New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

jammingjester

Reaction score
I understand new HDB BTO flats come with structured data cabling.

Anyone able to share their fiber network schematic?
As in how you wire up your home with or without the patch points provided?

I want to understand where the Fiber termination point will be and where do you install your modem, router, etc.

Tks.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
For New BTO flats, there is a box at your riser area where all the data point terminates. That is where you can setup your switches, router if you want, then setup access point in living room or any of the room if the signal cannot reach the rest of the house. Tat's wat I did on my previous home.

toshm200

Reaction score
you mean new BTO come with ready Ethernet point in living / rooms

For New BTO flats, there is a box at your riser area where all the data point terminates. That is where you can setup your switches, router if you want, then setup access point in living room or any of the room if the signal cannot reach the rest of the house. Tat's wat I did on my previous home.

jammingjester

Reaction score

Is the box at the riser big enough to fit a modem, router, switches?

I’m quite new to networking as well. So this could be a really silly question.

I plan to use the digital voice line provided by the broadband or fiber providers.

If all the points terminate in the riser and I connect my modem & router in the riser, will I still be able to connect my phone to the point in the living room?

feintan

Reaction score
Anyone tried connecting via the telephone point before?

You sure, my flat does comes with telephone points in bedrooms and living room, store room and kitchen also have.

But the problem is phone point is different from LAN point. you cannot fit a lan Cable into a phone point leh.

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You sure, my flat does comes with telephone points in bedrooms and living room, store room and kitchen also have.

But the problem is phone point is different from LAN point. you cannot fit a lan Cable into a phone point leh.

can

who say cannot

you got try?

i did

feintan

Reaction score
Yes I tried, the tel port (04 Wire) is too small for the Lan Port (8 Wire).

New Flat now is all Lan Port? wow. Like that no need to lay cable in whole house.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 6 year old resale flat. Phone & ethernet ports in everyroom. Dunno cat 5, 5e or 6 but anyway am not gonna waste $ & give myself headaches by ripping it out of the walls & put some super brand 6a cables in lah.

Patch panel located in utility closet which is next to main door so i got opennet to install TP inside the closet. There is a dual power socket inside the closet so my ONT can be inside the closet.

I just need to connect my pc to any ethernet port in any room & viola. Dont use wireless lah. Wired faster & since all the cables inside the wall, no need to worry about hacking.

But the thing is my utility closet is big & has power outlet in it so no issue. I have seen some newer flats, the patch panel is insid this small thing located in living room. No way u can fit the ONT inside & besides, no power outlet nearby.

Why not posts some pics of your layout?

Last edited:

feintan

Reaction score
you Lucky ler, the previous owner already put ethernet ports in everyroom. Mine is new direct from HDB, HDB only put Electric and Phone Port, Cable (Hope it's Ethernet port instead). every room including kitchen and storeroom have this 03 Port.

When I renovate that time didn't think of Laying ethernet ports, sign.....

What about your router? were did you put your Router?

jammingjester

Reaction score
can't one just use a rj45 convertor or jack into the telephone provided to turn it into a lan point?

I'm still waiting for the keys to my BTO.
Anyone who just moved into a NEW BTO flat and can show some photos of the utility box/closet and data points in the house?

Gixxer1000

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can't one just use a rj45 convertor or jack into the telephone provided to turn it into a lan point?

Anyone who just moved into a NEW BTO flat and can show some photos of the utility box/closet and data points in the house?

something like this?

images

feintan

Reaction score
something like this?

images

I have yet to find a converter. Let me know if u found one. But I don't think it will work too as LAN cable have 8 working line. Phone only have 04 max. The picture u show here only have 02 line connected. U do the maths.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried connecting via the telephone point before?

If ur phone lines are wired with at least cat5e and they are deployed in a star configuration, then can. U just simply convert the port from rj11 to rj45 can liao

Most phone lines are deployed in a daisy chain Btw, cos easier to deploy. Like that cannot use liao

My flat uses cat5e for phone line. I have yet to see what configuration it is deployed in

azrin619

Reaction score
Yes I tried, the tel port (04 Wire) is too small for the Lan Port (8 Wire).

New Flat now is all Lan Port? wow. Like that no need to lay cable in whole house.

Just remove the socket and change the cable patch lor...
or else.. RJ11-RJ45 converter crimping not so hard

FanFreak

Reaction score

BTO in SK
photo_zpse8fe618d.jpg

There is a data point from the untility box to a data point in Living room.
Quite a dismay job from contractor as you need to squeese in a ONT to this small ultility box.

amazone

Reaction score
mine in punggol BTO is installed before i moved in. just next to the tv antenna point.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine in punggol BTO is installed before i moved in. just next to the tv antenna point.

which BTO you in? when u got yr keys? my keys were received in jul 2012 leh. but don't have the terminal point.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.