Audio Technica Appreciation Thread

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
I already heard W3k on Yammy, I can confirm it absolutely fantastic. Incredible detai, imaging but mid-range still warm, sweet and keep clearly, bass control and more focus compare with W5000. Just some small problems, this cans a little heavy and the soundstage isn't wide, pleasant enough

Go Randius Go!
:D

tm.chen

Reaction score
Just tried the demo set at Stereo ION.

Good clarity but i dont find it warm at all. Seems a bit sterile compared to listening on my Shure 440s and W4s. I like it when i was listening to instruments but so much when i tried vocals, just doesnt bring out the flavor of the song.

Hope maybe it is because of their setup.

kusanagivn

Reaction score
Just tried the demo set at Stereo ION.

Good clarity but i dont find it warm at all. Seems a bit sterile compared to listening on my Shure 440s and W4s. I like it when i was listening to instruments but so much when i tried vocals, just doesnt bring out the flavor of the song.

Hope maybe it is because of their setup.

Do you know their setup ? I think AT's traditional always add their special colored in mid-range. It make them special and more musical than other brands.

About W3k just my opinion, I think it's more neutral than other AT cans but it still slightly colored in mid-range. And i don't think it sterile or dry soundsign if compare with other reference cans like HD800, SA5k, K1000 .etc... Sorry, i never hear Shure 440s to compare with W3k.

Ofcouse my NOS DAC and Yammy are warmest + sweet, then they can effect and improve W3k sound. W3k is a little hot treble then i'll not pair it with any bright DAC/Amp

tm.chen

Reaction score
Do you know their setup ? I think AT's traditional always add their special colored in mid-range. It make them special and more musical than other brands.

About W3k just my opinion, I think it's more neutral than other AT cans but it still slightly colored in mid-range. And i don't think it sterile or dry soundsign if compare with other reference cans like HD800, SA5k, K1000 .etc... Sorry, i never hear Shure 440s to compare with W3k.

Ofcouse my NOS DAC and Yammy are warmest + sweet, then they can effect and improve W3k sound. W3k is a little hot treble then i'll not pair it with any bright DAC/Amp
Their setup is the imac -> ifi iusbpower -> iDac -> iCan

Not sure if they will affect the sound. Source are songs on their itunes, probably aac format. I agree that there is quite a bit of treble but not so much that is unbearable. As long as I tune the volume down, it is fine. But as the volume across the songs are not equalized, I find myself adjusting the volume knob often.

kusanagivn

Reaction score
Their setup is the imac -> ifi iusbpower -> iDac -> iCan

Not sure if they will affect the sound. Source are songs on their itunes, probably aac format. I agree that there is quite a bit of treble but not so much that is unbearable. As long as I tune the volume down, it is fine. But as the volume across the songs are not equalized, I find myself adjusting the volume knob often.

I'm understand why you don't like this. Currently i'm not hear iFi combo but someone on Head-fi said it's a bit similar with O2 + ODAC. iDAC using ESS Sabre ES9023 then their sound should be neutral, good detail, clean and transparent. If you want more musical sound then you should change something warmest, smooth and sweet. I just tested PS Audio Link III DAC today and i think this is another good choice in this term.

About amp section i think Yammy or HA5000 (i never hear it but i'll find a change) are the best choice with many possible feedback. You will not regret or change it. But if you want looking for something more cheaper i'll offer AMB M3 for the best performance with AT cans

Last edited:

Randius

Reaction score
About amp section i think Yammy or HA5000 (i never hear it but i'll find a change) are the best choice with many possible feedback. You will not regret or change it. But if you want looking for something more cheaper i'll offer AMB M3 for the best performance with AT cans

I will probably try looking for HA5000 (or if really filthy rich, the HA5000ANV or HA2002)

kusanagivn

Reaction score
Has anyone tried pairing the A2000x with an amp?

How does it sound?
A2000x is a couple with HA26D. More clean, smooth with better soundstage, imaging. Very nice detail, shining and sparkle in treble-range. That's my favourite combo for instrumental

tm.chen

Reaction score
Tried the iCan + W3000 combo again.

Warmer this time as I used my AK100 as the source instead and dropped the iDac. As there is no true line out for the AK100, I had to keep on adjusting volumes on both units to keep distortion to a minimum.

The W3000 has got good vocals but for some of my songs, the instruments seem to get quite congested. Fast songs with lots of instruments tend to end up in a mangled pile with no separation.

I might just go back and see if they have an adaptor for a 3.5mm jack input. Forgot to demo with AK100 as the direct source.

Sigh, now not sure if W3000 or W5000 is worth it.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Warmer this time as I used my AK100 as the source instead and dropped the iDac. As there is no true line out for the AK100, I had to keep on adjusting volumes on both units to keep distortion to a minimum.

The W3000 has got good vocals but for some of my songs, the instruments seem to get quite congested. Fast songs with lots of instruments tend to end up in a mangled pile with no separation.

I might just go back and see if they have an adaptor for a 3.5mm jack input. Forgot to demo with AK100 as the direct source.

ever consider trying an opened can? seems like w3000anv isn't your cup of tea after all.

tm.chen

Reaction score
ever consider trying an opened can? seems like w3000anv isn't your cup of tea after all.
Probably. I am probably OCDing about woodies but I do want to give them another shot before I start looking at others.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I thought tm.chen bro is looking for a DAC/amp solution last time to compliment yr Mac mini? How come suddenly looking for new headphones again? For starters who are starting out on ATH journey, to be frank I would not recommend you to buy those woodies unless you already have a pretty decent/solid desktop source at home to drive them properly. While ATH full-sized cans do not require enormous power to drive them unlike most Sennheisers/AKGs, as far as i know to my knowledge they still benefit alot from a good source/driving amplification.

Out of their current Art Monitor/Air Dynamic/Wood line-up series, their W series is actually the hardest one to tame IMHO so honestly, i wouldn't give my conclusions so fast just yet due to yr own brief impressions of testing with the iDAC/iCan combo from iFi Audio. As much as they are getting quite abit of rave reviews from head-fi recently, and ClieOS had also gave his positive impressions as well as covered in his original reviews of both products found on the iFi section on head-fi, I'm not entirely convinced as I have heard this combo for myself, and in my own words iCan in particular is not exactly a very excellent performer in terms for driving full-sized headphones actually. (their opamp parts are by Maxim, which isn't a very top range opamp actually, ATH actually uses Maxim opamp in some of their entry level stuffs such as the AT-PHA10 which roughly belongs to that same kind of level/performance, except the iCan has obviously more points ticked in terms of gain/dynamics/control over the amplification power)

I agree with kusanagivn, you should probably audition the W series properly with something that gives good warm and sweet midrange sound. Although my W100 at hm is not the top-of-the-range W series, it is still a much more balanced and enhanced model over the prev W10LTD/W10VTG and alot of prev reviewers who heard this put it on the same level as W1000, except it doesn't have the treble clarity/analyticalness of the W1K.

While my own Onkyo A-5VL at hm is not exactly the best solid-state amp for driving ATH's full-sized woodies, I still enjoyed the overall listening experience quite abit by driving it via my DAC-1000 to my TTVJ slim via RCA to mini lineout, and would say they have pretty excellent synergy to my ears. (I actually enjoyed this combo alittle more compared to just driving it directly via my Fostex HP-A3, which I felt that the HP-A3 suited my AD1000PRM/MDR-CD2000 more in terms of driving directly) Anyway I will be moving on shortly to ATH's AT-HA5000 solid-state amp later this yr so I'm not too worried abt synergy for my ATH phones anymore.

Bro try go save up for a better DAC/amp solution first, then go think about moving up to full-sized ATH headphones bah, this is my personal advice to you.
:)

Randius

Reaction score
Anyway I will be moving on shortly to ATH's AT-HA5000 solid-state amp later this yr so I'm not too worried abt synergy for my ATH phones anymore.

Let me know when you are about to get yours :)

Gonna save money for that too or the rumored W7000+HA7000 :s13::s13::s13:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you are about to get yours :)

Gonna save money for that too or the rumored W7000+HA7000 :s13::s13::s13:

You mean the HA7000BTL product that was announced last year? That one is an integrated DAC/amp product, very different frm HA5000 in that it has balanced outputs and a DAC portion in it. Audio-technica revealed it during their press conference last yr when unveiling their latest products such as ESW11LTD/AD2000X etc, but don't know why they did not have an actual sample unit for reporters to take pictures of, they only do an official announcement of it during the conference. Was waiting for more info to be leaked but apparently really no news of it for the last couple mths, so dunno whether we got trolled by ATH or not lols. Maybe they are really prepping for release later this yr during end of yr Winter, who knows.

Was intending to hoot AT-HA5000 by this mth one after pay-day, but last mth just hooted SSD for my PS3 and bought a new NEC ultrabook to replacing my aging laptop. Lately my interest was also piqued by the recently announced FitEar Parterre universals as well so after some serious consideration, I think i will hold off the amp purchase until later this yr, maybe see after the HA7000BTL gets announced liao whether the HA5000 will come down with price drops or not.

I originally had the intentions to sell off my W100 few weeks ago and other stuffs to gather funds for the HA5000, but thinking over it properly and reading some comments recently in those older W100 threads, I think i would rather keep the W100 woodies instead as it may be quite hard to acquire for a mint pair agn in future if I ever wanna get it again. Especially with comments coming from someone who had the legendary W2002 before as well, and also owned before some well-regarded cans such as the Grado RS1/MDR-R10, tbh if he says the W100 is his fav pair of cans then there must be some truth to it.

So before being able to fully unlock the full potential of my W100's, I do think it's probably a wise idea to keep it around with me for now.
:o

Recently been discovering some more ACG vocalists and been impressed once agn by the magic of ATH's woodies. Those of you who own ATH woodies one, please do go try this song embedded below. Really enjoyed this vocal track by Kana Hanazawa pretty damn much. She's an active seiyuu who has been casted in alot of anime series projects, unfortunately as I'm not exactly a huge anime fan/regular I don't recognise alot of her roles actually, except in Angel Beats and Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ganai which i have watched. Still doesn't deny the fact that she has some pretty healing vocals, very gd to listen to after a long day's work. I currently consider her to be one of my favs apart from Maaya Sakamoto, in terms of ACG vocalists. Be sure to check out her 1st album as well, she just released one back in Feb.

kusanagivn

Reaction score
I'm agree with Haonan, you should ready a decent combo dac/amp before go with W-series. I'm sure W3000 is the most technician AT cans with pretty good layer, imaging and separation but it can't shine with your combo. I don't think iCan enough to drive W3000. About AK100, it use Wolfson WM8740 more warm, smooth and more relax sound compare with ESS. That's my fav chip to pair with AT cans with best result. And still find another better amp. I have another advice for you, you can try ESW10 it's more easy to drive. You can plug direct on ipod or AK100 with best result. In my opinion ESW10 midrange very speacial and better than W5000, AD2000

@Haonan: I have a lucky change to hear both of Fitear Parterre, Fitear 334 from my friend. I like 334 for more with more warm sound and more bass. Parterre more neutral, less bass quantity, more detail and smoother sound than 334. Both of them still great with very hi-end and balance sound but they're not my taste. I love something more musical with warm, sweet, colored sound :s13: Thank for your songs too

Last edited:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where can I buy or demo the Yamamoto HA-02?

Yo bro. Check with Jaben themselves, I remember they do have a Yamamoto HA-02 always in stores. According to Yamamoto, the HA-02 was originally catered for the W1000 series, but it's also well-known to work extremely well with gd synergy with the W5000's as well. But for yr W3000ANV, i think its best to try the headphones with the Yamamoto first, as W3000 signature quite diff from W5000 actually.

Cheers! :o

orangecounty

Reaction score
hi everyone,
i finally took the plunge and just got the w3K. may i know where can i go about looking for the HA5000? of course the pocket needs some time to recover, thought i can start looking around first. hahaha. thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.