able to achieve -4 seconds to +7 seconds per day.

KohChris

Banned
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents.

To add on my views,

The portuguese automatic is thicker than the chrono.
Diameter is 1.1mm larger. But the Vis-a-vis increase in lug size and thickness also makes for a slightly more larger watch.

5000x series movement when viewed through the caseback is not really eye pleasing..movement looks unrefined.

Portuguese chrono got 2 variants, 1 pre mid- 2009 model, comes with stamped indices - this watch looks cheap.

The post mid 2009 model comes with applied indexes. The numbers looks thicker and watch is more luxurious

One thing i hate about the port chrono is the lack of deployment buckle, and the lack of date.
But the size is near perfect at 40.9mm imo. Wish they had reduced it down to 40mm thereabout. Watch is abit boring cos no sapphire caseback. Rotor abit over-active. Didnt test it for accuracy.

I like the fact that the AR coating doesnt scratch easily and the watch dial layout is neat.

Portuguese automatic, might be abit too thick for cuffs nowadays. No good for small wrists with its dial size because its a dress watch afterall. The watch should not draw attention from the wearer.

Watch layout is abit spacious

Didnt test the watch for accuracy. has deployment buckle but it isnt activated by a push clasp system.

I personally dont test automatic watches for accuracy since its not quartz.
Only checked to nearest minute.

Last edited:

KohChris

Banned
Reaction score
Buying this next...

Panomatic01.jpg

KohChris

Banned
Reaction score
You should also consider the old model - aquatimer 2000 titanium

3777211793_d477d76759_b.jpg

Last edited:

KohChris

Banned
Reaction score
If you want a quality high end watch, dun look at iwc...

Nowadays iwc is more branding than quality oriented....

Some of their watches are still ETA powered even with the new facelift, and they moved from wooden boxes to plastic black boxes.

Their facebook page is nothing more than details of event sponsorships, activities and news covering release of new models.

Still far behind from JLC...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.