Widespread SD Card issue with Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Don't know whether if it is the same type of problem,
I used to have this sd card problem on my made in china tablets.
Then all my sandisk sd cards would be corrupted after a few week usage by the tablet.
Then I happen to read in forums about "slow formating the sd card to NTFS format".
I tried this , and no more sd card corrupting again.

maybe someone can try and feedback here...
PS : slow formating a 32Gb sd card take a long long time , more than an hour

cheers

different..the galaxy kind of corrupt is the whole card spoilt, cannot be format, no longer working.

dmitri

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Sandisk Class 4 32gb died earlier this evening. Basically my S3 just wouldn't detect it. When I mounted the card, either it doesn't detect it, or when it does, I'm told it is blank or unsupported.

Thankfully most files on it can be readily copied from my computer and nothing important has been backed up on it. Will try to reformat the card to FAT32 and test it out again. Please don't make me spend any cash this month than I absolutely have to. Damn annoying considering I like watching tv series on daily commute.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
I won't even bother using memory cards anymore, in these old Samsung devices. I don't even touch my non-LTE S3 anymore after the last encounter. Fortunately, these are not my primary phones and are merely just toys for me to play around with. I do have my 64GB N2 as the S3 replacement. Maybe I would just check how long the memory card would last inside a 64GB S4, when it arrives at my doorsteps.

Last edited:

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

this thread is likely to be discussing the bad Sandisk batch, which Sandisk has admitted. However, please watch out for those Samsung cards on auction sites, including Qoo10/Gmarket.

Some are fake. There is one where the microsd card is packaged upside down. :s13: When the package reaches your house, the microsd card is also loose inside the plastic cardholder. :s8:

I managed to get one 32GB when the card was newly released. Says "Made in Korea" on the back of the microsd. No issues with packaging. :D

eno_lc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

this thread is likely to be discussing the bad Sandisk batch, which Sandisk has admitted. However, please watch out for those Samsung cards on auction sites, including Qoo10/Gmarket.

Some are fake. There is one where the microsd card is packaged upside down. :s13: When the package reaches your house, the microsd card is also loose inside the plastic cardholder. :s8:

I managed to get one 32GB when the card was newly released. Says "Made in Korea" on the back of the microsd. No issues with packaging. :D

Did sandisk admit a bad sd card batch?

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fakes:

ce797d7c-8c87-4be3-8e3e-5f5238379245.jpg

9a99d402-fb90-4010-a848-2dadf7d6768b.jpg

Genuine, this's the one I got but out of stock. Samsung may also have changed their packaging for newer cards, however surely the card cannot be packaged upside down. :s13:

Qoo10-Singapore - Camera / Camcorder - microSDHC 16GB CLASS10 Plus Ext...

34646e87-6c27-4890-9e02-02206a2684ca.JPG

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Keeping my finger cross; I have been using a old SanDisk 16GB class 4 in my S4 for the past 2 days, so far so good.

Does this problem occur to the newer cards?

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Did sandisk admit a bad sd card batch?

Supposedly, they did. However, I had the same problem with my Lexar and there were anecdotes of the same issues with Kingston and Transcend cards as well.

eno_lc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, they did. However, I had the same problem with my Lexar and there were anecdotes of the same issues with Kingston and Transcend cards as well.

i tried searching for it but didnt find news on it though

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just encountered this problem earlier on sat...32GB sandisk micro sdcard on my galaxy note 1. used less than 6 months zz.

first one min can detect another min cannot..now totally cannot mount. in settings under SD card, the status was insert sd card.

I've already removed the card and inserted back many times liao still same issues. Problem is I don't have a card reader as well..Can anyone advise me what to do next? Where can I send back to claim the warranty?

PS: I just found out I've throw away the receipt..guess I will have to buy a new one..

Last edited:

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"SanDisk has been made aware of potential product issues involving a very small percentage of its 32GB and 64GB SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSD cards. Under certain circumstances the cards may lock up and the card becomes inaccessible. The issue has been identified and a manufacturing fix has already been put in place. SanDisk stands behind its products and any customer who experiences this issue with the microSD cards cards is asked to contact the SanDisk support center for a resolution immediately." -SanDisk

Link: SanDisk says it produced some bad 32GB and 64GB microSD cards

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
just encountered this problem earlier on sat...32GB sandisk micro sdcard on my galaxy note 1. used less than 6 months zz.

first one min can detect another min cannot..now totally cannot mount. in settings under SD card, the status was insert sd card.

I've already removed the card and inserted back many times liao still same issues. Problem is I don't have a card reader as well..Can anyone advise me what to do next? Where can I send back to claim the warranty?

PS: I just found out I've throw away the receipt..guess I will have to buy a new one..

Try formatting with a card reader? I did that with my Lexar and I am able to read it via my reader now.

darknez

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but just FYI for all those with issues.

I am one of the very first people in Singapore to have used 64GB since it launched (yes, paid at a huge premium), 1 Class 6 and 4 UHS SDXC. I have them in Note, Note 2, S3, and Note 10.1 for several months now. None of them experience any of the issues you have been experiencing.

I would recommend you guys not to buy from overseas or online stores. Not to say they are no good, but the risk of fake or damage is definitely higher. Best Bargain in Sim Lim Square would be a good place to get one with local warranty.

Good luck with asking for RMA for your online-purchased microSDs.

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

try inserting the card into pc and run a checkdisk on it.

henryscy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems that my micro sd card 32gb class 10 start to fail on my s4. Keep mounting and unmounting

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but just FYI for all those with issues.

I am one of the very first people in Singapore to have used 64GB since it launched (yes, paid at a huge premium), 1 Class 6 and 4 UHS SDXC. I have them in Note, Note 2, S3, and Note 10.1 for several months now. None of them experience any of the issues you have been experiencing.

I would recommend you guys not to buy from overseas or online stores. Not to say they are no good, but the risk of fake or damage is definitely higher. Best Bargain in Sim Lim Square would be a good place to get one with local warranty.

Good luck with asking for RMA for your online-purchased microSDs.

Perhaps the first batch was good. It was the same for my S3 - mine was the first batch and it never gave me any problems, but my friends with later batches had charging issues, sudden death, etc.

I bought my Sandisk 64GB class10 locally (ingram micro stock) when prices came down to about 80 SGD. 3 failed in a row. Other HWZers who bought theirs during the period also had massive failures. Besides, Sandisk has already admitted to producing a problematic batch of cards, but they did not disclose the numbers.

And lastly, that shop you recommended... well they are one of the last places I will personally visit if I want local distributor warranty. Search the forums and you'll understand why. :)

henryscy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what brand and tried rma?

san disk 32GB class 10. Haven't tried RMA. I bought in SLS, bestbuy.

*just tested using the sd card on my s2 phone and can be detected without any issue. But when switch on to my s4.. cannot read... :(

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.