gpgt: xperia z screen crack for no good reason

applefan

Master Member
Reaction score
damn sian man...

bought sxz when it was launched. so far pretty happy with sxz until today.

as usual, placed it my my jeans pocket, normal jeans (not super tight skinny jeans) and did my job. had to climb over a railing.

took out my sxz to take some photo and i cant unlock the screen. then i realised the screen had cracked at multiple places.

blswH6B.jpg

didnt expect sony xperia z to be so fragile....

hope sony wl replace one to one...

blswH6B

virtualape

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
damn sian man...

bought sxz when it was launched. so far pretty happy with sxz until today.

as usual, placed it my my jeans pocket, normal jeans (not super tight skinny jeans) and did my job. had to climb over a railing.

took out my sxz to take some photo and i cant unlock the screen. then i realised the screen had cracked at multiple places.

blswH6B.jpg

didnt expect sony xperia z to be so fragile....

hope sony wl replace one to one...

blswH6B

Probably as you were climbing over the railing, the phone in your pocket pressed against something hard (concrete wall/metal railing)?

Or perhaps if you kept in your back pocket, as you climb and bend, the jeans tightened to the contours of your rear end adding some pressure to the phone?

Just some possibilities...anyway, from another thread, a user paid $300 to replace the back panel.

Last edited:

Ah Huat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I ever ask at sony service centre how much is it to replace the front screen and they told me S$600+ :eek:

applefan

Master Member
Reaction score
didnt hit anything. phone was in front pocket.

600 to replace?? wow... and i didnt even drop it... wah super sian man if really must pay 600

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
didnt hit anything. phone was in front pocket.

600 to replace?? wow... and i didnt even drop it... wah super sian man if really must pay 600

this is consider wear and tear .. :( if sony will cover such incident..i guess everyone will abandon samseng and orange phone and get sony le..

even they market xz as very tough phone..but they only say it's dust & water proof..they didnt say their screen is crack proof..if u are able to find the ad/print saying this..you might have chance to ask them replace foc..

applefan

Master Member
Reaction score
screen crack after few months considered as wear and tear??

anyway, if sony ask me to pay, this will be my last sony ... i dont expect screen to be crack proof. but at least it shud be strong enough not to crack just by putting phone in jeans pocket

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

anyway, if sony ask me to pay, this will be my last sony ... i dont expect screen to be crack proof. but at least it shud be strong enough not to crack just by putting phone in jeans pocket

i think they will maybe give u the discounted price of 300.....all i think got one of the bro here who manage to get free replacement but need sign some agreement to agree it will be the last time for replace foc..

any thin phone will face this same issue..no matter you buy samsung, apple, htc..nokia and etc..

so u will ban them all if facing the same issue? so at the end..you got no phone to buy lo ..

applefan

Master Member
Reaction score
i was using iphone since launch day (2007) till early this year, when i decided to switch to sxz.

iphone5 thinner than sxz yet didnt crack under normal use. placed it in my jeans pocket like i always do.

if i had dropped my sxz, then i will gladly accept the fault is mine. but in this case, the phone cracked just because i placed it in my front jeans pocket and climbed over a railing??

that is really fragile

will call sony and monday and see what they have to say about this.

to the rest of you using sxz, just be careful. the screen is very fragile

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i was using iphone since launch day (2007) till early this year, when i decided to switch to sxz.

iphone5 thinner than sxz yet didnt crack under normal use. placed it in my jeans pocket like i always do.

if i had dropped my sxz, then i will gladly accept the fault is mine. but in this case, the phone cracked just because i placed it in my front jeans pocket and climbed over a railing??

that is really fragile

normal use yes..but if excessive bending....i dont think any phone can stand it (nokia lumia 920 might be exceptional)...

anyway...consumer is always king...try make big hoo haa...go stomp it..and also post to sony facebook wall..condemn 9 9....maybe u will get some unexpected result...:s13:

N3wXTyp3

Master Member
Reaction score
phone damage is sometimes beyond control when dealing with glass and stuffs.

The best is bring down and show them (Sony Centre). if they can proof no bend and dents.. good for you.

Rather than looking at a damaged screen ^^

scubyti

Reaction score

that is really fragile

i feel sorry for you but i guess there are a many reasons the screen could have cracked, even without it dropping. Thermal stress(which i doubt so because i travelled from singapore to europe which was minus 3 degree and nothing happened, or applied load from just being in your pocket, residual stress in the glass when you were going through the railings.
so long your phone had not physical damage, i will you got a good case with sony mobile. Sony is not a unreasonable company, explain clearly and you might have a replacement w/o or with subsidized cost. You can compare a iphone with the Z as the screen for ip3/4/5 is still small to be honest.

hope all turn out well for you.

rukiazhengde

Reaction score
if you studied mechanics. you'll realise that bending stress is proportional to moments generated. as the xperia Z is a larger phone, it will undergo a much higher bending moment as compared to a iphone 5 or 4. thus the crack.

if iphone won't crack. I advise you to switch to iphone 5. and try the railing again but this time put on about 50% more weight or more. should be able to take that weight since it is smaller.

rukiazhengde

Reaction score
you can try complaining to sony. but this kind og damage is categorised under end-user damage. it's like dropping your phone on the floor and blaming sony for it. even apple require you to pay for screen cracks.

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just for your info, if you think Sony screen is fragile, you can try other brands like Samsung. I can tell you that their screen is more fragile than Xperia smartphones and they will also charge you for the replacement of screen as such crack is consider user damage.

Hope you understand what I mean.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Just for your info, if you think Sony screen is fragile, you can try other brands like Samsung. I can tell you that their screen is more fragile than Xperia smartphones and they will also charge you for the replacement of screen as such crack is consider user damage.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Some or half manage to waive it off. Samsung replaced FOC.

I hope TS also got his replace FOC.

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some or half manage to waive it off. Samsung replaced FOC.

I hope TS also got his replace FOC.

Last time Samsung will replace FOC but now, I dun think so and their new screen even never install also will crack easily.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.