Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
by the time pro 2 comes out in singapore, usa gets pro 3 a month later... :(

endless waiting... :(

CherylW

Reaction score
What settings?

Tweak the power profiles. When on battery, set the max CPU to 75% and keep the display at 30% brightness (which is still plenty bright). As for the rest of the settings, switch all the options to max savings when on battery and max power when plugged in.

5+ to around 6 hours of battery life.

Underclocking & Undervolting Ivy Bridge.

Don't know if can do a bios underclock, but you can probably prevent it from going into its higher p-states by adjusting the cpu throttling power options.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Win7/8 completely supports Speedstep so no need to set in BIOS. just set minimum CPU speed to 25% & max at 50%. It'll still be pretty fast but lasting 5-6hrs?

eijnaix

Banned
Reaction score
so surface pro is almost a year old ? Should i just wait for newer version and import from usa by then or just grab a surface pro when june come...

yantao

Master Member
Reaction score
so surface pro is almost a year old ? Should i just wait for newer version and import from usa by then or just grab a surface pro when june come...

Surface RT came out in Oct 2012, while Surface Pro came out in Feb 2013.
New version will depend on Intel next generation of chips but it will be expensive when it's launched.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

tech is always a never ending wait... there is always a newer model a few months down the road. if there isn't you would not even consider buying it..

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my feel is that for those that intend to get it, most probably need to queue on the launch day....

sengkangkid

Reaction score

So far no info on Surface Pro 2. If you want to wait, it will be a long long wait till US launch then a long long wait till Sg launch.

Why not get Surface? If you watch the Youtube video, it is super tough and won't break. Surface Pro got moving parts...

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
some questions. for those using the RT and imported Pro.

1) does those 3G/LTE usb dongle work on RT and Pro? just need to install driver?

2) does bluetooth mouse work with RT and Pro out of the box? since there is only 1 usb port to work with.

Murcielago

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2) does bluetooth mouse work with RT and Pro out of the box? since there is only 1 usb port to work with.
Bluetooth mouse e.g. MS Wedge mouse works out of the box. Does not require the usb port.

bedlamite

Reaction score

1) does those 3G/LTE usb dongle work on RT and Pro? just need to install driver?
What the sales rep at Challenger told me was that these drivers are x86-based, as the RT is an ARM machine you won't be able to install these drivers (or anything that isn't from the app store, for that matter, short of JBing it). Tethering will still work, for what that's worth. You should be able to install drivers on the Pro.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's probably a lot easier to use a portable wifi hotspot, use the usb port to charge if when needed.

Johnteoh

Reaction score

1) USB dongle will not work if it requires driver. I tested with my old USB Huawei dongle and it prompt me to install the driver. As such no go for me.

2) Surface RT and Pro have BT so there is no issue using BT mouse or keyboard. I was using my Apple BT keyboard to type out.

simrbn

Reaction score
Is there any suitable app to play video from this Window RT? i try playing a Rmvb file. totally cannot open.

echoblue

Reaction score
Excellent MS Service for Surface!

I bought a Surface RT last year from the US and I encountered a hardware issue (microsd slot cant hold the card in place).

I reported the issue last Friday morning through microsoft online service center and called the customer service hotline (which connected me to a US customer service staff). After going through a few troubleshooting, the agent confirmed the hardware problem and issued me a ticket. Local service center gave me a call that afternoon and arranged a courier for Monday. They picked up my defective unit yesterday and i just received the replacement this morning. :D

Guess what, i got a brand new set (as promised)! Free door to door courier, fast turnaround, and brand new replacement! That's the most awesome customer service ever! :s12:

* Note that MS may give a refurbised unit instead of BRAND NEW, but since the tablet was just released in SG, they probably dont have any refurbished sets yet (it all depends on availability). Of course, they will exchange ur US tablet version to a local version instead.

** You need to package the defective unit on your own but you can request for a bubble wrap. Do not give your original packaging box but use another box coz they will not return the box you will use.

:D

Last edited:

sengkangkid

Reaction score
I bought a Surface RT last year from the US and I encountered a hardware issue (microsd slot cant hold the card in place).

I reported the issue last Friday morning through microsoft online service center and called the customer service hotline (which connected me to a US customer service staff). After going through a few troubleshooting, the agent confirmed the hardware problem and issued me a ticket. Local service center gave me a call that afternoon and arranged a courier for Monday. They picked up my defective unit yesterday and i just received the replacement this morning. :D

Guess what, i got a brand new set (as promised)! Free door to door courier, fast turnaround, and brand new replacement! That's the most awesome customer service ever! :s12:

* Note that MS may give a refurbised unit instead of BRAND NEW, but since the tablet was just released in SG, they probably dont have any refurbished sets yet (it all depends on availability). Of course, they will exchange ur US tablet version to a local version instead.

** You need to package the defective unit on your own but you can request for a bubble wrap. Do not give your original packaging box but use another box coz they will not return the box you will use.

:D

You were lucky. Microsoft likes to exchange defective hardware for refurbs, which in my experience was very cham because the XBox 360 refurb they return to me only intermittent RRoD so cannot prove that it was not working, and also useless to play games. By the time it all the time RRoD Microsoft ask me to pay money to replace that refurb with another of their refurb. For that reason, I am careful not to buy Microsoft hardware anymore.

echoblue

Reaction score
You were lucky. Microsoft likes to exchange defective hardware for refurbs, which in my experience was very cham because the XBox 360 refurb they return to me only intermittent RRoD so cannot prove that it was not working, and also useless to play games. By the time it all the time RRoD Microsoft ask me to pay money to replace that refurb with another of their refurb. For that reason, I am careful not to buy Microsoft hardware anymore.

That's unfortunate! Hopefully today they'll be more fair and efficient like what i've experienced. They have a third party company helping with the after sales support (Jabil Circuit SG)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.