Back from South island New Zealand

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just go to either Millford or doubtful...

I spread my drive from te anau to Christchurch in 2 days... drive to lake tekapo spend the night then the rest on the second day... Lake tekapo is nice... The second half drive is quite boring...

May wanna spend more time at wanaka and queenstown to ski or climb some mountains..

kakashixx

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some help with my itinerary.

Day 1: Arrive Christchurch
Day 2: TranzAlpine to Greymouth. Drive from Greymouth to Franz Joseph Glacier
Day 3: Franz Joseph Glacier
Day 4: Drive to Fox Glacier. Sky dive.
Day 5: Drive to Wanaka.
Day 6: Drive to Queenstown
Day 7: Queenstown
Day 8: Drive to Te Anau. Glowworm caves.
Day 9: Milford Sound day tour
Day 10: ?
Day 11: ?
Day 12: ?
Day 13: ?
Day 14: Christchurch. Back to Singapore.

Any suggestion on where to go from Day 10 to Day 13? I'm thinking of Lake Tekapo, but surely that won't take more than 2 days, including the drive?

add 1 more day in wanaka , 2 more days in queenstown, 1 day to go lake tekapo since u haf to go back to christchurch anyway.

catwhisperer

Reaction score
what kind of activities are you interested in and when are you going?
planning a trip to NZ (unconfirmed yet), but you can consider:

Te Anau - Glowworm caves, horse rides
Mt Cook - kayaking at glacier lakes (Glacier Explorers - Mt. Cook Village - Reviews of Glacier Explorers - TripAdvisor)
or Franz Josef - kayaking (Glacier Country Kayaks - Franz Josef - Reviews of Glacier Country Kayaks - TripAdvisor)
Queenstown - skiing (if in august), otherwise activities like canyoning and rafting?
Wanaka - Puzzle world
Hokitika - hokitika gorge
Punakaki(?) - Pancake rock formations? not very interested but came across something like that.
lake tekapo - southern lakes - 2013 is when solar flare is max, and lake tekapo is one of the best places to view the southern lights esp b/w april and sep. since you're driving, if during low season you can be more flexible with your schedule and plan your arrival in lake tekapo only when the skies are clear to maximise your chances of sighting southern lights and if not, just stargazing.
If you're driving during winter you need to consider actual daylight and effective driving hours a day too.

Last edited:

LiangZzZ

Reaction score
hi bros, if i wish to tour south island in 10 days and covering most of the key attractions, should I start from Christchurch or Queenstown?

BlurKing87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. great thread to read while planning on a trip to NZ.

would like to have some suggestions for a 7 days road trip during mid/end winter.

Day 1 - arrive at CHC, depart to Fox Glacier through Arthur's Pass (1 night)
The drive might be a little tricky during winter season? Anyone has any experience on this?
Day 2 - Fox Glacier half day walk (read good reviews on it)
Depart for Wanaka - Puzzling World
Depart for Queenstown after or should I stay at Wanaka for a night?
Day 3 - Queenstown (bungy?skydive?jetboat? we saw a combo deal at combos.co.nz !)
Day 4 - Milford Sound? Te Anau?
Day 5 - Depart for Lake Tekapo, 1 night stay at Lake Tekapo or stay at Queenstown since I will be at Mount Cook?
Day 6 - 1 night stay at Mount Cook
Day 7 - Back to CHC, explore and return home

Thanks in advance all for your inputs.

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. great thread to read while planning on a trip to NZ.

would like to have some suggestions for a 7 days road trip during mid/end winter.

Day 1 - arrive at CHC, depart to Fox Glacier through Arthur's Pass (1 night)
The drive might be a little tricky during winter season? Anyone has any experience on this?

Thanks in advance all for your inputs.

I did this drive in Oct which is considered spring, and in some parts it was cold , wet and there was still snow at the side of the roads meaning the roads could have ice on them. Furthermore there were impatient drivers behind me who kept tailgating me so closely around the bends.

Other than that, the scenery and experience was wonderful but I don't think I would do this drive in winter. BTW winter driving requires snow chains on your tyres.

The road at Arthurs Pass :

NZ_South_Island_2011_015.jpg

Last edited:

dleodleo

Master Member
Reaction score
For free and easy, must drive is it? Cannot take public transport?

Is the driver seat at the same side of Singapore?

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Self drive is the best way really. The public transport network is not well developed except between major cities and you will waste a lot of time waiting.

Driving position is the same as Singapore. In fact it used to be that a lot of cars de-registered from Singapore were sent to NZ and sold as used imports.

BlurKing87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did this drive in Oct which is considered spring, and in some parts it was cold , wet and there was still snow at the side of the roads meaning the roads could have ice on them. Furthermore there were impatient drivers behind me who kept tailgating me so closely around the bends.

Other than that, the scenery and experience was wonderful but I don't think I would do this drive in winter. BTW winter driving requires snow chains on your tyres.

The road at Arthurs Pass :

NZ_South_Island_2011_015.jpg

Hey man, thanks for the reply. It definitely looks like ice will form up from your picture. I would most probably give the alps a miss this time round.

Did you drive from Christchurch to Queenstown via the east coast?

Last edited:

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I went from Christchurch to Fox Glacier via Arthurs Pass, then down to Queenstown, then Te Anau, Dunedin, Mt Cook and then back to Christchurch.

BlurKing87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I went from Christchurch to Fox Glacier via Arthurs Pass, then down to Queenstown, then Te Anau, Dunedin, Mt Cook and then back to Christchurch.

that sounds like a perfect loop. it took you more than 7 days i suppose?

dleodleo

Master Member
Reaction score
Very very nice pictures and sceneries. I enjoy reading.

Need to save $ first and will follow your itinerary when I go.

martin

Reaction score
Guys, I don't drive. Does anyone know of a reliable tour operator there so I can book a land tour over there?

Hendrix

Reaction score
Can anybody advice me.. I'll be going nz south island for 2 weeks. I have booked all accomodations but have yet to book for activities such as skydiving, milford cruise and heli hike. Should i book them in advance or not?

Also, would it be better to pay via credit card or cash? i do know that there is an additional 2.5% transaction fee. So i'm thinking maybe to pay everything by cash?

alpc

Reaction score
If you feel ok to carry all the cash around for the trip, go ahead with paying in cash... I paid most stuff with CC.

carleon8

Reaction score
Hi,

How much petrol do I need for a drive around South Island?

My itinerary will include driving from Greymouth down to Milford Sound, and then up across to Kaikoura, and finally back to Christchurch.

I assume the gas prices are about the same as SG's?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.