Microsoft Surface

lexmarq

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone encountered the problem of electric shock when touching the side of Surface Pro during charging?

I got it before on my Surface RT, but that's my fingers is touching the tablet and elbow touching a metal surface.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone encountered the problem of electric shock when touching the side of Surface Pro during charging?

Its fine if your fingers are touching it.
However once any part of your tiny hairs interacts with the surface, you will get them..

I have that annoying issue on both Surface RT and Surface Pro

chinhau5

Reaction score
Its fine if your fingers are touching it.
However once any part of your tiny hairs interacts with the surface, you will get them..

I have that annoying issue on both Surface RT and Surface Pro

I have the same problem. :( I thought I was the only one since I got my unit exchanged but still having the same problem.

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems to be affecting every unit with SG/UK based 3 pin plug but not the US 2 pin one.

That's strange cos the US pin does not have the earth pin. But I think it's the issue with the earthing circuitry not done properly inside coupled with a metal case. Same problem do almost all China tablets that are made of metal cases. IMO plastic is better.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm using the US 2 pin plug for my surface RT and I also get the electric shock, haha.

I saw a post somewhere at Twitter before, that the new plug for US variant have the issue fixed. Can't seems to find it now..

Surface Pro owners report shocks while charging | Microsoft | Geek.com
Microsoft Surface RT Tingle sensation | Annoying stuff I figured out (or am trying to)
Getting shocked by Surface : Surface

Microsoft does replace the entire set, no matter where you are from. But given that most of them are affected, it doesn't make sense to do so

That's strange cos the US pin does not have the earth pin. But I think it's the issue with the earthing circuitry not done properly inside coupled with a metal case. Same problem do almost all China tablets that are made of metal cases. IMO plastic is better.

Yeah... given that the connector to Surface does touch its metal cover.
I don't agree to plastic being better however... it feels premium like the iPad Mini.
Devices like Galaxy Note is although light but it just feels garbage & cheap to me.

Last edited:

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
finally took the plunge and hoot 1 set yesterday...
look at many places, challenger, harvey norman (almost all no free gift) and finally newstead at funan still got the mifi as free gift.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what did u guys use as a carrier/bag? the incipo bag is just nice, but i need something bigger, so that can keep the charger + mouse + pen.
n u guys use any screen protector?

Red_Cheesepie

Master Member
Reaction score
what did u guys use as a carrier/bag? the incipo bag is just nice, but i need something bigger, so that can keep the charger + mouse + pen.
n u guys use any screen protector?
I'm still hunting for a messenger bag.. I plan to put my surface pro, charger, mouse, hdd, mifi, thumbdrive and preferably able to put my speaker in. Im using matt screen protector, why... becos previously I'm using all matt screen notebooks and I just love the anti glare haha

I'm currently using a case for macbook air.. looks and functions great but I need smth that i can sling on..

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
It seems to be affecting every unit with SG/UK based 3 pin plug but not the US 2 pin one.

I wonder if there's any health hazard due to prolonged exposure to this kind of shock.
LOL, the reason is because your body picks up electrical charges as you go about your business. When you touch a grounded metal surface like the Surface connected to grounded charging adaptor, the charge will leak to the ground. If the voltage is high enough, an electric arc form near your skin & the metal surface and you feel the "shock".

To solve this, disconnect the ground. If you get shock even when using a 2-pin socket, the charge is coming from somewhere else.

And there's no health risk lah. Your body is itself generating a lot of electrical power...

Last edited:

roflolmao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone clarify the battery life on the surfaces?

want to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Red_Cheesepie

Master Member
Reaction score
can anyone clarify the battery life on the surfaces?

want to hear from someone who has actually used it.

aiyo... why so many of this battery life of surface thingy haha.. mine can last 4 hours minimum.. 5 to 6 hours normal usage not a problem for me..

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
aiyo... why so many of this battery life of surface thingy haha.. mine can last 4 hours minimum.. 5 to 6 hours normal usage not a problem for me..
I wonder how much juice can one squeeze out of it if you throttle to 40% of max cpu

chinhau5

Reaction score
May I know how long it takes for you guys to charge your surface pro from 10% to 100% while it's on? Mine took like 6-7 hours, and I wasn't even running anything intensive while charging.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.