Asus Laptop Users Thread - Part 2

undergrd

Reaction score
Asus A42J Ram Upgrade - Need help

Hi Ppl,

I wanted to upgrade my ram on my Asus a42J to 16GB ram. I didnt know that this laptop can only support up to 8GB and I have already bought my ram.

Is there any way to configure the laptop to allow it to accept 16GB ram? Heard changing some bios stuff will help but not sure.

Thanks all..

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi Ppl,

I wanted to upgrade my ram on my Asus a42J to 16GB ram. I didnt know that this laptop can only support up to 8GB and I have already bought my ram.

Is there any way to configure the laptop to allow it to accept 16GB ram? Heard changing some bios stuff will help but not sure.

Thanks all..

Dear undergrd,

Due to Intel Memory controller H55 chipset limitation support up to 8Gb.

hysteriakx

Reaction score
hi just wanna ask.

can the k43sv support 16gb ( 2x8gb) ram?
if im not wrong the h65 chipset can support max 16gb but bios might not

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$1298 A45VS
i7-3630QM processor
4GB Ram/ nVidia GeForce GT654M(2GB)

$999 S46CM
i5-3317U processor
4GB Ram/ nVidia GeForce GT635M(2GB)
14" Glossy screen

$1298 S46CM (win 8)
i5-3317U processor
4GB Ram/ nVidia GeForce GT635M(2GB)
14" LED Screen

above 3 good enough to Dota/Starcraft/WOW/D3?

Because_ar

Reaction score
which laptop do u guys recommend for school purpose? no need high spec for gaming, maybe some really light gaming like dota on low graphics or something. Would be looking for something light, the portability. Best is have SSD(fast bootup time)

jerome1470

Reaction score
which laptop do u guys recommend for school purpose? no need high spec for gaming, maybe some really light gaming like dota on low graphics or something. Would be looking for something light, the portability. Best is have SSD(fast bootup time)

Zenbook should be sufficient I think. The S series seems good too since some of the models come with hybrid ssd/hdd

Because_ar

Reaction score
Zenbook should be sufficient I think. The S series seems good too since some of the models come with hybrid ssd/hdd

These i think out of my budget leh :(
Any asus model below 1k? I know below 1k probably dun hav SSD, but is it recommended to replace the original HDD with SSD? I think this way I might be able to get a notebook within my price range, and operates on a SSD.

Unknownx

Reaction score
These i think out of my budget leh :(
Any asus model below 1k? I know below 1k probably dun hav SSD, but is it recommended to replace the original HDD with SSD? I think this way I might be able to get a notebook within my price range, and operates on a SSD.

Do you really need a laptop with SSD? My friend is using S46CM now with 500GB HDD + 24GB mSATA SSD and able to get about 10 sec boot up. Bought the laptop for $959 :)

Because_ar

Reaction score
Do you really need a laptop with SSD? My friend is using S46CM now with 500GB HDD + 24GB mSATA SSD and able to get about 10 sec boot up. Bought the laptop for $959 :)

I just need fast boot up time, 24gb i think is sufficient for me.

S46CM specs are pretty decent, but the weight is pretty high.

i like the zenbook, sleek slim design, very light.

actually im not in the hurry to buy, my sch starts at around august, but just wanna research about some asus models. You think zen will drop below 1k by then? Or new models with more economy price will be released?

Zenbook no touchscreen function right?

Unknownx

Reaction score
I just need fast boot up time, 24gb i think is sufficient for me.

S46CM specs are pretty decent, but the weight is pretty high.

i like the zenbook, sleek slim design, very light.

actually im not in the hurry to buy, my sch starts at around august, but just wanna research about some asus models. You think zen will drop below 1k by then? Or new models with more economy price will be released?

Zenbook no touchscreen function right?

I don't think Zenbook price will drop fast... Even the older model UX31E, cheapest is $1398. The new models coming are more for high-end user, the improved version of UX32VD (Zenbook Prime with dedicated graphic card) but the weight around 1.9kg... Zenbook got touch screen model but price around $2698, the normal one UX31A cheapest is $1598

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ASUS A45VS-VX007H

User please share about this notebook as there is no online review about it. Really hope that ASUS can introduce a new cheaper notebook for budget user.

FreedomPay

Reaction score
Regarding Asus A45VS???

Hi, I recently brought a Asus A45VS I7 Win 8, may i know how can i create a factory restored disc in case next time i would want to do a factory reset. And also i know like to know whether if i brought a SSD can i bring it to the service center and replace Optical drive with current HDD and HDD replace with my SSD ?

Regards

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm how bout waiting for haswel version of asus???

currently owning ux31a

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think Zenbook price will drop fast... Even the older model UX31E, cheapest is $1398. The new models coming are more for high-end user, the improved version of UX32VD (Zenbook Prime with dedicated graphic card) but the weight around 1.9kg... Zenbook got touch screen model but price around $2698, the normal one UX31A cheapest is $1598

Honestly marked up lower then can be cheaper la.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently brought a Asus A45VS I7 Win 8, may i know how can i create a factory restored disc in case next time i would want to do a factory reset. And also i know like to know whether if i brought a SSD can i bring it to the service center and replace Optical drive with current HDD and HDD replace with my SSD ?

Regards

Charges apply. Please give your review.

fr0stborne

Reaction score
anybody experienced high temperatures for their asus laptops? ive had a k43s for about 1.5 years now and it went to the service centre about 3 months ago for a slow/inefficent cooler fan.

Now i recently realised that my computer also still kind of hot, with an average temp of 55 deg for GPU/cores. Strange thing is that the fan seems to be working (i can feel the wind) but its blowing pretty hot air.

when playing games like dota 2 it can reach up to 80 deg which is a little hot for me i feel. I think its got to do with their ice cool design where they try not to conduct heat to the keyboard area so they direct all the heat to the small opening at the side, which may result in higher temperatures.

On a side note, does adding a 2nd screen output to the laptop make it hotter? I recently added an extra monitor so i could view multiple screens at once

j_t_fusion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe the insides are getting dusty so the air circulation not good.

extra screen will increase the stress on the gpu... especially if the screens output different things.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.