[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC66U Dark Knight Rises

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saw IDA logo behind the ASUS RT-AC68U... meaning should be releasing quite soon... since already qualify by IDA standards...

Hope its soon....

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the ASUS logo have indirect LED light making it glow?

Ok, I just saw the Made in china word, keeping my piggybank - not buying.

hmm... ain't Apple products MIC too? guess that's the "world factory"... what's most impt is the QC I reckon....

:o

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
can we split this thread please? keep this for ac66u only.

The ASUS AC68U interest list was initially coined by a forumer this thread and since the upcoming router belong to the AC WiFi generation so hence it has been in this thread.

In order to provide timely updates and support in regarding the ASUS RT-AC66U router to readers and users alike, the interest list will be moved.

Thanks for the highlighting and input.

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The ASUS AC68U interest list was initially coined by a forumer this thread and since the upcoming router belong to the AC WiFi generation so hence it has been in this thread.

In order to provide timely updates and support in regarding the ASUS RT-AC66U router to readers and users alike, the interest list will be moved.

Thanks for the highlighting and input.
Sorry boss, got u into trouble for the mo :x
I see that the speed is is up to 1.9ghz. Should have the channel width of 160 this time round I guess.

Any update to the pce adapter?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
First order of business for ASUS RT-AC66U routers

1). AiRadar (Beamforming) is in the pipeline scheduled for release for both ASUS RT-N66U and ASUS RT-AC66U. Why Beamforming? It's helps to enhances better coverage and WiFi connectivity.

2). As many are aware there isn't any new firmware updates since the ASUS .354, this is due to the resources are all been allocated to the development/stability/bug fixes of the new ASUS upcoming 5th generation AC WiFi routers firmware in preparation for the Computex Taipei 2013 product launches. Once the Computex Taipei 2013 show is over, we should be seeing the ASUS TW HQ firmware team back on track with the fixes/enhancements for both the ASUS RT-N66U/ASUS RT-AC66U.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry boss, got u into trouble for the mo :x
I see that the speed is is up to 1.9ghz. Should have the channel width of 160 this time round I guess.

Any update to the pce adapter?

No problem ;)

Just post any thoughts/discussion of the new interest list ASUS RT-AC68U thread the next time ;)

As the speed why it's up to 1900, this is what i have been told so channel bandwidth is still @ 80MHz for 5GHz AC

AC1900 ~ 5GHz (1300Mbps 3 spatial streams) + 2.4GHz (600Mbps 3 spatial streams)

As for new ASUS PCIe AC adapter, i haven't heard anything new from ASUS

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS RT-AC68U Interest List/MO

Sorry guys, the ASUS RT-AC68U Interest List/MO is off

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:s11:

I thought Beam forming (or AiRadar) was out awhile back, cant rem where I saw it in the menu. Was it N56U?

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First order of business for ASUS RT-AC66U routers

1). AiRadar (Beamforming) is in the pipeline scheduled for release for both ASUS RT-N66U and ASUS RT-AC66U. Why Beamforming? It's helps to enhances better coverage and WiFi connectivity.

2). As many are aware there isn't any new firmware updates since the ASUS .354, this is due to the resources are all been allocated to the development/stability/bug fixes of the new ASUS upcoming 5th generation AC WiFi routers firmware in preparation for the Computex Taipei 2013 product launches. Once the Computex Taipei 2013 show is over, we should be seeing the ASUS TW HQ firmware team back on track with the fixes/enhancements for both the ASUS RT-N66U/ASUS RT-AC66U.

is this enabled already ?

VideoOne2

Reaction score
Currently using N56U with Padavan firmware.
Is it worth upgrading to AC66U?
if you don't have or need .ac then its best stick to n56u running in .n protocol.

Its a different story, before you get n56u, some go straight to ac66u getting ready for .ac (when .ac adaptor become readily available and cheaper)

Last edited:

Leon

Reaction score
AC1900 ~ 5GHz (1300Mbps 3 spatial streams) + 2.4GHz (600Mbps 3 spatial streams)

Boss, may I know can all these bandwidth target at a single point/computer? Are there USB adapter that can support all these simultaneously?

If not, what is the best case scenario and with which USB adapter?

Thanks a million!

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
is this enabled already ?

On the contrary, this is not enabled by design. How it's going to be implemented @ firmware level is there is an enabled on/off switch for explicit beamforming from what i have seen.

As whether is it possible to be implemented on current Broadcom AC solutions, i don't think it's possible anymore.

ASUS responded with the following:

This 600Mbps functionality only works with the PCE-AC66 at the moment and boosts each 802.11n stream's throughput from 150Mbps to 200Mbps.

Broadcom responded with the following:

TurboQAM is a Broadcom technology incorporated into our 11ac chips which allow you to transmit and receive at 256 QAM while operating in the 2.4 GHz band.

All of the Broadcom 11ac chips support the TurboQAM feature including:

-1x1ac combo chips (used in HTC One and Galaxy S4)
-2x2 11ac
-3x3 11ac
-Enterprise 11ac solutions.

The "our 11ac chips" in the Broadcom response is significant. TurboQAM requires newer 11ac devices and is not implemented on N devices. This means that routers using N chips like the BCM4331 and BCM43217 can't become "AC1900" routers. This includes all AC1750 routers on the market to date.

So, my best guess at this point is that that RT-AC68U uses two BCM4360's—one for 5 GHz and the other for 2.4 GHz—to achieve its 1900 Mbps total link rate.

Source from ~> Inside Story: ASUS RT-AC56U & RT-AC68U - SmallNetBuilder

Last edited:

micarforum

Reaction score
Does AC66U contain the vlan tagging profile for Singtel's fibre broadband, so that we can directly connect it to the ONT, without the need for the crappy 5012NV, and still access MioTV and MioVoice?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Does AC66U contain the vlan tagging profile for Singtel's fibre broadband, so that we can directly connect it to the ONT, without the need for the crappy 5012NV, and still access MioTV and MioVoice?

Yes, all ASUS Black Diamond series routers all have VLAN profiles for SingTel Fiber. You can connect directly to ONT.

As for MIOTV, you can connect it to ASUS RT-AC66U LAN port 4 and as for voice, you can call SingTel customer support to move the voice services directly to the ONT without having to use the 5012 for voice and connect your DECT phones to the ONT first RJ11 phone port.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.