EDMW Knife Collectors

sojourn88

Reaction score
REfer to this report:

Swiss Army Knife Maker Retires 120-Year-Old Wenger Brand

Swiss Army Knife Maker Retires 120-Year-Old Wenger Brand
By Leigh Baldwin - Jan 30, 2013 10:28 PM GMT+0800

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-30/swiss-army-knife-maker-retires-120-year-old-wenger-brand.html

Wenger SA, a manufacturer of Swiss army knives since 1893, will stop making them, the company’s owner and former rival Victorinox AG said today.

Victorinox, founded in 1884 in the central Swiss town of Ibach, bought Wenger SA in 2005, saving its biggest competitor from bankruptcy. Until now, Victorinox had continued selling the folding knives under both names.
Swiss Army Knife Maker Retires 120-Year-Old Wenger Brand - Bloomberg

so..it is about time to start stocking up on Wengers, wont be able to find on the shelves years from now..
too bad..i am not very familiar with Wenger models.. any advise how to start?

Last edited:

lostLore85

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some wengers myself. Have u seen their ranger line? Has locking blades. Been searching for places to get them. I find their designs a lil more innovative then victorinox.

sojourn88

Reaction score
check out my earlier post on where to get...
Yes, the more i know about wenger, the more i feel they are more innovative and more ergonomic than the big bro victorinox. the nail clipper is one such innovation, and it is cool and practical..if you travel alot, just chuck it into the check in luggage.

lostLore85

Reaction score
Which models interest u? Isetan has a sale now on wengers. Online shop. I'm definitely gonna get e nail clipper

sojourn88

Reaction score
Bugis bhg offer wengers too?
not that i know of.. only victorinox in bhg.

i am still discovering wenger.. maybe wood handle, or metal handle, or even white handle, PVD blackout, with nailclip, some with lockback like the ranger series.. many to choose from... need time to digest.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Last knife remaining in my FS thread:

- Spyderco Nilakka. Now at $260 only. Brand new bloody sharp razor :) Hit me up if you want this laser :s13:

sojourn88

Reaction score
HI Sigma..
one thing about the one hand opening using the Spyderco Hole.
i totally agree the Spyderco Hole..is easy to open..
previously i bought a non-round hole..such as the Navy K-503.. it looks very cool with its triangular hole..but it is such a waste.. it cant be open with one hand at all as the odd shape hole makes it difficult for the thumb to slide round it.. the Chinese mess around the most fundamental functional aspect of the one-hand opening and they got a thing that looks good maybe for some, but doesnt work.. ;-)
Navy-K-503-K503-Elfin-440C-steel-Steel-handle-Folding-Knife-Free-Shipping.jpg

on the other hand.. i have not tried the Spyderco Byrd..with its tear shape hole..does it work at all? or is it a failure? any comments? or maybe the Byrd is not supposed to be one-hand opening...?

Heres another non-round hole..this time from victorinox in their new range of hunter pros..
i imagine it will not be so easy to flip open quickly with this oval hole. any one tried before?

822037-Victorinox-Hunter-Pro.jpg

alantcy

Reaction score
usually lock backs are not easy to flick due to the tension from the lock bar.
whether the knife can be easily deployed or not depends on the detent strength, the lock type, pivot design, and whether the deployment hole or thumbstud has enough clearance from the scales for your finger to gain the needed leverage.
of cos, technique plays a part as well.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
you can always add a zip tip on the outer edge of thehole to get more grip for opening for any on the irregular One handed blades.. works for me especially with full finger gloves on..

kiwizor

Reaction score
Anyone interested in the following folders? Clearing out some of my collection. PM me if keen.

Boker Subcom
Benchmade Kulgera
Boker Jim Wagner Reality Based Blade
CRKT Pharoah
CRKT Fulcrum Flame

Have photos on request.

fishcake2005

Reaction score
WTS: Hinderer XM-18 3" Slicer 20CV (Orange G10 + Sterile blade)

Hi, letting go my Hinderer XM-18 3" Slicer 20CV (Orange G10 + Sterile blade). Got this from bro nilfire77 earlier and totally unused. Letting it go @ $650 (Cheapest hinderer you can find in the market). Sms me at 9322-7427 to own this hinderer :)

1-4_zps587b5e40.jpg

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Fishcake2005, that's a really good deal you're dishing out. And it's such a bad timing. Totally out of cash now. :( I hope someone dives in before my money comes in, so I have an excuse to save $650!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys, have a nice mini-messenger bag FS if you are interested. Perfect for carrying your collection from point A-B :s13:. Only 3 x blue notes for a bombproof bag.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...-kato-messenger-bag-4228792.html#post76600283

Check it out.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/general-merchandise-bazaar-261/vgs-folders-blades-fs-4196077.html

(for the Umnumzaan, I'm open to a straight trade for a similar mint condition Large Sebenza 21 S35VN steel, black micarta inlays, full box papers tool cloth etc or a mint Large Regular Sebenza full box papers tool etc plus a little cash on your end).

here's a video on Umnumzaan testing by Jon Ankerson:

and a video on the Nilakka :)

PM, pay and collect today for a very special price.

Take the Nilakka & Kato, and I'll knock off $50 from the total asking price!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Blade 2013 is days away, I wonder what new models will be debuted?

Last edited:

Sonic69

Reaction score
Hi, letting go my Hinderer XM-18 3" Slicer 20CV (Orange G10 + Sterile blade). Got this from bro nilfire77 earlier and totally unused. Letting it go @ $650 (Cheapest hinderer you can find in the market). Sms me at 9322-7427 to own this hinderer :)

1-4_zps587b5e40.jpg

Is there any particular reason u r selling it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.