Northern Lights - December 2013

splitfirz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone interested to go for the following trip?
Hoping to see the aurora's since its at solar maximum this year.

Previous travellers please feel free to make suggestions.

Looking at travelling in Dec.

Singapore-Stockholm
Stockholm-Tromso/Lapland

OR

Singapore-Oslo
Oslo-Tromso/Lapland

Lordzephyr9

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's gonna be very very cold. Do u think we are able to see aurora at end aug?

alpc

Reaction score
If you are worry about cold - end Sept, early Oct would be better.

Anyway, I believe the coldest winter period is Jan/Feb.

Lordzephyr9

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are worry about cold - end Sept, early Oct would be better.

Anyway, I believe the coldest winter period is Jan/Feb.
actually im going on end aug/beginning sept. but i dunno if its worth making the trip to see northern lights as the recommended period is oct -march.

weeyoung

Reaction score
Im going around end Oct/early Nov. Hope to see it too. ;)

Should be going to Iceland/Norway and Finland (if there is time)

jtleee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am interested. for those who had gone before please share with us your 'journey' :s12:

alpc

Reaction score
Well.. if you got time to scroll back the number of pictures submitted to Spaceweather and check to see if anyone managed to get shots of them during that time period.

It's a matter of weather - cloudless sky; solar behaviour - solar flares erupting with CME winds; and finally is the sky dark enough (or if the CME wind is so great, that even with a less than dark sky could see).

alpc

Reaction score
I'm interested as well. Wondering if it's better to go on tours. Some tours will provide all the necessary clothing and equipment for the cold too. here's one of them Northern Lights Holiday. Arctic adventure tours and holidays.

Those kinds of small group tours are your best bet for it. Not only they provide the necessary stuff for the weather, but they know and do their very best to find cloudless sky spots and they are very good at spotting aurora, even if you can't really see it yet. If they are kind enough, they can even teach you how to spot early traces of aurora...

But, do note that you really have to make the effort to stay on it - it can be very tiring!!! Especially when the lights are bright - it can last for hours! Oh, don't think that maybe next day can still see - cause you never know what happens the next day!

For my case, I went to Finland instead of Norway, and the (local, ok, almost local since it was a Brit that runs it) tour price includes full boarding, and it was a great 3 nights of aurora hunting (see aurora for those 3 days) and a good 4 days night stay at the location.

splitfirz

Reaction score
Those kinds of small group tours are your best bet for it. Not only they provide the necessary stuff for the weather, but they know and do their very best to find cloudless sky spots and they are very good at spotting aurora, even if you can't really see it yet. If they are kind enough, they can even teach you how to spot early traces of aurora...

But, do note that you really have to make the effort to stay on it - it can be very tiring!!! Especially when the lights are bright - it can last for hours! Oh, don't think that maybe next day can still see - cause you never know what happens the next day!

For my case, I went to Finland instead of Norway, and the (local, ok, almost local since it was a Brit that runs it) tour price includes full boarding, and it was a great 3 nights of aurora hunting (see aurora for those 3 days) and a good 4 days night stay at the location.

Yes. Was thinking of settling flight and accommodation by myself then just sign up for aurora hunting tours for the evenings

luVgErgEr

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to catch the northern lights somewhere march nxt yr but was thinking issit better to go alaska or norway cos everywhere seem so beautiful.
Any advise?

nivek001

Reaction score
Went to Yellowknife in Canada to catch the aurora, snow mobile, dog sledding,... The whole lot.
Spent 5 days there to make sure I catch the "good" nights.
The aurora is mysterious and beautiful, in the star-filled sky.
Bring along a tripod for your camera...
It's also rather cold... -37.
Can visit other parts of Canada after your aurora viewing. :)
Lovely country.... :) inexpensive imo.
2013 is supposed to be a good year to watch the northern lights.... Google for the science behind it.
Caught the lights in New Zealand too... But far lesser chance of seeing it there.
:)

alpc

Reaction score
nivek001, you are one of those rare people who managed to catch both northern and southern lights...

yennylee_89

Reaction score
You so lucky la~~~ To see the northern lights is like one my greatest dreams but it's frustrating to not know exactly when to travel for it! >.< It would be great if I could spend a few months in Norway for it but as if that's possible for me...

nivek001

Reaction score
Hi... It's not that expensive in Canada and in my opinion, there're more places to see in Canada than Finland or Norway. Yellowknife is also one of the best spots in the world to catch the aurora.
5 days should be enough if you go at the right "season"....
I paid CAD1400 for accommodation in hotel, night aurora viewing, snow mobile, dog sledding tours, etc.
Meals on my own but I like it that way.
Have to take domestic flight in Canada (from major cities) to get to Yellowknife so that's a bit extra, say CAD200 or less?
Let me know if u want any contacts or more info.... Lol.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.